Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GS / Vantage Comparison

Hi all

I was just wondering how these two compare against each other?

Currently own a GS which I love to bits but considering scratching an itch!

Has anyone owned or even driven both? How is the Vantage as an everyday car?

Any experiences most welcome, cheers
    Roger

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maserati GranSport - Blu Mediterraneo, present
    Maserati 4200 Coupe - Grigio Nuvolari, past
    Maserati 3200 Coupe - Sebring Blue, past

As the Vantage is a two seater, I see it as being in a different class of car. Still can be compared though of course.
    Mike

02 "Classico" 4200 CC Coupe
    74 Triumph Stag
    17 BMW M140i
    15 Volvo V40 D4 R-Design

Past Italians: FIAT Panda, Lancia Y10 Fire, Lancia Y10 Turbo, Alfa Romeo 33S 16V Cloverleaf Permanent 4, Alfa Romeo 146 Ti

I have owned both. Used a Vantage V8S as a daily and clocked up 20K miles. Great car, probably a better daily than the GS if you get a post MY12.5 model. Prior to that not a lot in it but an itch worth scratching. In a bit of a hurry tonight but can post more later if you have specific questions.

Manual has s heavy clutch. If you don't have sports exhaust, sounds poor. And they look like a ford in someone else's mirror. But the vantage looks great. Buy a fiesta and save up for the V12.

I had a V8 Vantage as an everyday car, 30,000 miles including adventures around europe!

Never missed a beat, expensive to run (as is every supercar), fun to drive.. standard car needs modifying in my opinion. I fitted 21" DBS wheels, lowering springs, clear rear lights (newer v8's have them standard) & Larini 200 cell cats

Do it!!!

IMG_3227.jpg IMG_3226.jpg

Contemplated an early Vantage before I settled on a GTS. Think I made the right choice as the early ones don't impress as much.

The Vantage’s manual box is a big draw. I’d still take the GranSport - rear seats, better made, feels special, can fit people taller than Frankie Dettori. A certain magazine has a comparison in the issue on sale at the moment
    Assistant Editor of Modern Classics magazine. Views under this account are my own.

Maserless, but I do own an Alfa Romeo 147 GTA.

Had a 4200 and driven the Vantage.
    Driving experience was totally different. Felt the 4.3 was lacking torque and compared to the Maser the controls were very heavy. Power was there but you had to use the revs. Soon got used to it. Felt the Vantage was wrapped around me and I was wearing the car. In dark interiors you might find it a bit claustrophobic. Vantage felt far more substantial and solid compared to the Maser. Real leather, alloy, wood etc. Looks wise I think the Vantage is just right from every angle. I dont care what someone else thinks about the looks. It is your car and your opinion is the one that counts. Lost count of number of people that asked me if the 4200 was a Jag. Disagree exhaust is poor. Pull fuse 22 (30 second job) and valves are open all the time and I dont think there is much in it compared to a non modified Maser. Yes, like the Maser, you can remove cats etc if you want more volume. Seem to recall Clarkson waxing lyrical about Vantage exhaust note.
    As Hashluck says the newer the better and the 4.7 is probably worth stretching to if you can. 4.3 is still a great car but I preferred the post 2007 seats in the 4.3
    Choice of manual or Sportshift. Coming from the CC 4200 I wanted a good old fashioned manual but you should try both and see what you think.
    One major difference is selling the car when you decide to change. When I was buying my car dealer had an 06 84k Vantage in at £38k. Sold it almost immediately and could have sold it 6 times over. They will buy into stock any car, any mileage as long as it has been serviced.
    I visited 2 dealers and both were superb to deal with. No pressure but couldn't do enough to help. If you are buying from a main dealer the 12 month warranty with the car is second to none.
    I dont think you would regret scratching your itch.

Quote Originally Posted by Needamaser View Post
    Had a 4200 and driven the Vantage.
    Driving experience was totally different. Felt the 4.3 was lacking torque and compared to the Maser the controls were very heavy. Power was there but you had to use the revs. Soon got used to it. Felt the Vantage was wrapped around me and I was wearing the car. In dark interiors you might find it a bit claustrophobic. Vantage felt far more substantial and solid compared to the Maser. Real leather, alloy, wood etc. Looks wise I think the Vantage is just right from every angle. I dont care what someone else thinks about the looks. It is your car and your opinion is the one that counts. Lost count of number of people that asked me if the 4200 was a Jag. Disagree exhaust is poor. Pull fuse 22 (30 second job) and valves are open all the time and I dont think there is much in it compared to a non modified Maser. Yes, like the Maser, you can remove cats etc if you want more volume. Seem to recall Clarkson waxing lyrical about Vantage exhaust note.
    As Hashluck says the newer the better and the 4.7 is probably worth stretching to if you can. 4.3 is still a great car but I preferred the post 2007 seats in the 4.3
    Choice of manual or Sportshift. Coming from the CC 4200 I wanted a good old fashioned manual but you should try both and see what you think.
    One major difference is selling the car when you decide to change. When I was buying my car dealer had an 06 84k Vantage in at £38k. Sold it almost immediately and could have sold it 6 times over. They will buy into stock any car, any mileage as long as it has been serviced.
    I visited 2 dealers and both were superb to deal with. No pressure but couldn't do enough to help. If you are buying from a main dealer the 12 month warranty with the car is second to none.
    I dont think you would regret scratching your itch.

Agree with most of what you say, but I loved the small cabin minus the sat nav!

It's definitely a car which you need to drive a lot to get the most out of it, my girlfriend hated driving it due to the clutch and handbrake..
    be careful not to damage your key.. the aston badge peeled on mine which revealed... a Volvo badge

I sold mine for more than I paid but I did modify it, that may change now with the new v8 vantage being released?

The very quandary I’m having? Have an Aston itch, but a Maser ache??

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast