FD DBW Module

StuartW

In an effort to make the best ever Maserati (!) even better, I have been toying with the idea of fitting one of these modules to my Stradale.

Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, to tell about them being fitted to a GT-S MC-Shift or better still, to a Stradale? I have read lots about them on 4200 and GS and the overriding opinion seems excellent so I would interested to hear what anyone has to say about them on a GT.

Thanks folks

Mr S

Its one of the few things i want to get done on my GS, after seeing what people have said. But being a later car, id imagine your one would benefit less, however, im sure they would still be of some use to you.

Ebenezer

I have the DBW on my QP Auto. Honestly can't remember what it was like before hand though. One of the guys servicing the car, who didn't know I'd had it fitted, commented on how quickly it got off the mark. For the auto it just impacts the dynamics vs throttle position/speed of movement and gear selection. I can understand how the normal QP could be improved given it was supposed to be a luxo barge, but you'd have to speak to FD on realistically what could be done with a Stradale, as you'd hope that Maserati would have dialled everything up already. Does anyone know of the different firmware in the various ECUs for the different flavours of GT? You might get better clutch ware as this seems to be another major plus for F1 gearboxes (but doesn't apply to me)
Eb

azapa

My day job is engineering, software etc. I understand cars pretty well. But I just can't understand how the DBW modules work. I know it changes the "MAP" or the relation of throttle peddle push to actual throttle opening, but if I just mash my throttle to the floor, with and without, how does a DBW change things?

Is it as stupid as just doing:

50% pedal push = 50% throttle opening as standard
50% pedal push = 75% throttle opening with DBW module?

I must be wrong. Can someone explain better?

CatmanV2

Not quite. It also adjusts the shift points and speed. For example the MC shift will only shift at max speed (I believe) at 5k revs. If the DBW tells the TCU that the revs are high, it'll shift at the higher rate. Make sense?

(BTW that's not all it does)

C

azapa

A little. I guess it would have very little effect in a Stradale. When pushing the race button it drops one or two gears as is.

What else does it do? It is NOT an ECU, so I can't imagine it. I'd love to take a peak inside one, but can imagine already whats in there (a quite simple PIC?).

CatmanV2

A little. I guess it would have very little effect in a Stradale. When pushing the race button it drops one or two gears as is.

What else does it do? It is NOT an ECU, so I can't imagine it. I'd love to take a peak inside one, but can imagine already whats in there (a quite simple PIC?).

Yes but how fast does it drop those gears?

FWIW I tend to agree on a Strad but generally they seem to be pretty good pieces of kit. Sure it's almost certainly a PIC, but the value (and cost) goes into the research and programming. Just like any software really.

Whether it's *worth* it, I can't answer. I'd quite like one though.

C

StuartW

Thanks for your comments, I am talking to FD about it too plus I had also spotted the one listed for sale on Ebay US but it looks like it may be specific to a 4.2
Will let you know if I decide to take the plunge

Ebenezer

Would be very interested to actually know what it does. Most of what's been written is the drivers perception on how the car feels once it's in. The geek in me wants to know what it's actually doing and when. (and hope that I haven't bought an expensive plastic box which just adds a few millivolts to the signal to make the appropriate ECU think that the loud pedal has been turned up!
Eb

FIFTY

I have the FD ECM (engine control module) I didn't bother with the DBW because with the combination of my free flowing exhaust and the ECM I am very happy with the throttle response, any more sensitive it would make the car twitchy or end up putting too many RPM through the clutch (manual car).

On the manuals similar to eb's auto QP it only remaps the throttle to be more sensitive with a dip switch for a comfort option

I don't think they do the ECM for the 4.7 but it is available for the 4.2 GranTourismo Catman you should definitely consider one of those too makes the engine perform so nicell even in petrol saving economy mode compared to the standard map

StuartW

Well, their sale starts on Monday, through to 11/12 and with the pound being stronger against the dollar than 6 months ago, it could be tempting!

Ebenezer

I think for auto's it also decides to kick down either sooner, and more gears or both, depending on the switch setting - "aggressive" or "very aggressive". - The phrase "ready for war" was used at one point on their marketing blurb...!
Of course, in a manual it really has nothing to play with except the throttle.
I keep fantasizing about the ECM but realistically what's the use of an extra 30HP at 7000 rpm for £2K? What you really need (An forgive me if this is codswallop) is more torque below 3500 rpm which it doesn't really give you.
Eb

FIFTY

Ooh so tempting I really want the FD coilovers and their ARB's but that is over $3500 invoice right there without fitting...

But even with the sale after duty will put the coilovers above the cost of the KW euro equivalents.... there is no other supplier for the uprated ARBs so I am tempted especially if the do a third off (doubt it will be that much though)

Here is the list of parts on sale no prices agaisn't them until Monday
http://www.formuladynamics.com/holidaysale/

C, The DBW and ECM are included ;) if you want to try the ECM first I don't mind you driving my 4200 with it equipped...

Mr S

Interesting that they have a sale on. So for my GS, would people recommend the DBW module over the ECM one? Obviously being CC, id want more precision from the gearbox.