Carpet re-dying?

davidhowson

As I have most of the insides of my car out, I'm wanting to refresh the carpets and apart from replacing the carpets for new ones at great expense, has anyone had experience of using a dye on their car?
I am referring to the main fitted carpet not the over-mats.
My carpets are a light grey / dirty colour now but I would rather like to have dark navy or black.
I'm concerned that any dye may rub off on shoes or clothes if it's not permanent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

conaero

Forum Owner
Like anything its all about prep and effort put in. If you do, you will get fabulous results, I assume you are staying the same colour?

Seats out, wet vac the carpet a couple of times, let it dry fully, mask up then spray on and work in with a brush or sponge. If you use the brush, watch out for the 'flicking' of dye everywhere.

BL330

Hi David, Sorry for the delay in replying as my Surface Pro had to be re-configured after the blue screen of death.
So tonight I've gone in to re post the photos and found my complete folder of my car photos has been lost in the restore.
I have it backed up somewhere else, just need to go through USB's to find it.
So in the mean time look up a carpet re-dye post I did a year or more back, either under Gransport or general maintenance/detailing category.
Also Beau responded on that thread that he had done his in-situ.
I've had no problems with it rubbing off.
I removed the carpet, cleaned thoroughly to remove the stain from the heater matrix leak.
I brushed the pile with a tooth brush sized wire brush so the fibres weren't clumped.
Sprayed the dye it in a couple of directions. Let it dry, rubbed by hand to smooth out the stiffness.
Refitted the carpet.
Awesome result.

Regards,

Bruce

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
You might be surprised at the cost, in a good way.
The fitted over mats, when I decided to buy some replacements a different colour, where cheaper than some aftermarket fitted over mats, like £60 the set from Maserati.

Phil the Brit

You might be surprised at the cost, in a good way.
The fitted over mats, when I decided to buy some replacements a different colour, where cheaper than some aftermarket fitted over mats, like £60 the set from Maserati.

Yes, exactly what I paid for mat set from main dealer. Great quality.

davidhowson

Well I went and did it!
Dyed the carpets black. Rather a messy job and even with gloves on I managed to dye a few fingers black for a week!
However, the results are nothing short of amazing. Paid about £30 for the dye kit and it took three coats to get a wonderful, rich colour evenly over what were very faded light grey carpets with rusty patches where the fitting screws went.

Before:

d2329e920c000231e66884d77f69778d.jpg

During:

e5e3eb854291cc3be89bdf2691b2d11e.jpg

8a151c179840c0f489f03520af4d36f0.jpg

And After:

d6c94ce5522b26695f54a3db8146ca1e.jpg

I still have about 2 of the 5 litres left if anyone needs anything dying black !!

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Gp79

That's a massive transformation, it has taken years off the interior.

Where did you source the dye?

Are you completely finished now, i hope no electrical gremlins or new rattles.

Got to get myself warmed up for the matrix job next winter, i'll bypass it for the summer.

Cheers Greg

davidhowson

Thanks for the feedback, it really has made such a difference and all's well.
The dye came from ebay item number 112461364273

Do let me know if I can be of any help when you come to do the job yourself.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk