4.7 GTS front brake discs

MGT

How bizarre and potentially unbelievable. One of our fold brought some back from the USA so perhaps he can expand on this?

I just called FD USA again, they confirmed they are OEM. Information on their website re: improved metallurgy must be a mistake according to the chap I spoke to.

MGT

Any updated prices on OEM discs? Reckon I will need some by the summer so still weighing up the options.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
How bizarre and potentially unbelievable. One of our fold brought some back from the USA so perhaps he can expand on this?

Mine were drilled and grooved, so look exactly like the disks which came on the later Sportline spec GTS (is that what they called it?) models, which from memory had the Strad suspension setup as well as well as different brake disks. Now, whether the FD ones are OEM via a different supply chain I don't know. I don't recall any manufacturer stamps. They're certainly different from the originals which my car had. And claimed to be lighter.

What I do know for sure is that they're better, and a fraction of the price. Waveydavey, in Bristol, has them now.

JonW

Think I’m going to investigate buying a set from FD while I’m in the US in July. The price difference is nuts...

bigbob

Mine were drilled and grooved, so look exactly like the disks which came on the later Sportline spec GTS (is that what they called it?) models, which from memory had the Strad suspension setup as well as well as different brake disks. Now, whether the FD ones are OEM via a different supply chain I don’t know. I don’t recall any manufacturer stamps. They’re certainly different from the originals which my car had. And claimed to be lighter.

What I do know for sure is that they’re better, and a fraction of the price. Waveydavey, in Bristol, has them now.

Interesting. That also reminds people to get two prices for OEM when they need to replace front brakes on a 4.7 - grooved and ungrooved.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Think I’m going to investigate buying a set from FD while I’m in the US in July. The price difference is nuts...

You might get whacked for import duty. In an effort towards 'tax efficiency', I decided to hand-carry mine. By the time I got to the airport in Vegas, I had decided that 20kg is bloody heavy, so I checked them in. At JFK they failed to make my connecting flght, and went missing. They arrived with me three weeks later via Amsterdam and Bristol. Shaken, but not stirred.

My point is, it might just be easier to see if you can get them via the UK distributor. It always used to be Noor, from Torenno. Not sure if he's still the man for FD in the UK.

GeoffCapes

Mine were drilled and grooved, so look exactly like the disks which came on the later Sportline spec GTS (is that what they called it?) models, which from memory had the Strad suspension setup as well as well as different brake disks. Now, whether the FD ones are OEM via a different supply chain I don’t know. I don’t recall any manufacturer stamps. They’re certainly different from the originals which my car had. And claimed to be lighter.

What I do know for sure is that they’re better, and a fraction of the price. Waveydavey, in Bristol, has them now.

Contacted Larini in the UK, who are FD distributors of and their disks are OEM.

The UK guys don't sell drilled and grooved disks :(

Will see if I can find a source in Europe that's cheaper.

O37

On this hot topic of brakes..

With my car currently with the main dealer having a service they informed me that both front disks/pads and just rear pads needed changing. No real surprise when they offered a fitted price approaching £3500, using OEM parts.

Aware that this was a potential outcome, and following much deliberation looking at all options with an eye on value I went with the following from https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/

maserati_brakes.jpg

The intention is that my regular local mechanic will fit. Hopefully this helps others looking for 360mm fronts, I believe it is the most competitive option in terms of both price and performance today.

http://www.tarox.co.uk/product/front-tarox-brake-discs-maserati-granturismo-4-7-bespoke-2/

If you use demon tweaks for the 10% discount you'll need promotional code EBAYPR18. The yellow stuff front pads were for a SL55 09, and rears for a standard 2008 Granturismo 4.2.

john4fun

I have the Tarox discs front and rear and there corsa pads only done about 200 miles but very pleased with them.

MGT

On this hot topic of brakes..

With my car currently with the main dealer having a service they informed me that both front disks/pads and just rear pads needed changing. No real surprise when they offered a fitted price approaching £3500, using OEM parts.

