Skyhook - reason for its name

F456M

Hello! I had a few emails With Fabio Collina, at the Classiche dept at Maserati in Italy today as I had a few questions aout a specific car. I could not resist asking why they used "Skyhook" for the name of the upgraded suspention system, as Skyhook is not really any true definition by thinking of it....

Here is the reply: "The reason of the name is because this system keep the car as it is connected with an hook to the sky…..what a fantasy, ahahah !" Italians sence of humor! :shy2:

spkennyuk

Quote from the www :

Skyhook theory is that the ideal suspension would let the vehicle maintain a stable posture as if suspended by an imaginary hook in the sky, unaffected by road conditions.

The imaginary line (of zero vertical acceleration) is calculated based on the value provided by an acceleration sensor installed on the body of the vehicle . Since the dynamic elements are only made up of the linear spring and the linear damper, no complicated calculations are necessary

Zep

And here was me thinking it was to do with Willy Wonka's glass lift...!

F456M

I'd want to be hooked to the road rather than the sky!

That's about what I was going to say too. My Maserati is not at all on a cushion of air and skys. However, it makes me smile mostly all the time.

alfatwo

I remember when I was an apprentice at the Jag in the 60's the forman sent me to the stores to collect a box of sky hooks!

Basta*d :D

Dave

alfatwo

Haha, I bet you got a free long stand too ;)

Right I did.. they used to stick a broom handle across the shoulders of your overalls and hang you up in the roof girders for an hour or two with a rope!

Can you imagine the snowflakes nowadays, they'd have to go for 6 months rehabilitation :wink:

Dave

G

Guest 1678

Tartan paint
Glass Mallet
Left handed screwdriver

Oh how we laughed back in the day!

Andyk

Sky because it was an idea just plucked out of the sky and hook after the pirate in Peter Pan as it rides the road like a pirate ship over the waves.....Sure that's what they told me when I visited the factory.

philw696

Apparently apprentice's have rights today whereas back in the 70'S for me they didn't exist and it was better for it in my opinion.

rockits

Sky because it was an idea just plucked out of the sky and hook after the pirate in Peter Pan as it rides the road like a pirate ship over the waves.....Sure that's what they told me when I visited the factory.
Don't you just love Marketing people. Present company accepted on here of course.

I wonder what it would be like to live in airy fairy land with all the marketing people on their planet.

safrane

Oh what fun we had back in the day.

Growing up in a crappy northern mill town opportunities were rare...when I did my work experience I was sent to Priestley Shoe Factory at aged 15 for a week.

It was full of women who as soon as the supervisor left used me as their toy. At one stage they stripped me naked and dumped me in the shoe box making room with just a size six box to cover my embarrassment... these days that would get you a spell in HMP and a life of registration on the sex offenders register.

Now hows that for thread drift!

When I left the building industry I was tied spread eagled onto the back of the tipper trucks load bed...greased from head to foot and then covered with a JCB bucket full of sharp sand...took an age to get clean again... and boy did it smart in some areas...great for exfoliating though.

bigbob

Oh what fun we had back in the day.

Growing up in a crappy northern mill town opportunities were rare...when I did my work experience I was sent to Priestley Shoe Factory at aged 15 for a week.

It was full of women who as soon as the supervisor left used me as their toy. At one stage they stripped me naked and dumped me in the shoe box making room with just a size six box to cover my embarrassment... these days that would get you a spell in HMP and a life of registration on the sex offenders register.

Now hows that for thread drift!

When I left the building industry I was tied spread eagled onto the back of the tipper trucks load bed...greased from head to foot and then covered with a JCB bucket full of sharp sand...took an age to get clean again... and boy did it smart in some areas...great for exfoliating though.

Exfoliating?