New GranSport Spyder owner

Oldgrognard

I just purchased a 2006 GranSport Spyder. Red with black interior (red seat inserts), 31,600 miles, CambioCorsa, very good condition. Still improving my usage of the CC.

Would love to ask some questions and advice from other owners.

Andyk

A very warm welcome....A very rare Maserati you have there and in a great colour....If you have any pictures please share and ask away any questions you may have as lots of help on here.

zagatoes30

Welcome, I was tempted by a red GS Spyder once, probably should have bit the bullet but another experience learnt

Oldgrognard

Thanks for the welcome.

I have a few questions. Andy’s says it is rare. Does anyone know the production numbers of GranSports ?

Does anyone know what the cruising speed oil pressure should be ? I’ve read that it should be pegged to the right at 70 and fall to about 35 at idle. Is that correct ?

I’ve read some differing opinions about using the CC when slowing down for lights and stop signs. I have heard that it is best to pull both paddles and drift down in neutral rather than do each downshift. Supposed to save clutch wear. Opinions ?

I will do some pictures. Right now all I have is this garage shot.

https://i.imgur.com/EsAb2He.jpg

agooner

For the Gransport Spyder, I have seen a figure of 472 produced between 2005-2007.

Zep

She's a beaut! Someone will confirm shortly I am sure but I believe there are less than 100 in the country these days.

Making sure the clutch is properly set up for the PIS (point of initial slip) will go a long way to looking after the clutch. I tend to run through the gears myself but it's a matter of choice.

Oil pressure should be pegged to the 5 bar stop over 2000 rpm. At idle mine runs around 2 bar, 1.75 after a good thrashing. The light comes on at 1.5 bar. If the needle ticks like the hand of a clock then the sender needs replacing.

The most important thing to do is to get out there and enjoy it

safrane

Don't get hung up on clutch wear.

I have had three coupes and after ten years of driving them and aprox 40k in miles only one clutch on the newest car I bought. It let go to Tang collapse at 45% worn.

The GS is more prone to this fail, however I get an average of 1000 miles per 1% of wear on all the coupe I have had.

agooner

In NA, there were 421 Spyders imported between 2005-2007, but there is no breakdown of 4200 Spyder v Gransport Spyder; while total Spyder (assumed to be 4200+GS) production was 923 in this period.

421/923 = 0.456 or approx. 46% of Spyders were shipped to NA. Using that as a very rough approx., then 46% of 472 (total GS Spydr prod) = 215 Gransports Spyders shipped to US.

Note of caution: the data I have shows figures for "Coupe/Gransport" and "Spyder" separately. there is no direct mention of Gransport Spyder. I have made the assumption that "Coupe/Gransport" incl Gransport Coupe only; and Gransport Spyder is under Spyder. So there is the possibility the GS Spyder figure is incl under "Coupe/Gransport" data but I simply don't know

Oldgrognard

Thanks for the responses.

Zep, mine doesn't have bars. It just indicates 35 in the center vertical and 70 to the far right. At idle the indicator is on 35 and driving it is just shy of 70.

Navcorr, you are correct. I live in Florida and have changed my profile to show that. Florida is a great place to own a convertible. The biggest shortcoming of Florida is that it is so flat. No twisty mountain roads.

I am taking the car to my mechanic Friday to get a good checkup on it. Have a few questions for him.

The only flaw in the car is the “metallic†fabric used on the dash got a little stained from something on the passenger side. I'll ask him what could safely remove the stain. Also the fabric got a little stretched and loss there. I'm thinking it was from previous owner trying to clean it. But the paint is incredible. Engine compartment is extremely clean. No signs of leaks. Very tidy.

conaero

Forum Owner
Don't get hung up on clutch wear.

I have had three coupes and after ten years of driving them and aprox 40k in miles only one clutch on the newest car I bought. It let go to Tang collapse at 45% worn.

The GS is more prone to this fail, however I get an average of 1000 miles per 1% of wear on all the coupe I have had.

I have been made aware of the issues with the premature spring tang failure was actually a production fault and if you do your research it adds up.

Around 2008-2014 this failure was a weekly occurrence on here. These days, you hardly ever hear of it which means that batch of dodgy clutches has been all used up or modified in current production.

If you do find yourself in need of a new clutch, you should only buy from modern stock and not be tempted by discounted sellers (I dont need to name them) and check the production date of that clutch is current, say within the last 2 years. I would only buy a clutch from a main dealer and more so Meridien. Its well know that Ross in parts offers a 10% reduction on parts to forum members and only gets his clutches from the factory, from modern stock.

This also adds up why early 4200's seem to run their clutches in excess of 50k miles as they were pre this production fault.

Zep

Zep, mine doesn't have bars. It just indicates 35 in the center vertical and 70 to the far right. At idle the indicator is on 35 and driving it is just shy of 70.

Seems US cars have the oil pressure gauges graduated in pounds per square inch. 70 psi = 4.8 bar. 35 psi = 2.4 bar. So nothing to worry about there. The light will come on at 22 psi.

Oldgrognard

I bit the bullet and took it to the Maserati dealer rather than the shop I use for my Jag. I wanted a very detailed check on what I bought. The car was advertised with a recently replaced clutch; about 3,000 miles on it. I wanted to see if that was correct and wanted a check on correct installation. I also wanted the PIS setting checked. Had a few questions for them as well. They confirmed that my oil pressure was correct at 35 on idle and 70 driving.

The result was a very complimentary report on the condition of the car. The clutch checked out at 13% and was correctly done. So all good there. The PIS was out of spec at 5.9 and they adjusted to 5.0. I noticed how much better it shifted on the way home. Much better at start from a stop at lights.

They confirmed that the oil change was done at buy and other fluids were fresh and correct. They confirmed that the serpentine belt was replaced. So the seller didn’t misrepresent anything.

So I am very happy that the in-depth checks confirmed my pre-buy check.

Loving life.

allandwf

Seems US cars have the oil pressure gauges graduated in pounds per square inch. 70 psi = 4.8 bar. 35 psi = 2.4 bar. So nothing to worry about there. The light will come on at 22 psi.

Is it related to revs, like the 3200 is? Say 1.5 bar at idle, 2.0 bar at 2000 rpm, 2.5 bar at 3000 rpm? ( Figures just for description purposes.)