Latest gov nonsense!

Canova

Hi
The debate on pollution from vehicles tends to distract one from the real sources of pollution, such as coal burning power stations. It is a fact that Germany and France are increasing their reliance on coal , ( in the case of Germany they are burning Lignite - brown Coal , which is even more polluting ) Their arrogance is unbelievable given that Germany hosted a climate change conference last week in which they lectured everyone on increased emissions whilst increasing their own carbon dioxide emissions. See the following report:
https://instituteforenergyresearch.org/analysis/france-germany-turn-coal/

Attacking motorists while ignoring a far greater cause of pollution is Kafkaesque and grossly unfair

alfatwo

Basically its all about generating large amounts of cash though taxes from the local punters, although it may get more difficult when we leave the EU in 18 months time..

Regards old petrol V8's, I think we have around 5 to 7 years then were done!

Dave

MrMickS

Basically its all about generating large amounts of cash though taxes from the local punters, although it may get more difficult when we leave the EU in 18 months time..

Regards old petrol V8's, I think we have around 5 to 7 years then were done!

Dave

Nah. Where there's a tax possibility then there's a way to keep them on the road.

P R

So it looks like all non Euro 6 diesels (of which mine is one, being Euro 5) will move up a tax band next year.. so about £20 increase. (that assumes he meant next gen diesels being Euro6!)

MrMickS

So it looks like all non Euro 6 diesels (of which mine is one, being Euro 5) will move up a tax band next year.. so about £20 increase. (that assumes he meant next gen diesels being Euro6!)

Only for new cars though and no impact on commercial vehicles which are the ones that you see most emitting foul clouds of smoke under load. So another half-assed attempt to do something that won't have any real impact on the problem thus allowing them to have a second bite at the cherry next year.

To be honest I see possible improvements in areas like this to be the only benefit of Brexit. Instead of having to get emissions controls agreed across the EU we can simply set our own tests and targets and deal with the issue. I don't see this happening though. It'll just be tinkering with things and hoping electric and self driving comes along quickly enough that they can then penalise massively anyone that doesn't jump onboard.

P R

Yes you are right. The initial reports were that diesels would be moving up one band except the newest euro versions. I didn't know you were allowed to sell a diesel if it wasn't Euro 6 now anyway?