Owning cars and never driving them...

Mattp

I was idly flicking through autotrader as one does when work feels like an after thought and my head starts to hurt, I see this...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ising-location=at_cars&postcode=co70an&page=1

a 2013 car with only 600 miles on the clock! and its not the only one!

Im used to seeing Ferrari, Rolls and Bentley etc with mileage in the low thousands but thats enough mileage to have been somewhere!

All the cars I have owned, I have loved driving especially my Alfa and even more so the QP - to the point that when I get back from a drive, I often don't wish to stop! In the few months of Maserati ownership I must have racked up a few hundred miles just visiting friends and giving joyrides, how can you own a car like that Bugatti and not drive it? im not talking about 200+ mph every day, but just to restaurants, clubs and events? an investment purchase maybe? even so... a few more miles wouldn't hurt it?!

allandwf

I buy mine as cars for driving, some are toys, but need to be capable of being used as a car if required, if you know what I mean. I also tend to buy higher mileage, usually less trouble and don't have to worry about it effecting resale. I realise some may be bought as museum pieces and kept as such, but at the end of the day it's a car.

Lozzer

Belongs to Sadiq Kahn I believe, he bought it before his political adgenda took off, bit of a bummer not being able to be seen driving it, tearing up the streets of London doing his best impression of Ralph McTell , shame, never mind, it is difficult , I think there is a fine line between racking up the miles and creating a ruinous mothball.......

D Walker

That would be karma, the bloke who is taxing the &uck out of congesting vehicles had a car that does gallons to the mile......

azapa

Those Veyrons are a55 ugly!

Regarding not using a nice car too much: I am fine with that. My nice car is for a sunny evening, or a weekend. I love just seeing it in the garage. I cycle to work most days, offsetting my CO2 production too.

When I do drive the Stradale though, it's pretty much full on. No tootling.

Lozzer

Those Veyrons are a55 ugly!

Regarding not using a nice car too much: I am fine with that. My nice car is for a sunny evening, or a weekend. I love just seeing it in the garage. I cycle to work most days, offsetting my CO2 production too.

When I do drive the Stradale though, it's pretty much full on. No tootling.

I admire your commitment to the planet, reducing our co2 output is the way forward, as I am doing, I still take the Maserati to work (bad co2 I know :( ) but, and its a BIG but, I've changed from pints of Cider to John Smith's ( Less CO2 you see) I see that as me and the planet being even, back slapping and big high fives and all that....

D Walker

I guess its all relative, when I had the 4200, i did 3000 miles in the year, 1600 on one trip in a week, the rest were "special" trips out.

None were trips to Tesco....

zagatoes30

I use my cars, the SZ had 9000 miles on when I bought it. First weekend we took it on an Alfa trip to France, when we got back we had covered 1700 miles and when I checked the paperwork that was more than it had done in any year of its life previously. The poor old girl has been used and abused since and is os much better for it

Navcorr

I've changed from pints of Cider to John Smith's ( Less CO2 you see) I see that as me and the planet being even, back slapping and big high fives and all that....
I'm all for high 5s, and a bit of thread drift never hurt anyone, BUT .... John Smith's! .... really?!! :)
I realise I may well incur Northern wrath but JS is an abomination - concocted in a laboratory.
As for cutting back on CO2, hmmm, maybe, but you'll definitely be contributing more methane:
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/does-your-beer-make-you-fart.40087/

Andyk

I was idly flicking through autotrader as one does when work feels like an after thought and my head starts to hurt, I see this...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ising-location=at_cars&postcode=co70an&page=1

a 2013 car with only 600 miles on the clock! and its not the only one!

Im used to seeing Ferrari, Rolls and Bentley etc with mileage in the low thousands but thats enough mileage to have been somewhere!

All the cars I have owned, I have loved driving especially my Alfa and even more so the QP - to the point that when I get back from a drive, I often don't wish to stop! In the few months of Maserati ownership I must have racked up a few hundred miles just visiting friends and giving joyrides, how can you own a car like that Bugatti and not drive it? im not talking about 200+ mph every day, but just to restaurants, clubs and events? an investment purchase maybe? even so... a few more miles wouldn't hurt it?!

Probably decided didn't want to seen out in a white Bugatti.......That colour really doesn't suit it.

zagatoes30

I'm all for high 5s, and a bit of thread drift never hurt anyone, BUT .... John Smith's! .... really?!! :)
I realise I may well incur Northern wrath but JS is an abomination - concocted in a laboratory.

With you there, just brown chemicals purporting to be beer

FF1078

With you there, just brown chemicals purporting to be beer

I've got a new land lord at my local and to try and poach some of the drinkers from other pubs he has put John Smiths on!
And it worked, it's the busiest pub in my small town now!

Sorry to jump on the thread swerve :lol2:

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
John Smiths is ******* shite. And so’s Boddingtons, incidentally.

Cars should be used, but I can easily understand simply not having the opportunity if you’re mostly abroad, for example, or suddenly become Mayor of London. I’m hoping that I don’t suddenly become Mayor of London, because I like driving my car and it’s nice to say ******** from time to time without worrying about ending up in the newspaper.

I really must leap to the defense of John Smiths having consumed many (mainly last night!) and to take criticism from an Essex boy is beyond the pale. I suppose you may learn one day (tee hee)