Northern meet - 5/6 May

D Walker

I’m still going to Army v Navy rugby, but will be around Monday or any other time if someone wants a quick meet, Nora, sounds like tinder, so I am told...

MrMickS

I'm still going to Army v Navy rugby, but will be around Monday or any other time if someone wants a quick meet, Nora, sounds like tinder, so I am told...

If the weathers ok I might be up for a drive somewhere on the Monday

Lozzer

I'm still going to Army v Navy rugby, but will be around Monday or any other time if someone wants a quick meet, Nora, sounds like tinder, so I am told...
Is that rar rar rugby or proper rugby?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
They’re both proper rugby. One is for equally sized northern hardmen, the other is for all shapes and sizes. Embrace both games.

D Walker

Is that rar rar rugby or proper rugby?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
It's Union, but if you think you are up for it I can perhaps get you on for 10 next year, biggest supported amateur event in Europe. 85,000, twickemham is full to rafters.

Jkulin

Update:

These are my current thoughts on the drive for the Saturday. The road from Barnard Castle to Alston frequently features in best drives lists and the one over Buttertubs is cracking. There is a shorter version we could do which misses out Alston but this feels about right to me.

https://goo.gl/maps/pApDVqCcWfw

I'm thinking we aim to meet about half 10 at Scotch Corner leaving at 11. Lunch at the Tan Hill Inn around 2pm and then 1.5 hours down to Burnsall. We can have a coffee break in Alston if there is a desire.

Rooms and dinner are booked for those that wanted them on the Saturday night and then it's about an hour to Newby Hall via Pateley Bridge on the Sunday which is another good drive. Don't forget that you need to book tickets at http://www.carsinthepark.org.uk/.

I'll restart the list of attendees so that I've got an idea of how many cars and numbers we've got. If anyone has a walkie talkie it would be a good idea to bring them.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

1) Doohickey + 1

Hi Dave,

Is this now firm as the meeting place and agenda?

Thanks.

MrMickS

I was in Alston over the weekend. Front Street is currently closed and being dug up. There is a temporary free car park at the top end, by the children play area. The spaces are a little tight and there's a dip on the way out that will catch you out if you're not careful and scrape the underside of the front.

The route on Google maps was definitely not possible last weekend and I'm not sure how long the works are in place for. We will probably have to take a diversion around; right on the A689, then the B6294, and finally joining the A686. That would let us park in the railway car park though if wanted.

PS:

The road up to Alston is fab :D

Last edited:

Doohickey

Velociraptor
Hi Dave,

Is this now firm as the meeting place and agenda?

Thanks.

John - it is.

I was in Alston over the weekend. Front Street is currently closed and being dug up. There is a temporary free car park at the top end, by the children play area. The spaces are a little tight and there's a dip on the way out that will catch you out if you're not careful and scrape the underside of the front.

The route on Google maps was definitely not possible last weekend and I'm not sure how long the works are in place for. We will probably have to take a diversion around; right on the A689, then the B6294, and finally joining the A686. That would let us park in the railway car park though if wanted.

PS:

The road up to Alston is fab :D

Thanks for the recce - I've not had time. I've had a look on the Cumbria Council roadworks map and it looks like the road will still be closed on Saturday. There is a diversion which is the one you suggest above.

I've amended the route to reflect it as below. There are a couple of minor roads which would reduce the additional distance but they look a bit tight!

https://goo.gl/maps/D3cycwuwaqQ2.

There don't appear to be any other roadworks en route.

Lunch is booked at the Tan Hill as is dinner at the Red Lion and the weather looks good.

I will PM my mobile number to everyone in case of problems.

See you Saturday.

sospanbach

apologise lads wont be able to make the Saturday drive now, but will be there sunday at newby, and could be up for Helmsley to Blakey Monday if that is a cert regards dave

D Walker

apologise lads wont be able to make the Saturday drive now, but will be there sunday at newby, and could be up for Helmsley to Blakey Monday if that is a cert regards dave

If the weather is kind, and my hangover has abated, I will collect my car Sun pm, for Monday....

FF1078

If your meeting up for a drive on Monday I ould be up for that time dependant as I'm sure my good lady wont want to be up too early on a bank holiday

jamesc69

Hi David
We are planning to go to Newby on Sunday so we may join you for the drive there.
What time are you planning on leaving the Red Lion on Sunday?

James

philgarner

Will see if I can get a pass out and meet you all for lunch at Tan Hill Inn and drive the south. Can't make Newby so I'll head back home via Clitheroe.

So plan to arrive for lunch there 2pm?

Doohickey

Velociraptor
Hi David
We are planning to go to Newby on Sunday so we may join you for the drive there.
What time are you planning on leaving the Red Lion on Sunday?

James

The gates at Newby open at 9am and it's about an hour away so probably c. 8am but it depends on what time breakfast is!

Will see if I can get a pass out and meet you all for lunch at Tan Hill Inn and drive the south. Can't make Newby so I'll head back home via Clitheroe.

So plan to arrive for lunch there 2pm?

That's the plan. Be great to see you.