Custom Android Stereo + Amplifier INSTALLED!

tcrote5516

Thought I would make a post for this so it would easily Google-able. I recently completed a complete re-do and update of the audio system in my 4200. I now have hands free calling, streaming audio, wifi, gps and great sound quality in my "old" 2002. The first video shows how I modified the head unit to fit in the limited depth. The second shows the custom bezel and the system up and running. Let me know if you have any questions. -Tom

https://youtu.be/TCiMBEc7WSw

https://youtu.be/QvLnUPEDs8c

spkennyuk

Interesting. There were lots of 4200 owners out there that would have liked to do an audio upgrade while retaining a similar to stock look.

How much did that cost to do ?

Previous conversions cost thousands.

tcrote5516

I did this myself so in parts the cost was minimal. The stereo only cost $220, the amp was $99 and the speakers were about $300. Grand total was $650 USD including a few odds and ends like the usb extension cable and other misc cables.

FIFTY

Very good work I skipped through the video but I'll watch it properly later.

Did you manage to save the dash button back lighting or us that dead now?

I am tempted to do something like this at some pint down the line but fear ruining the originality of the interior... it's a bigger deal in the UK than over in the US.

tcrote5516

Thank you. Unfortunately when I bought the car the original stereo had already been changed out so originality was already out the window. Just as unfortunate, the shop that did the first install didn't bother to figure out how to light up the center before they changed everything. If I had the original equipment I could have figured out how to do it but, without it, it's impossible for me to pin out the connections. With that in mind, I took a tip out of the Corvette handbook and mounted an LED in the rearview that cannot be seen from the seats but illuminates the center dash. I actually like it. It's not distracting while driving, lights everything up nicely and is convenient to have in case you want to read something in the car (just hold it under the mirror).

3Skbqd2.jpg

FIFTY

From what I have read on old threads to retain the button back lighting the original screen needs to be retained and buried somewhere in the interior. So you need one of those and the NIT if that was also disgaurded

I have a Bluetooth loudlink and a mount for my phone but I'm going to get a mount for my 4g tablet for long journeys... not as good as a full upgrade but enough of a compromise for the moment

tcrote5516

You are correct but if I had access to the original NIT I could trace the trigger for those lights. From there I could replicate whatever signal it was sending it so I could use the original lighting without the need for the NIT.

Caldy999

Wish I had the skill - or the nerve - to tackle that. If you ever fancy a weekend in sunny Newcastle....???????

iainw

Thought I would make a post for this so it would easily Google-able. I recently completed a complete re-do and update of the audio system in my 4200. I now have hands free calling, streaming audio, wifi, gps and great sound quality in my "old" 2002. The first video shows how I modified the head unit to fit in the limited depth. The second shows the custom bezel and the system up and running. Let me know if you have any questions. -Tom

https://youtu.be/TCiMBEc7WSw

https://youtu.be/QvLnUPEDs8c

Good work! I personally love A/V modifications in a car.

tcrote5516

Wish I had the skill - or the nerve - to tackle that. If you ever fancy a weekend in sunny Newcastle....???????

I'd love to visit! Problem is I'm afraid my limited skills wouldn't offset the plane ticket cost ;)

Thank you all for the positive feedback!

Rick1008

If we had 10 owners chipping in £75 each, that would easily cover your flight Tom. It would be a working holiday though :)

tcrote5516

10 installs would be a serious working holiday! Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I appreciate it!