Headlight Adjustment (not xenon)

FIFTY

My nearside dipped beam is pointing at the floor, it has been like that either since I bought it or shortly after

I have managed to get my fingers to the adjuster to the right of the dipped beam bulb access cap through the inspection hatch (not advisable I hurt my forearm a bit), gave it a half to full turn with the dipped beam on in a dark garage and the light did not even twitch so I'm assuming the adjuster has come apart internally at the hinge

Can these be taken out and rebult without splitting the lens? I have run various searches to find a how-to Safrane refers to a couple of times but I can only find information on how to fix the self leveling xenons.

Also in order to take the headlights out is it better to take the front bumper off or try to slide them out of the holes? There are how to's on both on here just wondering what the best/safes/least frustrating method is especially as I don't have small hands/wrists

While the headlights are out I can restore the hazy lenses properly instead of the temporary patch I do every year.

safrane

Check out Matt's Hiw to on front bumper removal as he takes the headlights out as part of the early stages of that job ans there are plenty of photos.

allandwf

You really need a fair distance to shine on. If it's in the garage, then against the door it may be unperceivable. I use a wall around 30' away to set mine.

FIFTY

Yes you would expect that to fail the MOT as well as the completely hollow cats and no front brakes but apparently Maserati's are exempt or at least mine was :)

@Allan, that is a fair point but it really is pointing all the way down as per this photo I took back in summer

attachment.php

FIFTY

The other thing I was going to ask while I have taken the bumper off is there anything else worth doing other than cleaning and tidying? I know to change the fog lamp bulbs to match the phillips H1s as I believe they are the same fitment

conaero

Forum Owner
The other thing I was going to ask while I have taken the bumper off is there anything else worth doing other than cleaning and tidying? I know to change the fog lamp bulbs to match the phillips H1s as I believe they are the same fitment

Yes, replace the leaking Power steering radiator, you will see wet patch to the left side (viewed from the front) where it leaks down. Marios has some aftermarket ones for £300. I would also consider changing the water rad too if its not been done in the past 5 years, they are not too dear from Ross at Meridien with our discount. (circa £250)

allandwf

Would also be a MOT fail if it was out and has been since you owned the car?
MOT rules changed regarding this I was told. I believe the dazzling oncoming traffic is still in, but the minimum height part changed.

FIFTY

Yes, replace the leaking Power steering radiator, you will see wet patch to the left side (viewed from the front) where it leaks down. Marios has some aftermarket ones for £300. I would also consider changing the water rad too if its not been done in the past 5 years, they are not too dear from Ross at Meridien with our discount. (circa £250)

I checked recently and the PS rad was not leaking but I'll budget for getting a new one if I need it... Cooling rad is a good shout I think all the hoses could use renewing as well.

I'll start taking it apart when I'm better from my op tomorrow and get this job done over Jan/Feb

FIFTY

Just went through Matt's thread on front bumper removal it seems OK just a little time consu ming and will be fun doing it on the floor or with axel stands. http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/showthread.php/20397-How-to-Front-Bumper-Removal

Back to the original question, any info on rebuilding the adjuster?

Voicey pointed me at his article on the same issue on the Ferrari 360 https://aldousvoice.com/2016/02/21/ferrari-360-headlight-level-adjustment/

The mechanism looks a little different but the principle must be similar. This is a photo I took earlier
20171121_121131.jpg

FIFTY

Thought I should add a little bit of closure on this.

The adjuster did not require rebuilding... Turns out someone had wound it so much in one direction that it got stuck but not damage

As both headlights were out I counted the number of threads on the other side and matched the LH headlight dipped beam adjuster to show the same number of threads. Reinstalled the headlights along with the front bumper and they are perfect now and I can actually see where i am going at night so happy days