Aware that this was a potential outcome, and following much deliberation looking at all options with an eye on value I went with the following from https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/

View attachment 47944

The intention is that my regular local mechanic will fit. Hopefully this helps others looking for 360mm fronts, I believe it is the most competitive option in terms of both price and performance today.

http://www.tarox.co.uk/product/front-tarox-brake-discs-maserati-granturismo-4-7-bespoke-2/

If you use demon tweaks for the 10% discount you'll need promotional code EBAYPR18. The yellow stuff front pads were for a SL55 09, and rears for a standard 2008 Granturismo 4.2.

By coincidence, I have gone for the exact same setup. Can't wait to get them on.

O37

No really coincidence, we're just limited on options. :study:

To be honest it seems my deliberation wasn't long enough. Now seriously considering cancelling and ordering the two piece variant, will have to order direct form TAROX as they are not offered elsewhere. Back to the same price as OEM. BTW my link was for the two piece whilst the purchase was for a single billet.

The object is to improve handling performance by reducing un-sprung weight, anyone have experience with this two piece TAROX combination especially with the latest version of skyhook suspension?

Phoned Tarox, they couldn't confirm weights but notice that you (MGT) previously posted some weights, do you know how accurate those were?

Apart from that the other advantages are that the disks are machined from a steel billet so they should significantly outlast existing. I'm informed the single piece is to meet German regulations only, the two piece are fitted with elongated bolts to allow for controlled float and improved heat expansion. Tarox seemed confident that with no spring washer they wouldn't suffer wear and rattle down the line.

Finally the two piece can accept a disc only update, to the anodised bell, which reduces some of the forward costs, but I'm not selling yet ! decisions.....

Out of interest how good are the TAROX CORSA pads compared to yellow stuff?

MGT

No really coincidence, we're just limited on options. :study:

To be honest it seems my deliberation wasn't long enough. Now seriously considering cancelling and ordering the two piece variant, will have to order direct form TAROX as they are not offered elsewhere. Back to the same price as OEM. BTW my link was for the two piece whilst the purchase was for a single billet.

The object is to improve handling performance by reducing un-sprung weight, anyone have experience with this two piece TAROX combination especially with the latest version of skyhook suspension?

Phoned Tarox, they couldn't confirm weights but notice that you (MGT) previously posted some weights, do you know how accurate those were?

Apart from that the other advantages are that the disks are machined from a steel billet so they should significantly outlast existing. I'm informed the single piece is to meet German regulations only, the two piece are fitted with elongated bolts to allow for controlled float and improved heat expansion. Tarox seemed confident that with no spring washer they wouldn't suffer wear and rattle down the line.

Finally the two piece can accept a disc only update, to the anodised bell, which reduces some of the forward costs, but I'm not selling yet ! decisions.....

Out of interest how good are the TAROX CORSA pads compared to yellow stuff?

Oh sorry, I thought yours were the two-piece. That is what I went for, direct from Tarox. The weights that I got were from a chap in Tarox's Technical Sales team.

Again:

Front axle single piece disc, part number S2-2713 made from billet steel. Weight 22.6kg/pair
Front axle two piece disc, Part number S2-3046 composed of billet steel rotor and separate anodised alloy bell. Weight 20.5kg/pair
Front discs are equivalent to Maserati OE part number 235318. 360 x 32 x 61.5mm.

O37

Many thanks MGT, I will cancel and re-order the 2 piece. 2.1Kg per axle increase over the 2 piece is significant.

Conversant that the skyhook system was updated for the sport, could be mistaken, but see video below from Harry..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwSZHdgWOD4

2:23 onwards

http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/alfieri06qqqqqqqqq.htm

The handling has received significant attention, with a new, sportier tune of the Skyhook active-suspension system and the adoption of grooved and drilled dual-cast brake discs.

The upgraded “Sport Skyhook” uses acceleration sensors to register wheel and chassis movement. It sends this data to a central processor, which also analyzes the road conditions and the driving style and instantly and precisely regulates the dampers to suit any situation.

With the GranCabrio Sport, the Skyhook system received upgraded management software and dampers to give a sharper focus on handling, grip and balance, while even the springs and anti-roll bars have been upgraded.

Derived from the GranTurismo’s high-strength steel monocoque architecture, the GranCabrio and GranCabrio Sport feature aluminium structural reinforcements beneath the floor for extra rigidity at the cost of only 100kg compared to the GranTurismo S.

bigbob

Yep Sport got updated skyhook and grooved discs so people should check both prices with Maserati for new discs, front and back.