Winter overhaul - front subframe

2b1ask1

Special case
That is an interesting X-pipe, how does it sound compared to the more regular short X?

FIFTY

I was thinking the same thing Newton... I wanted an X made up like that because I thought it would sound more dirty in terms of pops and bangs on the overrun...

Where did you get it from GP? I am in the market for a new x as the one I had made up is shite

Gp79

I was thinking the same thing Newton... I wanted an X made up like that because I thought it would sound more dirty in terms of pops and bangs on the overrun...

Where did you get it from GP? I am in the market for a new x as the one I had made up is shite

Yes, it does give some pops etc on the over run. As I changed the cats at the same time I'm not sure what difference just the x pipe would make, but the whole package makes massive difference in terms of noise, but I didn't feel much performance gain.

I bought it used along with the sports cats, it's not branded but is quality with excellent welds and a perfect fit. Must be easily 1/4 the weight of the original resonator.

Let me know if you want some detailed photo so you could get one replicated.

Gp79

Well job pretty much done, only need to bleed brakes and have final re-torque, then alignment if a dry road anytime soon.

As with most jobs it took a bit longer than I though but definitely needed doing.

As well as the frame I replaced the one upper wishbone, remaining front rigid brake pipes, (Goodridge braided lines new last year), roll bar bushes and drop links, track rod ends, various pipe clips, brackets, jubilee clips etc etc. Plus the blasting and powder coating of springs, roll bar and loads of small parts covered in surface corrosion.

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

Jobs for next year.

Replace:

Replace fuel vapour line that runs length of car, surface corrosion.
Replace fuel pipes, surface corrosion again.
Brake calliper overhaul and powder coat (probably red)
Maybe wheel refurb in grigio

Had enough this time round.

Merry Christmas all.

Cheers Greg

Gp79

Think I need to back out of this!

Doing them once was enough to be honest!

You really have to love the car to do this job, I wouldn't have done it on anything else.

Maybe in 10-15 years I could save the last remaining 4200 /GS....

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Just an observation, your GranSport having Euro spec exhaust manifolds, which is good, I always thought that all GS's had the US spec manifolds, but maybe because it is an early build GS?

Gp79

Thanks for positive comments, will try keep it mint now, no salty roads and avoid rain if possible.

Last edited:

Gp79

Just an observation, your GranSport having Euro spec exhaust manifolds, which is good, I always thought that all GS's had the US spec manifolds, but maybe because it is an early build GS?

Yes, no cats in the headers, think you're right as it is an early one got the preferred euro, 4 bolt flange ones.

I thought all later 4200 had the US 2 bolt flange headers with built in cats as well?

FIFTY

Is yours an 04 model year? If not then then manifolds must have been changed at some point

From 05 onwards GS/4200/Spyder had US spec exhausts

Since we have the same exhaust layout then I will be taking you up on your kind offer for more info on your X Pipe

Gp79

Is yours an 04 model year? If not then then manifolds must have been changed at some point

From 05 onwards GS/4200/Spyder had US spec exhausts

Since we have the same exhaust layout then I will be taking you up on your kind offer for more info on your X Pipe

It's a 2005, maybe registered late?

I'll send you some info by pm, will be in new year though.

Cheers greg

Gp79

Was thinking the best idea would be if you borrow my x pipe and see what you think then get it copied if you want one the same.

PM me your address and I'll get it sent.

Will want it back at some point though!

Cheers Greg