Hello from Germany

DubaiRescue

Hi

i'm Peter from Germany, 50+ of age and since a couple of weeks owner of a QP4 V6 Evo,1999 2.8

I found the car during my vacation in Dubai, UAE.
It was standing at the roadside in poor condition: paint worn out, tires flat, brake discs rusty, no number plates.Oman_1180.jpg
After I contacted the owner, a couple of attempts to start the engine failed. The power was supplied from a LR Defender, because battery was totally discharged after one year in the heat.
Nevertheles, I bought it and got it painted in Sharjah, UAE.
Oman_1856.jpg
Now I wait for it to be shipped to Europe.
20171231_113622.jpg
After arrival, I will fix the engine starting problem and do a major maintenance job on the car.

I found this forum after I registered in the German Maserati Forum.
They set links into this forum from time to time, since all drivers seem to face similar problems and suport from others is always appriciated.

Kind regards
Peter

Lozzer

Hello Peter, that's some random commitment !, Not the first place that springs to mind when buying a car, hope you get it back to the EU and sorted OK :thumb3:

allandwf

Excellent, quite an adventure. Best of luck with it, looking forward to regular updates.

zagatoes30

Welcome, brave taking on a unknown QP IV hope once its back you can get it up and running - must consider getting to work on restoring mine at some point

IMG_2048.jpg

DubaiRescue

update:

vehicle arrived in Antwerp 24th of Feb, one week behind original schedule.

I took it to Germany on 27th on a closed trailer to protect it against salt and dirt.
IMG_2846.jpg
Today I figured out the engine starting problem: the fuel pump got stuck. When directly conneted to battery, nothings rotating but curent flowing through the unit
IMG_2858.jpg
Tomorrow I will collect a new pump and replace it togehter with the fuel filter.

The vehicle has 54 000km on the clock and unclear maintenance history.
So I will do the 60 000 km maintenance right now to be safe.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Well done, Peter! What a story. I look forward to your continued updates on how the restoration is coming on. The car certainly looks better for its new paintwork. Good work.

DubaiRescue

Picked up the car in Antwerp.
IMG_2842.jpg
The fuel pump got stuck. It was fixed by some bush mechanic in the tank unit with a rubber tube, that dissolved in the fuel. That smear blocked the pump.
Pumpe_02.jpg
After 2 starts with beautiful sound, one inlet valve of cylinder 4 got stuck at 3rd start.
EV_Z4_vorn.jpg
It's moving again with support of Modena Tridente workshop.

Keep you updated

DubaiRescue

diff oil changed, urgently needed.
DiffOel.jpg
Currently working on steering gear.
1 tie rod end worn out, bush repair found under under boot
kopf.jpg
all rubber boots need to be replaced
schritt_3.jpg
bearings in RH lever completely worn out, LH side little wear, all to replace
Ausdrücken.jpg

someone might call it "maintenance backlog"