Wheel shudder on full lock at low speeds

JonW

All

Last couple of times I've driven my car, I've noticed that at low speeds I now get a lot of wheel shudder when turning on full lock. Happens both in reverse and going forward, and I think it's got worse than it used to be.

I've also started to feel the car is a bit more twitchy (overly responsive) to small movements of the steering wheel when travelling at speed.

Car is booked into Maranello next week, but any ideas or suggestions on the possible cause would be much appreciated...

CatmanV2

Mine's always been a bit like this. As was the 4200 before and my Alfa GT before that. Depends on the surface. It's been tyres scrubbing.

C

FF1078

Mines always done that when reversing off the drive on full lock and my old GT/s did too so I didn't really worry.

GeoffCapes

My Merc does it. Apparently it's a combination of low profile tyres with stiff side walls, the wide tread pattern and the surface.

Mine does it on block paving mostly, so I guess it makes sense.

Mattp

My Alfa GT used to do it a lot, was dependant on tyre, surface and weather... On one set of tyres (cant rember which ones) I thought my diff had given up the ghost it was so noticeable.
The QP do it too so I put it down to tyres just slipping on the road

conaero

Forum Owner
Another one for this issue, I have knackered front upper wishbone bushes so this may be a contributing factor.

The upper arms can basically move fore and aft so I suppose with the weight of that great big engine exaggerates the geo caster and voila!

All

I’ve also started to feel the car is a bit more twitchy (overly responsive) to small movements of the steering wheel when travelling at speed.

Yep, your uppers will be fooooked too by the sound of it. Mines been like it since I had it at 20k miles so they don't last (2011 Stradale) and mileage has been verified as genuine.

Get them to jack it up with the wheel off and put a pry bar in the upper inner bushes and wiggle them, you will be amazed at the amount of movement.

This is what got me looking at them...the fidget on turn in when pushing on...once into the corner the handling is fine, its that initial feeling of insecurity that puts you off and does not fill you with confidence.

Speaking to Ross at Meridien, the bush kit you can now get for £300 a side (uppers and lowers) is now an upgraded part so Maserati are aware of this issue and have made some attempts to remedy it.

bigbob

Another one for this issue, I have knackered front upper wishbone bushes so this may be a contributing factor.

The upper arms can basically move fore and aft so I suppose with the weight of that great big engine exaggerates the geo caster and voila!

Yep, your uppers will be fooooked too by the sound of it. Mines been like it since I had it at 20k miles so they don't last (2011 Stradale) and mileage has been verified as genuine.

Get them to jack it up with the wheel off and put a pry bar in the upper inner bushes and wiggle them, you will be amazed at the amount of movement.

This is what got me looking at them...the fidget on turn in when pushing on...once into the corner the handling is fine, its that initial feeling of insecurity that puts you off and does not fill you with confidence.

Speaking to Ross at Meridien, the bush kit you can now get for £300 a side (uppers and lowers) is now an upgraded part so Maserati are aware of this issue and have made some attempts to remedy it.

Any idea what it would cost to replace the wishbones themselves rather than just the bushes?

JonW

Cold weather and summer tyres.

The optimist in me hopes it is this, but the pessimist / realist is increasing concerned that Matt's suggestion below is more accurate

The bit in bold is exactly how it feels - and is why I've asked Maranello to look at the wishbones / bushes...

Razz

Suspension parts

Any idea what it would cost to replace the wishbones themselves rather than just the bushes?

Hi

The cost of the suspension kit is about £750+vat per corner. The labour to install is much lower that replacing all the bushes as the kit comes with all bushes installed and therefore a straight swap out. In the kit you get upper and lower wishbone plus the hub carrier. The cost of bushes is about £300+vat per corner.

If you can nail it down to a particular bush, then it might be more economical to do just that bush - but remember always do it as a pair, if one side has gone changes are the other side is not that far behind.

If you have you pry bar out don't forget to check all ball joint play (including steering!), drop links and sway bar bushes. Even if you have a low miler, most of these degrade over time as they have lots of rubber.

Good luck and let us know what is causing the judder

StuartW

Yes, mine were changed on my GTS before I bought it from Nuvola and the ones on my Stradale have some movement & will need to be changed soon, they are a very common service item on these. My Stradale has done 24k miles in 4 years.

If indeed the bushes have now been upgraded, you would need to check that the whole suspension kit with the control arms & hubs, include the upgraded bushes rather than being old stock with the original bushes, otherwise it could prove to be mid term rather than long term fix.

conaero

Forum Owner
The lsd will account for some shudder and chuntering on tight turns.

I did wonder that too, so have been taking note of where the noise is coming from and it appears to be the inner wheel on a tight turn.

conaero

Forum Owner
Very good Matt

Manufacturing a test set to run on my Strad will happen in Q1 2018 with a release in Q3 2018.

Prices will be £240 per axle...thats a complete front upper and lower set for £240 and a complete upper and lower rear set for £240.

We are almost ready to go on the 3200/4200/Spyder/GS sets too which will appear in Q1 2018 for the same prices as above.

They will not have any indemnity cover so you will run them at your own risk. The bushes will be a stainless still milled billet inner with the softer black poly bush outer and professionally produced to a very high standard.

bigbob

Based on the comments here I am surprised that my car has got to 45k miles with only the springs replaced. Mind I guess I will be buying lots of suspension stuff in 18/19 and will need to average the cost over the remaining time of ownership. Still depreciation is only about £3k pa now which helps.