Goodwood membership

Hexadex

Morning all,
contemplating taking up membership offer at Goodwood, is anyone on here members and more importantly is it worth it.
Cheers
Hexadex

safrane

Unless you have been offered a cancellation (like mine for example ) the books for membership closed at the end of November.

I deferred my membership last year as I was away for most of the year but this time I had to make a choice.

I reflected on the number of times I had visited in the five years I had been a member in waiting and concluded it was not worth the joining fee and ongoing membership (I would need to spend > £4k in the first year and £1500 there after).

I also noted the 'fellowship' offers almost as much but think that too is just a money making scheme for the estate.

Sure if you are close at hand and can visit most weekends its OK...but if not and you still have to pay for 90% of the activities then maybe its for you.

Hexadex

Yes I was thinking as i am in Derbyshire and would have to stay over on every visit it wouldn’t be worth my while.
i was offered membership in November, they keep ringing me, badgering me to sign up.

Scaf

As I understand it the membership waiting list is about 6 years at the moment and you have to be a fellow to join the list.
A friend bought be fellowship and the only real benefit I see (apart from lots of spam email) is early access to tickets.
oh and a badge that will sit in my desk drawer and never see my lapel.

2b1ask1

Special case
I walked from the fellowship offer this year, agree it has been a roose to raise income for the estate. With no wall prospect of making membership within my lifetime! So it is a no from me...

Hexadex

As I understand it the membership waiting list is about 6 years at the moment and you have to be a fellow to join the list.
A friend bought be fellowship and the only real benefit I see (apart from lots of spam email) is early access to tickets.
oh and a badge that will sit in my desk drawer and never see my lapel.
I had been on the waiting list for five years, refused fellow offer then received the membership offer.

Contigo

Sponsor
I got a call asking me if I want to take fellowship I declined. I like Goodwood but not that much.

safrane

Surprised you have received follow up calls. I said No on receipt of the follow up email on the 29th and not had a response or reply...OK I set out the reasons as above so I guess they think there is no point trying.

I do wonder where I sit with the Fellowship after you turn down full membership?

If they ever hand out Titles With Benefits, I'll have Lord High Executioner. But it must come with irrevocable access to assault weapons of choice and immunity from prosecution.
As it says on the heraldic shield (bumper) of my southern American cousins, 'family, faith, firearms'.
FYI C G-L. If you're reading this. Don't even think of offering me the lower title of
Friends With Benefits. That smacks too much of readers wives. Whereas I am more Tatler and Country Wives :p

On a slightly more considered note. This Fellowship ruse strikes me as pretty silly. To my mind, a fellowship is earned. Not bought, like a pound of sausages. Any club worth its salt, usually grants foreign / distant members a pretty hefty discount. I'm thinking of the top tier sports clubs I'm familiar with, as well as London gentleman's clubs. Many offer pretty good value, to my mind.
So whatever you're paying, it's a pretty fair exchange.

safrane

I received the first 'Fellowship' newsletter yesterday in which it states they received over 7k applications.

So I surmise that it will be over a decade to move from the bottom of the waiting list to membership.

Also generates over 1/4 of a million in waiting list fees as well.

I received the first 'Fellowship' newsletter yesterday in which it states they received over 7k applications.

So I surmise that it will be over a decade to move from the bottom of the waiting list to membership.

Also generates over 1/4 of a million in waiting list fees as well.

Better than a magic money tree ;)

alfatwo

When I received my race membership back in the late 80's, you just chipped into the tea fund

Apparently now I have legend status :)

Dave

midlifecrisis

Surely the lowest 'membership' is 'Associate' then Member then fellowship for those of a higher status? Or is it just a cash generator?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Any club worth its salt, usually grants foreign / distant members a pretty hefty discount. I'm thinking of the top tier sports clubs I'm familiar with, as well as London gentleman's clubs. Many offer pretty good value, to my mind.

Country members, those living out of town who would use the club less often and therefore qualify for a reduced rate.

As in the old gag: ‘I haven’t see you here for a while, old boy.’ ‘I’m a country member.,’ ‘Yes, I remember.’