WTD - 4200 manual gear cables

jimmymoss

My gear cables are worn to the point where they really need replacing unfortunately...

Has anyone got a sensibly priced source of new or slightly used ones? Or alternatively has anyone had any refurbed or fabricated perhaps?

Cheers, J.

safrane

There has been a number of conversations on the subject of the cables becoming no longer available (which is shocking btw) but no one has come forward with an alternative solution.

I would suspect they could be re-made but of course the supplier would need a good set to base their pattern on.

Good luck.

jimmymoss

There has been a number of conversations on the subject of the cables becoming no longer available (which is shocking btw) but no one has come forward with an alternative solution.

I would suspect they could be re-made but of course the supplier would need a good set to base their pattern on.

Good luck.

Hmmm, thought I recalled this but hoped I'd made it up... Far from ideal.

conaero

Forum Owner
On the Wheeler Dealers Lambo episode, Mike took some cables to be rebuilt by a company in Surrey, If you watch it, as he goes into the unit, the company name is on the door (whose name escapes me). I would take your old ones off and take them to somebody like this

safrane

If they can do them it may be worth listing them on here and using yours as a trial and maybe getting a decent discount.

jimmymoss

After spending a bit of time under the car it would seem that the cables themselves are fine, but the connectors at the gearbox end, or rather just one of them, is a bit tired.

I suspect these plastic connectors and the rubber bush are nigh on impossible to track down on their own. Has anyone any clues where I might be able to track these down or who makes them?

Thanks chaps.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Have a look on Eurospares first on line, if listed and available you can then visit your local main dealer parts department if more convenient (not much difference in price by my experience and they can discount if you ask)
You might be surprised and available.

Zep

I know the company you are referring to Matt, think automotive are also in Isleworth which is the branch fatty Brewer went to in the Lambo episode.

For the gear cables, contact Ed at Christian Lewis. Last time I was there they had just replaced the cables on a manual 4200. I asked him where he got them and he just smiled.

alfatwo

There's a couple of old guys up on the military munitions site at Kineton who do lots of old bike cable stuff

They completely redesigned and remade the handbrake cabling on my old Guilia Spider

You have to be careful up there though, as you might get shot at!

Dave

conaero

Forum Owner
I know the company you are referring to Matt, think automotive are also in Isleworth which is the branch fatty Brewer went to in the Lambo episode.

For the gear cables, contact Ed at Christian Lewis. Last time I was there they had just replaced the cables on a manual 4200. I asked him where he got them and he just smiled.

Hes a one is our Ed. I suspect they are probably from a 1947 Acto lawn mower accelerator cable or similar.

Corranga

I don't need them at the moment, but may well at some point (like other manual 4200 owners no doubt!)

I might be interested in a replacement part to stick on the garage shelf (cost dependant of course) but suspect a repair / refurb of an existing one will be the end solution.

Vampyrebat

I would be up for buying for the future also, if we have something that does the trick we could maybe do a group purchase.