4200 Sound Upgrade from stock (non-auditorium)

CatmanV2

Reading taken with the amp disconnected C

Didn't take the reading with the amp connected up

Well if you're getting that kind of voltage fluctuation with the amp disconnected I'd have to suspect your regulator / alternator is a bit screwed I'm afraid. As far as I know there's no way your voltage should be varying like that. I'm very open to be corrected, though.

C

D Walker

Well if you're getting that kind of voltage fluctuation with the amp disconnected I'd have to suspect your regulator / alternator is a bit screwed I'm afraid. As far as I know there's no way your voltage should be varying like that. I'm very open to be corrected, though.

C
Tend to concur. It should not be fluctuating/ spiking.

FIFTY

Yeah seemed a bit odd to me. I'll send the video to AV tomorrow see what he thinks. In the short term I need to get that minimum voltage over 12v... and the car is running fine and voltage spikes like that could cause bigger issues. Maybe it is a localiased issue through that 12v cable

I'll cut off the slack tomorrow and I'll take some more readings on the multimeter

CatmanV2

Post that video up here, Shogi. The more I think about it, the more I think either there is something very wrong with your meter, or your car electrics.

As I suggested on WhatsApp. Disconnected the battery and use the meter to test that direct.
Also do the test with the car running across the battery terminals. Ignore your amp cable for now.
Not running, the meter should be absolutely rock steady. Running it should vary by maybe 1v max.
If your meter is still wandering all over the place (for those who've not seen the video, the digital meter is going from 6v to 16 pretty randomly) when not running and disconnected.then the meter is screwed in some way. If it reads steady, then I would be very sure there's a deep problem with your electrics.

C

Zep

I tend to agree with C, I think your meter is on the fritz. IMO there is no way you can have a battery voltage jumping from 6 to 16v and a car that is working.

The charging circuit is a good place to start - with the engine off you should have nominally 11.5 to 12v across the battery terminals. The minimum charging voltage for a 12v car battery is 13.8 volts, so with the engine running you should have at least 13.8v across the battery terminals. From your previous measurements you have a voltage drop of less than a volt, so with a working alternator and 13+ volts at the battery there shouldn't be and issue.

I suggest that you carry out the above tests with the amp disconnected and then again with it connected but without the music turned up loud and then again with the base pumping. I would then measure the voltage at the amp connection, again with low and high volume. The current draw of an amplifier changes with load so loud means more power consumed and more load on the alternator.

The alternator on a 4200 is rated at 150 amps, so it *should* eat the load from your amp (30A max) without breaking a sweat so low volts when running suggest an issue - as pointed out by Mr C.

FIFTY

Well what I thought was a loose connection but I have definitely tracked it down

12v accessory cable keeps dropping out from 12v to 0.2v which switches off the amp and also.the sub I'm intending to wire in

The yellow plug connector is a little loose and I took it apart put it back together it works for a bit then starts again until I move the car around a little on the drive. I thought wobbling the connector might work.but it doesn't... so it's either the connector or possibly
Some thing wrong with the NIT itself...

Next step I'll use the multimeter to test the yellow connector and the pins on the back of the NIT... if the latter is getting a constant 12v then it must be the connector. Ill do the test tomorrow had enough for one day

FIFTY

It is a bit too cold today to be routing round the centre console so I'll pass but I have had a thought... in case I cannot solve the intermittent connection can I spliced into a different 12v+ accessory line nearby? I'm thinking cigarette lighter as it turns off with the ignition

Zep

This seems like a very sensible solution. I think (but cannot be sure) that the lighter socket on mine is always live, but there will be another - perhaps to supply to the NIT rather than the output?

It is a bit too cold today to be routing round the centre console so I'll pass but I have had a thought... in case I cannot solve the intermittent connection can I spliced into a different 12v+ accessory line nearby? I'm thinking cigarette lighter as it turns off with the ignition

FIFTY

This seems like a very sensible solution. I think (but cannot be sure) that the lighter socket on mine is always live, but there will be another - perhaps to supply to the NIT rather than the output?

This is exactly what I ended up doing as a temporary solution to get things working reliably. The only drawback is that the speakers pop for a second or so while the NIT boots up (accessory line fires up after the Maserati splash screen so the amp is off for the pops) but at least it works

The fault is strange as when the car is fully charged on the trickle charger it works fine until I fire up the engine so I might have to get an auto electrican on the case

Next step... I'm going to fit the door component speakers and adjust the passenger side window as it is hitting the channel at the too apparently its all quite easy and I'm. Looking forward to making some progress again!

Zep

To be honest i'd just get one of these and be done with it.http://r.ebay.com/6N6zsk Set it for a 6 second delay on time, then the NIT will have started and got its little coughs out of the way and then switch on the amp etc.

FIFTY

Sweet thanks Zep will go with that solution

I have to go back into the centre console when fitting the amp so it'll be a quick splice to fit the timer

FIFTY

Time for some more amateur electronics again!

Decided that I am going to install the sub-woofer as installing the door speakers involves pulling the car out of my small garage and working in the drive with the door open which doesn't really work with showers on the forecast.

I am going to run the speaker cables from the centre console to the boot + 12V accessory + sub remote to the boot via the same path as I ran the 12v + from the battery to the centre console. My aim tonight is to have the cables laid up to the battery and the seats removed/reinstalled.

My question to you guys is where should I mount this mini sub woofer? I was thinking in the spare tyre well would probably sound the best through the car as it is centred and remains hidden/unobtrusive following my OEM+ theme.

20180501_151227.jpg

The other option is under the CD Changer on the boot floor

20180501_151331.jpg

Regarding mounting them the sub came with fish plates and grub screws which will probably tap into the metal work of the car - I would rather avoid this so would it work to slide a plate of metal or wood under the carpet and fix onto that rather than the car itself?

MAF260

Time for some more amateur electronics again!

Decided that I am going to install the sub-woofer as installing the door speakers involves pulling the car out of my small garage and working in the drive with the door open which doesn't really work with showers on the forecast.

I am going to run the speaker cables from the centre console to the boot + 12V accessory + sub remote to the boot via the same path as I ran the 12v + from the battery to the centre console. My aim tonight is to have the cables laid up to the battery and the seats removed/reinstalled.

My question to you guys is where should I mount this mini sub woofer? I was thinking in the spare tyre well would probably sound the best through the car as it is centred and remains hidden/unobtrusive following my OEM+ theme.

View attachment 48566

The other option is under the CD Changer on the boot floor

View attachment 48567

Regarding mounting them the sub came with fish plates and grub screws which will probably tap into the metal work of the car - I would rather avoid this so would it work to slide a plate of metal or wood under the carpet and fix onto that rather than the car itself?

I'd be very surprised if that sub delivers anything noticeable if you place it in the boot. Can you find a place for it inside the cabin?

conaero

Forum Owner
Dont put it on the floor of the wheel well, they fill with water.

Agree with MAF, put it in the cabin, under the drivers seat if you can fit it.

FIFTY

I'd be very surprised if that sub delivers anything noticeable if you place it in the boot. Can you find a place for it inside the cabin?

Dont put it on the floor of the wheel well, they fill with water.

Agree with MAF, put it in the cabin, under the drivers seat if you can fit it.

Thanks for weighing in guys. No chance under the drivers or passengers seat... bought it as someone mentioned that it fit under their GS seat but the 4200 must have chunkier undersides as I just scratched the sub attempting

The only place I can think of inside the cabin that is hidden is under the parcel shelf where one of the redundant rear speakers is mounted... if it is possible to remove the cradle then the void MIGHT be big enough