Key Fob

Wanderer

I'd mentioned my key fob woes previously - trying to get the eBay Chinese ones (wons?) to work, the shells are good quality, at least as good as the official ones, everything matches up apart from the blade - need to get the one with the shells cut, the original fits but the spring mechanism is a different and won't retract.

However, after several tries and found someone who managed to to cut the replacement blade from the original without any woes (he actually said it was easy) - cost me €25 mind but a lot cheaper than the official part.

All works perfectly, blade flicks and locks in and out, starts car, buttons open/close car arm/disarm alarm, and look a mill times better than the knackered originals. Just need to swap the Maserati Badge over when I've ensured new ones works over time.

Chap was Northside Key Cutting, Northside Shopping Centre, Dublin.

IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg

CatmanV2

Cool. Can you share a link to the key shell? The last ones I looked at were totally different internally

C

Wanderer

Cool. Can you share a link to the key shell? The last ones I looked at were totally different internally

C

No prob, I'll collate the info tmrw, watching Darkest Hour now! I've got a spare new shell and the original one apart so I'll photograph the internal views of both, these are identical inside as far as I can see. The battery holder is slightly different too, I used the replace one and all fine. I think they were about $9.00 each. I'll paste the link (eBay) when I collect all the pics etc.

They are deeper blue as you can see which I prefer, not sure how long the key ring slider will last but it looks strong enough and is captive with the battery holder in place. Also the buttons are better, and even unlocks/disarms from directly behind, which my car struggled with. Might be the newer battery though.

Is there a comprehensive idiots guide with links / pics / instructions etc for changing the whole shebang?
My keys are rubbish considering the prestige of the marque.

Wanderer

Is there a comprehensive idiots guide with links / pics / instructions etc for changing the whole shebang?
My keys are rubbish considering the prestige of the marque.

There will be soon! There have been some identical swap fobs out there but I can't source any - asked everywhere - these are good but not perfect however I managed to make it so, number one, so I'll document what I did when I collect all the info I have. Took me a while to sort it - the hard part was the blade cutting as the original doesn't work properly (spring mech is different) lots of people refused to do it, some tried and said they couldn't - but this chap today did a cracking job and he said it was no issue.

Wanderer

I bought the fobs from here;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252845270280

Here's a pic of the innards compared with originals, not 100% identical but as near as makes no difference.

Everything fits, use the new blade that comes with the fobs, get it cut somewhere - that took a while for me, YMMV. You need to turn it on the spring twice so it's able to retract before clamping the top shell on, use a hair dryer on the Maserati Trident badge to soften the glue under it and carefully prise it off with a sharp blade, it's easier than it sounds. The main screw holding it together is under it. By far the hardest part is removing the transponder key from the slot in the original. You cannot afford to damage it or break it, what I did was nibble as much plastic as I could from round it, using a pair of small nail clippers, and then leaving the whole half-shell and and transponder in nail polish remover overnight, then using a tiny slot head screwdriver I gently prised it out - it actually came out quite easily with the softened plastic all round it. Just take your time. I stuck it into the new half-shell with some thin double-sided tape, easy, and easy to remove if you balls it up.

I've used the new key today, all works, no issues at all.

IMG_0383.jpg
IMG_0384.jpg

Mattp

It looks like the rubber buttons are the same fitment, are they glued into the shells or would they drop out and swap over? My shell isn't too badly battered, but the buttons have seen better days!

CatmanV2

It looks like the rubber buttons are the same fitment, are they glued into the shells or would they drop out and swap over? My shell isn't too badly battered, but the buttons have seen better days!

The ones I had dropped out

C

Wanderer

Mine are stuck fast on the original and the new. The older ones have a better 'action' I think but they are so worn I can't see the lock/unlock images. The newer ones are tougher if a bit hard.

At least I'm not ashamed of showing anyone the key now!

namaste

When I gave my fob a makeover I used a pattern fob off ebay for the buttons. They are a much stiffer rubber/plastic and I had to glue a little bit of extra plastic onto the prongs underneath so they depress the switches properly when pushed. You didn't have to do the same with this $10 fob? If not I might buy one to do the other fob.

Wanderer

When I gave my fob a makeover I used a pattern fob off ebay for the buttons. They are a much stiffer rubber/plastic and I had to glue a little bit of extra plastic onto the prongs underneath so they depress the switches properly when pushed. You didn't have to do the same with this $10 fob? If not I might buy one to do the other fob.

You do have to press a bit harder, but I think that's because the rubber is harder and flusher, it's no hardship really but that may well be because my fob are so bad. Feels like there's more free movement on the original, where to be honest nothing really happens. Having said that I'd prefer the tactile feel of the originals if they weren't so worn..