DTC codes B1014 and B1020

Maser077

On to the next problem. I have a check right side light signal on my dashboard. I connected an Autel ms906ts (very useful) and ran a diagnostic test on all modules. On the NBC (body computer) module, it picked up two codes related to that check light:

B1014 - RH position lights - O.C. (Both)/ S.C. VBat
B1020 - Reverse light relay error - S.C. GND

I believe the first code relates to the right hand side rear light. That light however works just fine.
The second code is obviously a relay issue in one of the fuse boxes, but which one? I could not pin point it using the owner's manual.

Anyone have any idea how to resolve this fault codes?

Thanks in advance
09 Maserati Granturismo S

voicey

Quite a few lights in cars equipped with the Florence CAN bus system are driven directly by the body computer (NBC). This includes the position lights (sidelights in the UK).

B1014 is an error that covers the malfunction of the RH sidelight. You need to open the code to see more detail - your text states it is open circuit and short circuit to VBatt. This cannot be the case but I suspect you have a problem with the wiring. I would start by disconnecting the body computer and running a few tests on the sidelight connector (whilst crossing my fingers that the problem isn't with the NBC).

The reverse lights use a relay. If you have a ZF gearbox then the relay is driven by the NBC, MC-Shift and DuoSelect cars have the relay driven by the NCR. Since you have B1020 you have a ZF box and your text suggests that the NBC can see a short circuit to ground. The relay is in the boot - I would remove it and test. Then move onto testing the wiring by disconnecting the NBC and testing at the relay end.

Maser077

Quite a few lights in cars equipped with the Florence CAN bus system are driven directly by the body computer (NBC). This includes the position lights (sidelights in the UK).

B1014 is an error that covers the malfunction of the RH sidelight. You need to open the code to see more detail - your text states it is open circuit and short circuit to VBatt. This cannot be the case but I suspect you have a problem with the wiring. I would start by disconnecting the body computer and running a few tests on the sidelight connector (whilst crossing my fingers that the problem isn't with the NBC).

The reverse lights use a relay. If you have a ZF gearbox then the relay is driven by the NBC, MC-Shift and DuoSelect cars have the relay driven by the NCR. Since you have B1020 you have a ZF box and your text suggests that the NBC can see a short circuit to ground. The relay is in the boot - I would remove it and test. Then move onto testing the wiring by disconnecting the NBC and testing at the relay end.

B1020 resolved, thanks!

B1014 still has me confused though. It clicked in my head, this might be related to the fact that this car was imported to Canada (which requires daylight running lights). I noticed that when the vehicle is on, the headlights are always on and the headlight switch next to the steering wheel becomes useless. There clearly was some rewiring. Looking at the fuse box in front of the driver seat, I noticed two plugs under T01 and T11, a split wire. That does not look right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 68

Maser077

Can someone please take a photo of their fuse box in front of the driver seat and post it (granturismo)?

CatmanV2

Those cables should not be there, I am pretty damned sure. Ping me in the morning though / tomorrow and I'll photo it

C

Maser077

I cleared the b1014 code and ran individual active tests on front right head light (on all bulbs but individually), right side blinker and rear right lights. The only test that generated the error right after light came on were the rear position light led (first line of led strip from the top).

When I disconnect the rear lights, the same code appears.

copperline

Did you ever figure out why you have the split wire? On mind both red wires go to the gray connector

Zep

The OP hasn’t been on the site since 2019 so I wouldn’t hold out much hope for an answer....

copperline

Thats a shame as this is the first mention of that split wire thing that I have seen anywhere. I really want to know what that other connector goes to.