4.7 GTS front brake discs

MGT

Good evening everyone. Where is the best place to buy a set of 4.7 discs from currently?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Mine are from Formula Dynamics and they’re the dog’s bollox. I use them with EBC Yellow stuff pads. Unlike the factory setup, when you press the brake pedal, the car stops. It’s brilliant!

MGT

Mine are from Formula Dynamics and they’re the dog’s bollox. I use them with EBC Yellow stuff pads. Unlike the factory setup, when you press the brake pedal, the car stops. It’s brilliant!

Was getting them from the US a hassle free process?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Was getting them from the US a hassle free process?

It probably would have been if I hadn't:

a) decided to hand carry them from Vegas via NYC to London
b) decided, after carrying them from FD to my hotel room and then down to reception to check out, that bollox to that, I'll stick them in the hold with my bags
c) had my bags lost at NYC
d) finally arrived back via Amsterdam and Bristol some time later.

But at least I saved the tax and got them at a good USD-GBP rate (them were the days!).

I think for someone smart enough to not try to be clever it should be pretty easy. Drop them an email / track down the UK distributor.

MGT

So, after a bit of digging about it turns out FD use OEM Maserati discs. The OEM discs have shot up in price since December and apparently fluctuate a bit depending on production cycles + factory stock.

A shame I didn't pick them up for £800 a pair a month ago... They are now 3-400 more than that!

On a related note, I can't believe that there are still no aftermarket alternatives. Anyone have the OEM disc dimensions?

alfatwo

So, after a bit of digging about it turns out FD use OEM Maserati discs. The OEM discs have shot up in price since December and apparently fluctuate a bit depending on production cycles + factory stock.

A shame I didn't pick them up for £800 a pair a month ago... They are now 3-400 more than that!

On a related note, I can't believe that there are still no aftermarket alternatives. Anyone have the OEM disc dimensions?

I'm sure some Porsche's have the same size Brembo discs at half that price, you might have to re drill the mounting holes though

Lets face it Maserati just buy in Brembo brake kits to suite and then get them to stick maser stickers on the calipers, just like Jag do!

Dave

azapa

I'm sure some Porsche's have the same size Brembo discs at half that price, you might have to re drill the mounting holes though

Lets face it Maserati just buy in Brembo brake kits to suite and then get them to stick maser stickers on the calipers, just like Jag do!

Dave

There is a great thread over on maserati life of a chap who strips an early mc shift for track use. Lovely stuff. He buys off the shelf brembo cc disks and calipers, and has the 'hats' machined. Great looking job. But he had problems with the servo, and needed the stradale version to modulate the new brakes correctly. Not sure he ever did that bit too. .

Quite a task!

CatmanV2

Matt at Giallo had some made some time ago. If there's enough interest, maybe he'd get some more made?

C

MGT

Dave

I agree! I haven't found any with the same bell housing design from a quick search. If you look closely you will see what I mean, they have a funny design to how the bell housing meets the rotor itself. I'll do some more digging though and would LOVE some dimensions on the OEM discs.

There is a great thread over on maserati life of a chap who strips an early mc shift for track use. Lovely stuff. He buys off the shelf brembo cc disks and calipers, and has the 'hats' machined. Great looking job. But he had problems with the servo, and needed the stradale version to modulate the new brakes correctly. Not sure he ever did that bit too. .

Quite a task!

Could you PM me a link please? Sounds very interesting

Matt at Giallo had some made some time ago. If there's enough interest, maybe he'd get some more made?

C

Thanks for suggesting Matt. I gave him a call but the cost wasn't different from OEM, and he needs a minimum of 5 people. I guess the advantage to that is it is a bolted up 2-piece design so you could just replace the rotor in the future (although that is the most expensive bit!)

Current best option is Tarox discs, a true 2-piece design and billet steel braking surface... lovely.

Swells65

I put the FD discs, braided lines and Kevlar pads on my GranSport a few years ago - made a huge difference over what was originally fitted / or fitted by previous owners.

MGT

I put the FD discs, braided lines and Kevlar pads on my GranSport a few years ago - made a huge difference over what was originally fitted / or fitted by previous owners.

I bet. FD don't make discs for the GT 4.7 though, they use OEM parts.

bigbob

How bizarre and potentially unbelievable. One of our fold brought some back from the USA so perhaps he can expand on this?