Any takers - 90th anniversary Spyder?

tomoshea

I have to say my £16k gamble and £9k main dealer recommission is looking like money well spent.

Didn't expect them to rise this quickly - last 18 months prices have gone from mid 30s to this to this ......

Anyone know this one?

Mine is 34/90

Attachments

• A9EFD18A-D399-4FD5-8B3C-C6F3D4ABC575.jpg
    A9EFD18A-D399-4FD5-8B3C-C6F3D4ABC575.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 217

Andyk

This was discussed the other week with as you can imagine lots of talk around the dealer hiking the price up. Think the last one that was for sale was around 40/42k.......They can ask but will they sell it....?.......Good luck to them.

allandwf

I'm sure it will sell at some point, it's a car for the collector. Do you buy it now, or wait for who knows how long for another to come up for sale? By which time prices may have risen anyway.

tomoshea

I know of a confirmed £47k and £53k sale...

Testing the market I suspect....

rockits

Can't see it myself but you never know. Plenty of people out there with too much money....me excluded

bigbob

Can't see it myself but you never know. Plenty of people out there with too much money....me excluded

Fluffy markets with illiquid asset classes can turn very quickly. No idea when it will happen but you can value a given 'rare' car at £10k, £50k or £100k depending on whether the next buyer can convince themselves that the following buyer will pay more. Investment cars are not like regular investments in that they do not provide an income and it actually costs money to maintain and own them. You cannot use them to any material degree - i.e. they are not really cars - or it would reduce their value appreciably. In plain English, buy them as cars and enjoy them, buy them as investments and sometime, somehow you will have nowhere to sit when the music stops, then they halve in value in six months. In fact they don't halve in value as they become so illiquid that they have little accurate value - you cannot mark something market when there is no market. Then people start driving them again and enjoying them for what they really are.....CARS.....then the cycle starts once more.

tomoshea

In summary ... buy low sell high.... know when to get out.... buy low again....have some fun..

BuckRog64

Fluffy markets with illiquid asset classes can turn very quickly. No idea when it will happen but you can value a given 'rare' car at £10k, £50k or £100k depending on whether the next buyer can convince themselves that the following buyer will pay more. Investment cars are not like regular investments in that they do not provide an income and it actually costs money to maintain and own them. You cannot use them to any material degree - i.e. they are not really cars - or it would reduce their value appreciably. In plain English, buy them as cars and enjoy them, buy them as investments and sometime, somehow you will have nowhere to sit when the music stops, then they halve in value in six months. In fact they don't halve in value as they become so illiquid that they have little accurate value - you cannot mark something market when there is no market. Then people start driving them again and enjoying them for what they really are.....CARS.....then the cycle starts once more.

Yep, that's what happened last time. I wonder if the rise in base rate accelerates the current market softening into a freefall?

outrun

I agree with bigbob on this which is why I won't spend over what I did with the Stradale. It's just too much risk for me.

There are no cars that remain bargains, the market has swept them all up and is now overvaluing average ones. For example, I have owned 2 964 911 Carrara 4s which are now north of £50k. That's lunacy when a current 991 can be had for the same money. The 964 was the unloved Porsche and they were brought in from mainland Europe for below £10k in left hand drive. They are great fun but not worth £50k. The 928 is another with an s4 now being £25k. They were £5k and that's because they made loads and are tough to maintain. Only the GTS and rare manual versions should command strong money, the rest are not special.

The other one that's gone nuts is the Integrale. I love them but £50k for a temperamental, corroding, LHD oddity, I don't think so.

tomoshea

Some of us are around long enough to remember what happened in the 80s.... anyone recall what Ferrari 308GT4 was going for at the height......

Methinks there is an element of history repeating ....market fundamentals are different but the pattern is similar.....

And with brexit ....... tick tock tick tock tick tock .... methinks

rockits

There are still cars out there that offer good value & have room to move north. The R129's have been low for some time. I bought a nice SL500 a couple of years back & nice straight examples are hard to find. Lots of dross & cars of this ilk where people neglect them forms few years & they suffer. It was 85k new and it shows/feels it. They dropped to under 10k but decent ones are 15-20k now and moving up. You can still find a rare good opportunity if you are looking far, wide & hard enough also are quick.

Andyk

Just looking at the price again....you could get a 2 seat Stradale for what they are asking......

philw696

Just look at Ferrari 456 over 30 the last time I looked on PH for sale either the cheapest a left Booker at 49,000 double what I paid for mine in 2012.

BL330

We had 2 of these show up to Auto Italia last weekend.
I joked with the owners these things are common as muck, as they parked next to each other in the line.
One blue as pictured, the other silver.