Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: GS / Vantage Comparison

  1. #11
    Senior Member Needamaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1243
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayf View Post
    The Vantage’s manual box is a big draw. I’d still take the GranSport - rear seats, better made, feels special, can fit people taller than Frankie Dettori. A certain magazine has a comparison in the issue on sale at the moment
    Interesting about better made. That wasn't my feeling. Feedback I got from other owners, specialists and dealers was reliability was very good. I am 5'10" and didnt find the Vantage lacking headroom and in fact your article in the mag mentions up to 6'2". I felt every Aston I sat in felt special but then again I felt the same about a Maserati. Agree pre 2007 dash is not that inspiring but later cars are a lot better.
    If you need rear seats the GS is a no brainer but in my 2 years of ownership I think someone was in the rear twice so that wasnt a factor for me. Both are great cars and OP has a GS already.
    Must say, thread drift alert!, I was very impressed with your magazine. Used to subscribe to other mags but gave up as they seemed to be either looking at high end exotica or rusty Vivas. Nice balance and informed writing. Will buy again.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Needamaser View Post
    Interesting about better made. That wasn't my feeling. Feedback I got from other owners, specialists and dealers was reliability was very good. I am 5'10" and didnt find the Vantage lacking headroom and in fact your article in the mag mentions up to 6'2". I felt every Aston I sat in felt special but then again I felt the same about a Maserati. Agree pre 2007 dash is not that inspiring but later cars are a lot better.
    If you need rear seats the GS is a no brainer but in my 2 years of ownership I think someone was in the rear twice so that wasnt a factor for me. Both are great cars and OP has a GS already.
    Must say, thread drift alert!, I was very impressed with your magazine. Used to subscribe to other mags but gave up as they seemed to be either looking at high end exotica or rusty Vivas. Nice balance and informed writing. Will buy again.
    I was being a little tongue in cheek with the Aston, I’m six foot seven and I didn’t so much drive the Aston as wear it. I also felt that the Aston’s interior was a bit poor. I understand later cars are better though...
    Thanks for the kind comments on the mag btw.
    Assistant Editor of Modern Classics magazine. Views under this account are my own.

    Maserless, but I do own an Alfa Romeo 147 GTA.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Needamaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1243
    Quote Originally Posted by JJbing View Post
    Agree with most of what you say, but I loved the small cabin minus the sat nav!

    It's definitely a car which you need to drive a lot to get the most out of it, my girlfriend hated driving it due to the clutch and handbrake..

    I sold mine for more than I paid but I did modify it, that may change now with the new v8 vantage being released?
    Clutch reminded me of my 70's 911. Very heavy but again got used to it.
    Who knows what will happen to values with new car but new car is at a totally different price point to older car and perhaps almost new "old" models may be affected I am not sure it will make any difference to older ones. In fact it may even push prices up. Thing is unlike Maserati (with the odd exception such as the GS models) , Astons just dont keep dropping in value.
    Earliest/cheapest Vantages are making the same money that they were 2/3 years ago when I was looking then. In fact they are probably slightly up.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Needamaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1243
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayf View Post
    I was being a little tongue in cheek with the Aston, I’m six foot seven and I didn’t so much drive the Aston as wear it.
    Flippin heck. You need a GT40 "Gurney bubble" fitted to anything you drive!

  5. #15
    Senior Member Felonious Crud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    N.E. Essex
    Posts
    9893
    Quote Originally Posted by D Walker View Post
    The very quandary I’m having? Have an Aston itch, but a Maser ache??
    Dave, I can help you with these crippling issues. You can buy my GTS, and I'll buy a Vantage. I promise to send photos and a detailed assessment of why you are so much happier with the Maser.
    Aston Martin Vantage V12S. With an Italian gearbox. And two less cats than standard.
    Fiat 500 twin-air, a fire-breathing beast
    Hayter lawnmower, in dark verde ithica

    Past: 2009 GTS MC-shift, with x-pipe and a stripe. Amazing car.
    A shitbox Ford Capri, Ford Orion (a modern classic!), a Ford Escort, an annual train season ticket, a bus ticket, 1982 Peugeot 12-speed racing bike

  6. #16
    Senior Member Andyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chepstow
    Posts
    48219
    Quote Originally Posted by JJbing View Post
    I had a V8 Vantage as an everyday car, 30,000 miles including adventures around europe!

