Rear parking brake Granturismo - Occasional scratching sound

Nigelgta

Such great tips and advice in this forum. The passenger side of my EPB only just passed at its MOT so with the pics and advice here finally got around to looking at the handbrake shoes on my 2009 Granturismo 4.7S today. One of the shoes on the passenger side was totally shot, amazed it worked at all! Also explains the squeaking noise I've been getting from that wheel. Replaced all four shoes on both sides with these non-OEM parts, following a link on another thread:

The shoes seemed to fit fine after a bit of tightening and loosening on the adjuster to get a good fit, and all seems to be working okay. Been out for a drive, EPB seems to be working at expected. However, the handbrake control lever (the bit that attaches to the actual cable at the top of the rotor) on the drivers side seemed more slack than the one on the passenger side. Is there any way to adjust the cable tension from the cable/actuator side? I can't see anything to adjust it manually from that end but I have seen a couple of references in threads about needing to use a scan tool to adjust the parking brake. Would a scan tool and brake service mode get me able to adjust the cable tension?

Moz1000

Such great tips and advice in this forum. The passenger side of my EPB only just passed at its MOT so with the pics and advice here finally got around to looking at the handbrake shoes on my 2009 Granturismo 4.7S today. One of the shoes on the passenger side was totally shot, amazed it worked at all! Also explains the squeaking noise I've been getting from that wheel. Replaced all four shoes on both sides with these non-OEM parts, following a link on another thread:

The shoes seemed to fit fine after a bit of tightening and loosening on the adjuster to get a good fit, and all seems to be working okay. Been out for a drive, EPB seems to be working at expected. However, the handbrake control lever (the bit that attaches to the actual cable at the top of the rotor) on the drivers side seemed more slack than the one on the passenger side. Is there any way to adjust the cable tension from the cable/actuator side? I can't see anything to adjust it manually from that end but I have seen a couple of references in threads about needing to use a scan tool to adjust the parking brake. Would a scan tool and brake service mode get me able to adjust the cable tension?
The actuator is in the boot under the storage compartment. I can't quite remember, but there may be adjustment for the cables in there.
Moz

Nigelgta

Yep, I found the actuator in the boot this morning and the cables running under the battery and fuse box. All was dry, so no water ingress (good news ) but couldn't see any manual adjusters at that end. Eurospares parts picture also suggests that there's no manual adjuster at that end, hence the query about scan tool and brake service mode.

azapa

i'm pretty sure there are manual clickey wheel type adjusters on each side. they should be quite obvious. I remember thinking about backing mine off. They are at the hub/wheel end, behind backing plates? Sorry, really can't remember too well but have a look.

Nigelgta

Thanks. Yep, did plenty of adjusting looser/tighter with the manual adjusters at the hub. Just wondering what others are referring to on another thread I've seen when they've mentioned adjusting via a scan tool.

Moz1000

Yep, I found the actuator in the boot this morning and the cables running under the battery and fuse box. All was dry, so no water ingress (good news ) but couldn't see any manual adjusters at that end. Eurospares parts picture also suggests that there's no manual adjuster at that end, hence the query about scan tool and brake service mode.
Ah ok. At least you found the boot to be dry so that's good. When I replaced my park brake shoes, Emblem told me that since I wasn't touching the actuator cables, I could get away with just making adjustment at the hubs (adjust each until the hub locked then back-off 5 clicks). Car passed subsequent mot and holds fine on a hill.

However, when I serviced the actuator cables two years earlier, I do recall Emblem setting something up using the SD2. So it sounds like you may need to pop along to your local indi and get this done if only for peace of mind.
Moz

CatmanV2

I think if the cables are replaced the calibration is to ensure that the module knows how hard to pull to get the shoes to bite.

C

Nigelgta

Thanks all, really helpful! Probably just need to go back in and check that the adjustment is just right i.e. 'adjust each until the hub locked then back-off 5 clicks'. Not sure I was that precise with the adjustments as I clicked away. No warning lights and it seems to be holding fine on a hill but probably worth another look on each side just to be sure. A rather expensive error if one day it disappears down a hill with the handbrake on!!

azapa

I'd back off as much as you can and use park or leave in gear (MC Shift) as Catman says. I have no idea why they bind so much from the factory, but I'm guessing they set them up over cautiously, not caring if they gall and wear out in 10K miles.

I've had an occasional scratching/grinding noise coming from the rear offside for a few weeks.

I decided to change my brake pads in case they were causing the noise. Thankfully, I did change them as I found one of the pads in this state.

The metal plate that sits on the bottom of the caliper that the pad rests on was bent back and touching the disc

Attachments

• IMG-20230219-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20230219-WA0002.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 17

enjybenjy

Folks, I've had years of odd noises from the rear axles, along with seemingly perfectly working parking brake. Clicking on weight/torque transfer, rubbing, creaking, scratching. I've had the wheels off checking more times than I've had hot dinners. As soon as I put the wheel back on, the noise stops...for about 1 day...

I wanted to check the rear pads last week and so had a good look, all fine. While I was in there I thought I'd take the caliper and the disk off to see what state the shoes were in. Needless to say, plenty of material but delaminated! Gave the whole lot a good clean out and got some shoes from Autodoc for £12.60 a set of 4! Replaced exactly. Now I have absolutely none of the previous noises - I'm so chuffed. The job was a piece of p1ss. The caliper comes off without the need to remove pads. Disable the EPB and turn off ignition to remove the disc and get to the shoes. Replace shoes and cleaned up disc. Activate EPB. Torque everything back up. Repeat on the other side. There's no need to cock around with the EPB module.

There's an adjuster cog which you can turn to ensure the shoes aren't binding before you tighten everything up.

If anyone has these kind of noises from their rear hubs, this is a good starter to check - and for the price of the shoes (not Maserati taxed) it's a real belter of a job to get under your belt.

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 16.51.33.jpg

Jamin

Folks, I've had years of odd noises from the rear axles, along with seemingly perfectly working parking brake. Clicking on weight/torque transfer, rubbing, creaking, scratching. I've had the wheels off checking more times than I've had hot dinners. As soon as I put the wheel back on, the noise stops...for about 1 day...

I wanted to check the rear pads last week and so had a good look, all fine. While I was in there I thought I'd take the caliper and the disk off to see what state the shoes were in. Needless to say, plenty of material but delaminated! Gave the whole lot a good clean out and got some shoes from Autodoc for £12.60 a set of 4! Replaced exactly. Now I have absolutely none of the previous noises - I'm so chuffed. The job was a piece of p1ss. The caliper comes off without the need to remove pads. Disable the EPB and turn off ignition to remove the disc and get to the shoes. Replace shoes and cleaned up disc. Activate EPB. Torque everything back up. Repeat on the other side. There's no need to cock around with the EPB module.

There's an adjuster cog which you can turn to ensure the shoes aren't binding before you tighten everything up.

If anyone has these kind of noises from their rear hubs, this is a good starter to check - and for the price of the shoes (not Maserati taxed) it's a real belter of a job to get under your belt.

View attachment 114757

just WOW, thanks for the info

1684944471994.png