DAB radio in 4200

Delmonte

This might sound frivolous and I'm sure I'll get told to turn the radio off listen to the engine, but...
I want a proper DAB radio in my cars. And Bluetooth is nice to have. Not usually a problem, just change the head unit and aerial and that would be fine for the Gransport as its single DIN. in a 4200 it's not, it's a built in radio, I'm not an expert in ICE but does this mean you can't change the head unit, or is there another way? I'm guessing the 4200 won't have DAB already because pretty much nothing did in that era?

CatmanV2

Best would be to use an adapter which picks up DAB and re-transmits as FM with RDS

Changing the 'head' in a 4200 is not for the faint of heart

C

safrane

I would look at utilising the aux input at the back on the NIT unit.

There must be something on the market that acts as a DAB receiver?

CatmanV2

I would look at utilising the aux input at the back on the NIT unit.

There must be something on the market that acts as a DAB receiver?

You could use a loudlink and the CD input, but it's a bit of a faff, or *possibly* just the CD input.

C

zagatoes30

If you connected such a receiver via CD In or Loudlink Aux you would still need to control the receiver some how to change channels etc. not something you can do from the headset is it? I had loudlink in the Spyder to take iPod input but controlling it still required touching the iPod - which I guess is a no no with the new hands free rules

safrane

You can get small units similar to the Parrot phone systems ans just use the NIT for the interface with the speakers.

safrane

The NIT is the item under the arm rest.

It contains all the Infotainment gubbings, radio, satnav, CD etc

2b1ask1

Special case
Last option above sounds pheasable and there is or was information on Maserati life (US forum) about decoding the signals but I don’t know anyone ever truly did it. The problem is it is all linked into the CAN-BUS/INFO-BUS systems what I understand has worked is to remove the facia with the display, 3-D print a replacement and install an iPad or similar with a power supply wired into ignition. The old display and button pads etc can be retained and laid in the voids behind the console, retaining all the function but unseen. This means if you ever need to reconfigure it all it is still there. Just a thought.

FIFTY

Another option: Bluetooth Loudlink + app for your favorite station(s) on your phone

Granted it uses data and not great on the motorway if the signal is patchy

PaulCambio

Thats what I've got in my 4200 (the Audioleads DAB unit). Generally ok, but as it uses an FM frequency to connect to the car radio, the signal can be a bit dodgy at times.

CatmanV2

Thats what I've got in my 4200 (the Audioleads DAB unit). Generally ok, but as it uses an FM frequency to connect to the car radio, the signal can be a bit dodgy at times.

Agreed. And the DAB reception in Essex is pants as well

C

miket

I like the look of this, seems like a quality product, would this give the performance of a proper DAB head unit?
Have you used it / know much about it?

I have one in my spyder, it’s very good light years ahead of the standard radio, I’ve used it with a windscreen mounted antenna which performs quite well. You can also use it to control your iTunes or an auxiliary input.

Delmonte

Now I've bought a car may I resurrect this thread? A few people here talking about an aux input in the NIT? I can't find one, any pointers? Also, if I do find it, how do you select aux as a source? I can find that either...
And finally, where is the aerial on a 4200? I seem to be unable to find one lol

zagatoes30

From memory there is no aux input on the NIT, generally what you to do is connect another device that does have an aux input into the CD input. I used a loudlink with a memory card. You then create 6 directories on the memory card, assign one to the aux port and add music tracks to the other 5. Then when you select the CD with the aux port assigned you get access to the device in the aux port and when you select the other 5 you get access to the 5 directories of music.