Flabby springs, bushes and fat blokes

montravia

Just returned home from Dick Lovett's Swindon, after the GT had it's passenger door handle replaced. At the preceding inspection, it was noticed that the offside front tyre was badly worn on the inner edge. Never noticed it, the main flat and outer had plenty of tread and would have only seen it at full lock. So a new tyre to compliment the other three at the same time as the handle.

I'm led to understand that they do wear on the inner side, characteristic of the geometry, but the disparity between the inner and healthy outer caused me concern. They forgot my request while up on the ramp for a visual inspection of the wishbones and environs to observe if any damage had been done; speed bumps etc. In discussion after, it was revealed that the GT suffers from tired springs after a while which obviously impacts the geometry; she's a '57, and just done 39,000, 12,000 in the last year. However, why not both sides? Well, perhaps the driver's side is more often occupied by fat geezers was supposed.

Well, what to do? Apparently the springs are cheap, about £100 each. The retaining bolt often becomes seized; cutting it out ruins the bushes. The bushes can't be obtained separately, result new suspension rebuild.

Really?

Admittedly worse case, but really? Probably won't be needed, but really, the whole suspension rebuilt 'cos the springs get saggy and wear the tyres?

Probably cheaper to keep replacing the tyres.

Nothing wrong with the current handling, she runs true and tight.

Is this so, or can the bushes be obtained separately?

ratbag

I had a broken front spring, end result was a front suspension rebuild not much change out of £3000 for both sides.....

bigbob

I had a broken spring at each end and the extended Maserati warranty replaced all four. That was 18 months ago and the car was driving quite well before hand - so much for my diagnosis skills!

I have noticed that the cars are much noisier underneath at cold temps but I do wonder if suspension bushes and drop links are coming my way in the next year or two. That is a lot of money in relation to what the car is now worth but when it happens it happens.

montravia

Second opinion... sound like MD drumming up winter business.

Yup, Peter.

I'm used to the usual wind up of impending disaster, preparing you for pain and large bill, only to transpire into a simple remedy, resulting in the customer veering from initial terror to unbridled relief and gratitude. Did that when a headlight alignment was indicating a bashed front end, transpiring to be a bolt that had come loose. They weren't pushing for work, indicating leave inspection until next service, which in my case, if I go for an annual checkup will be next summer, or 18 months time if I let her go by the book two years.

montravia

I had a broken spring at each end and the extended Maserati warranty replaced all four. That was 18 months ago and the car was driving quite well before hand - so much for my diagnosis skills!

I have noticed that the cars are much noisier underneath at cold temps but I do wonder if suspension bushes and drop links are coming my way in the next year or two. That is a lot of money in relation to what the car is now worth but when it happens it happens.

It's a balance of whether mine really is a keeper, or notch up to a younger one and begin all over again working through snag lists

montravia

Not had a problem being a fat bloke & driving mine...

Not me either. I'm a small Midlander and only 84Kg. Previous owners didn't sit in it much, it'd done only 27,000 miles. Load of b0££0cks, should sag equally on both sides.

2b1ask1

Special case
Not me either. I'm a small Midlander and only 84Kg. Previous owners didn't sit in it much, it'd done only 27,000 miles. Load of b0££0cks, should sag equally on both sides.

Well you weigh in at less than a tank of gas!

voicey

I will store that away, thanks. Do you tend to change bushes or just go for new arms?

That is the big question. The bushes are available separately but due to their design I cannot figure out how to fit them without damaging them (I believe that there is a special tool from the factory). I tried it once and damaged a few sets of bushes - ended up sending the arms to Maserati to fit so we could get the car out.

Matt is working on an aftermarket solution so for now I'm advising people to wait to see what comes of this (changing the arm is a big ticket job).

bigbob

That is the big question. The bushes are available separately but due to their design I cannot figure out how to fit them without damaging them (I believe that there is a special tool from the factory). I tried it once and damaged a few sets of bushes - ended up sending the arms to Maserati to fit so we could get the car out.

Matt is working on an aftermarket solution so for now I'm advising people to wait to see what comes of this (changing the arm is a big ticket job).

Appreciate the honesty.