    Never missed a beat, expensive to run (as is every supercar), fun to drive.. standard car needs modifying in my opinion. I fitted 21" DBS wheels, lowering springs, clear rear lights (newer v8's have them standard) & Larini 200 cell cats

    Do it!!!

    Attachment 46909 Attachment 46911
    That's stunning...Daily drive to......

    Everyone knows my view on the Vantage and most said above. Still the best looking car produced in the last 15 years it not longer. Perfect from any angle....Do it...scratch that itch.....
    Maserless

    Daily drive
    2013 Mercedes C250 CDI AMG Sports Plus.
    The Maserati
    Past Maserati 3200 GT - Silver with blue leather.
    Past Italian
    Alfa 155 1.8
    Alfa 155 2.0 wide body
    Alfa GTV twin Spark
    Alfa GTV V6
    Alfa 156 Sportswagon selespeed - Pile of poo.
    Alfa GTV V6 - A lovely well sorted car.
    Alfa Brera 2.4 diesel....my love affair with Alfa ended here.
    Lancia Delta Intragle 16v
    Other
    BMW M3 CSL - Amazing car.
    BMW E46 M3
    BMW E39 M5
    BMW E30 M3
    Lotus Elise x 5
    Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Lotus Exige x 2
    TVR T350T
    Jaguar XE R Sport

  7. #17
    Senior Member D Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Thirsk, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    5948
    Quote Originally Posted by Felonious Crud View Post
    Dave, I can help you with these crippling issues. You can buy my GTS, and I'll buy a Vantage. I promise to send photos and a detailed assessment of why you are so much happier with the Maser.
    What a considerate person you are Adam...but it’s not a GS!!!

  8. #18
    Senior Member urquattrogus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    478
    After reading the modern classics article I've been scanning the classifieds looking at 30-40K Vantages.

    After selling the 3200AC I bought a Griffith 500, a different sort of car, and it's put a lot of big smiles on my face!

    Maybe the Aston is just a nice object - I'm worried that it might feel a bit underpowered/unfocused!

    Day to day the Giulia spoils me now, maybe really it would need to be a later and dearer 4.7 Aston which I can't afford.

    The V12V just makes me feel maybe one day!!!!!!!!
    Current:

    2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio Verde
    1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce#
    1996 TVR Griffith 500
    1983 Land Rover Series III
    Past: 3200 Assetto Corsa GTA 23/75, 2013 M135i, 1966 Plymouth Belvedere 440 7.2L, 1984 Audi Ur Quattro (AAN Convereted to 450bhp), 2010 Ford Focus RS MP350, 2008 Ford Focus ST

  9. #19
    Senior Member Felonious Crud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    N.E. Essex
    Posts
    9893
    Bamford Rose will take an Aston V8 to the brink of 500hp and with a voice like thunder.

    And they'll take a V12 up by 70hp, if you ask nicely.
    Aston Martin Vantage V12S. With an Italian gearbox. And two less cats than standard.
    Fiat 500 twin-air, a fire-breathing beast
    Hayter lawnmower, in dark verde ithica

    Past: 2009 GTS MC-shift, with x-pipe and a stripe. Amazing car.
    A shitbox Ford Capri, Ford Orion (a modern classic!), a Ford Escort, an annual train season ticket, a bus ticket, 1982 Peugeot 12-speed racing bike

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Felonious Crud View Post
    Bamford Rose will take an Aston V8 to the brink of 500hp and with a voice like thunder.

    And they'll take a V12 up by 70hp, if you ask nicely.
    Mike and the guys really know what they’re doing, great specialists.
    Maserati sourcing and sales

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •