Used 3200 feature...Pistonheads.

Andyk

2nd that....It was always mostly electrics and sensors......Engines were pretty robust it's just the bits around it that weren't so. Although I had mine for two years and it never missed a beat....Just before I went to pick her up from the dealer I bought her from the air sensor and knock sensor went which they obviously fixed which cost then £2200 back then.

Twinturbo

Owned mine for just over a year now and had a few problems with window assembly,throttle body but was bought cheap and expected dramas, now it's running strong as, AUTO in manual mode with traction off it will break traction on boost in first second and no CELs since swapping to a low 11kmile throttle body , timed on multiple devices showing 4.7-4.8sec 0-60 with semi slicks I've heard the auto don't have the end float issue so will be more reliable so I'm really happy with mine ATM , mods are race seats,full straight exhaust with x pipe and rerouted pierburg valve to prevent the fake sequential powerband all my boost comes on at 3-3.5k very competitive with a well driven manual now IMO straight line. For those who don't know the pierburg valve holds stock Spring boost of 8psi at low rpm then electronically kicks it up to around 14-15psi around 5k to make it simulate a sequential twin turbo. Rid that and u will receive one massive torque surge all the way to redline

Lozzer

Owned mine for just over a year now and had a few problems with window assembly,throttle body but was bought cheap and expected dramas, now it's running strong as, AUTO in manual mode with traction off it will break traction on boost in first second and no CELs since swapping to a low 11kmile throttle body , timed on multiple devices showing 4.7-4.8sec 0-60 with semi slicks I've heard the auto don't have the end float issue so will be more reliable so I'm really happy with mine ATM , mods are race seats,full straight exhaust with x pipe and rerouted pierburg valve to prevent the fake sequential powerband all my boost comes on at 3-3.5k very competitive with a well driven manual now IMO straight line. For those who don't know the pierburg valve holds stock Spring boost of 8psi at low rpm then electronically kicks it up to around 14-15psi around 5k to make it simulate a sequential twin turbo. Rid that and u will receive one massive torque surge all the way to redline

Interesting, tell me more!

Twinturbo

I wouldn't recommend this mod on a manual considering the 2 extra gears you would have serious wheel spin and it would be dangerous to say the least , I did it in stages from 8 psi standard Spring rate to boost controlling manually up to 17psi and that's the limit of traction on my 285 semi slicks warmed up when it hits boost in 2nd gear first gives a controlled spin on boost, the factory setup makes a lot of sense staging the power delivery but I found it frustrating on my auto and wanted the power earlier so that's why I made it into a natural twin turbo setup with the displacement of the engine regulating boost spool together without the valve kicking in high boost at what seems like a long wait from 8psi at 3k to 5-6k hitting 15psi. Just to mention I reset battery before doing this mod and had it A/F tested by a wideband to make sure it wasn't leaning out between the 3-5k and it doesn't so the 2 map sensors do a great job regulating the fuel on these cars I'm very impressed and knocks around a second off the 0-60 time on an auto so not a bad mod for those wanting more from their 3200gt

Twinturbo

I can but I am very wary of what may become of anyone trying this on a manual and those with little tuning knowledge I will formulate a modification for dummies that will run stock boost but kick it all in at 3-3.5k just so there is no tuning to take care of and most of u don't have boost gauges so I will have to run tests before hand as I don't want anyone having issues, there is a safe fuel cut at 18psi so there really is no large danger involved yet I want to do this right

alfatwo

So what would your thoughts be on over boosting on a manual, as over 1.0 bar would be getting tricky!

Dave

Twinturbo

T dangerousI think the stock staged boost is setup for manual you get a nice 8psi surge for torque not too wild then later up in the revs when your travelling at higher speeds also you get the full 14-15psi depending on elevation and temperatures,which makes it safer and for the average driver this is what they prefer a smooth linear powerband .I have an auto so I really can't comment what a manual driver wants more from the boost delivery or what frustrates u about the experiences your facing already , let me know what issues u have and I could probably source a plan to achieve a better power delivery but a boost gauge is almost a necessity as to monitor and make sure your happy with when the boost is delivered otherwise all u have is your bum to go by lol,if I do a write up on this when I get the time I will be doing it on the safe side of stock boost and a manual bleed T peice of a specific size as it cannot be adjusted and barely any room for error, manual T however is far from ideal too as it doesn't regulate boost like an electronic one, ie you will experience boost spikes
Not a bad thing Imo as they are very quick but for fussy owners might be a problem, in a nut shell let me know what you would like your 3200gt to do and I'll try my best to help you achieve it safely :)

alfatwo

A neat little over boost system would work well, and you'd sell lots if you kept it simple.

Dave

Twinturbo

Over boost system could only achieve an extra 2-3psi without hitting the boost cut system and then still any small spike over that will trigger it which could really frustrate u in a legal drag race , I can over ride the boost cut system without an aftermarket computer but , as I have full time work busy as ATM too I'm hoping to get on the dyno over xmas and see what numbers and safety I can tune our 3200gt to and whether or not going from 15-17 or higher is even worth the effort on Oem intercoolers, the main mod I have done though of eliminating the piers surf valve is wel worth it IMO judging on my acceleration times and seat of the bum surge even on stock boost so I will reveal an easy delete for those interested to do some simple safe tuning of powerband changes in comming weeks

Out of curiosity, what is the 3200 boost and over what rev range?
I'm trying to picture how as a twin turbo car it compares to my Turbo running standard factory X50 map and larger KK24 Turbos and ribs boost at 1.0-1.2 bar as standard - and that gives one **** of a shove under boost nut remains firmly planted due to the permanent 4 wheel drive system and the Stability Management system.

For a 15 year old car, people are amazed it still turns out 0-60mph in mid/high 3 seconds with the twin Turbos.

I'd just like to get a feel for this 3200 twin turbo performance and shove factor out of curiosity even though its not a car on my wants list.

alfatwo

You can't really compere the two

Some late 3200GT's run over 400hp but there heavy at 1500 kilos so no contest, the 996 porker would win hands down

With the Gran Sport on the other hand, you'd be in trouble ;)

Dave

What is the boost pressure? I'm just interested and curious to know.
Oh and by the way, I also have a Gransport and the Porsche wipes the floor with it! I know cos I've drive the back to back and almost got caught trying an overtaking 4 cars in one go on the country road here that the Turbo would have easily finished but with the GS (still bloody fast) it did not have that missile point and shoot of the Turbo and I had to cut-in early. I never bought the GS to compete with the Turbo, but to complement it with a different driving experience. So no posts slagging or comparing mynteo cars.

I'm trying to understand boost pressures on a 3200GT to understand only - not to compare it to my Turbo. Do you know or can you tell me where that info might reside? I understand as an owner-expert you might be able to help.

alfatwo

Out an out with the standard small turbo set up 15lbs is about it. but you can cheat...Like our friend mentioned earlier they limited the boost until you reached higher speeds when you kinda had traction

The manual cars spinning the rear wheels up at over a 100 was perhaps too much for the average punter back in 2001!

The 4200's were much easier in this respect but not any faster

Dave

Contigo

Sponsor
3200's run 1 bar boost from memory. Mine ran 406 Bhp and 360 lb/ft which is probably not as much as the Metzger engine.

alfatwo

3200's run 1 bar boost from memory. Mine ran 406 Bhp and 360 lb/ft which is probably not as much as the Metzger engine.

That's about right Phil, mine ran up to about 408hp, the standard Metzger motor was far better in that respect

But didn't they suffer from that terrible engine internal shaft design and the premature ally liner bore wear as in the old Porsche 928's!

Dave

Contigo, thanks - 1 bar is on a par with my Turbo.
You are quite correct the standard 3.6 metzger turbo churns out 420bhp with 413ftlb torque and the X50 raises the game to 450bhp and 457ftlb torque.

Boost pressures are based on the display in the cockpit but I understand it is not very accurate and the boost pressure is controlled as engine speed increases climbing to a max of 1.65bar at max power.

The permanent 4 wheel drive enables the torque and power to be deployed effectively in most conditions.

Alfatwo: The Metger engine is bullet proof and is derived from the 1998 Le Man winning GT1 car.
The GT3, GT2 and the Turbo are all metzger engines with full dry sump.

The rest of the 996 and the 997 Gen 1 cars are not metzger engines and suffer from the things you highlight. I'm not sure that applies to the front-engines 928 that had a new V8 engine.

There is a huge premium for any metzger engine car in this model range highlighted.
A standard C2 996 can be had for around £16k. A turbo starts around high £40k-£55k for a manual box, the GT2 around £150k and a GT3 around £70k.

In model year 2009, the engine issues were fixed in the non-Mezger cars with the introduction of the new DFI engine (GT2, GT3 and Turbo cars having the Mezger engine throughout this period.

alfatwo

There's no doubt about it those porker motors are impressive

My Porsche ownership ended in the late 70's, first with a 911S and then a 3 litre Carrera

Dave

Yup, they sure are and I'm fortunate to have the iconic Turbo that set the world alight when it launched in 1975 - the 930 that evolved into the 964, the 993 (last of the air cooled) and then the 996, the 997 and to the present day 991. Each built on the prior model and bettered it.

The older cars such as 911S are iconic also.

The Gransport to me is an icon - the last of the Ferrari blueprinted engine cars hand-assembled before the move to volume production with the Granturismo.

I consider having both these icons as being in a very fortunate position. I appreciate fine marques and appreciate that for some people, a marque gives no stimulus. But I don't think that forms grounds to slag off a marque.

Perhaps you might like to rekindle that interest in a porker once again? But if it's a 996 I only recommend a budget that can get you into a clean manual box Turbo or a GT3 (only made with a manual box in 996 and 997 guise).