White Maserati accident 2 officers hurt

Driver of the Ghibli probably drunk. Refused to give a breath sample at the scene. Possibly in the mistaken belief that the longer he delayed the blood/alcohol measurement, the more likely it was is to fall back under the limit.
If it's a single car incident with no pedestrians involved, officers often find this hilarious.
Because, all other things being equal, your blood/alcohol level continues to rise for very approximately ninety minutes, from the moment you stop drinking. (if memory serves)

Doohickey

Velociraptor
A terrible thing and I hope the two officers involved make a speedy recovery but it's interesting that the titles of all the stories mention that it's a Maserati. Would the journos have put the make in the title if it had been a Ford or Vauxhall?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing the Maserati driver isn't having the best of times in his cell. Pillock. Am I right in thinking that the penalty for failing to provide a specimen is the same as for being ****-faced ?

Bloody awful business in Birmingham.

Lozzer

I’m guessing the Maserati driver isn’t having the best of times in his cell. Pillock. Am I right in thinking that the penalty for failing to provide a specimen is the same as for being ****-faced ?

Bloody awful business in Birmingham.

Hope all involved make full recovery, Birmingham as well ,a horrendous turn of events.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Unfortunately, he won’t be in a cell. Failing to provide is dealt with in the same way as a full breath test but unless there are extenuating medical circumstances, or procedural irregularities, said failure to provide is regarded as a positive result and will result in an automatic ban. The length of the ban can depend on the circumstances surrounding the request for the breath sample, in this case there is likely to be a lengthy ban or even imprisonment if the officer/s don’t pull through.

The driver will have spent at least one night in police cells. As to sentencing and from dim and distant memory. Magistrates tend to take a very dim view of offences against officers of the court. Depending on the driver's criminal record, how cooperative he was through the process and the prognosis for the injured officers, he could end up with a very long driving ban, a suspended sentence or imprisonment. Or a combination of the above.

Contigo

Sponsor
Closed a motorway for 35grams! Jeezzz. Looked like a couple of kilos with that cloud!

Lol agreed, they wanted to bust them for sure but I have a question, they were convicted in November 2016 and sentenced to 36 months, why were they not in prison then?

Contigo

Sponsor
And there lie the issue. Not enough deterrent and punishment in this country at this time. Sad state of affairs and what a loss.....

dgmx5

Lol agreed, they wanted to bust them for sure but I have a question, they were convicted in November 2016 and sentenced to 36 months, why were they not in prison then?

Probably served half their sentence, including time served on remand, and released on parole or licence.