Anyone know this Granturismo in North Yorks?

bigbob

Mind wishbones, dampers, nav unit, a/c compressor etc. There are lots of things that can cost serious money on any older, complex car that was expensive new. At least there is no turbo(s) to go!

CatmanV2

Good question. One for the main dealers and indies to answer.

Although you hear about it being a potential issue, you don't hear about it being fixed that often. If it were such a big problem you would imagine that main dealers and indies would be doing 2 or 3 a week.
And I just don't think that is the case.

Maybe they are all fixed? I mean how many *were* there to start off with?

C

bigbob

Using the How Many Left website, I would say about 5,000 sold between 2007 and 2009 in the UK.

Guess at 3,500 still left?

Sales volumes are a lot less than that. Even including the GranCab (which was never sold as a 4.2), the GranTurismo has sold less than 3000 units in the UK full stop (2007-2017) and the QPV full auto only sold about 650 units 2007-13.

Ewan

I know that engine numbers and the like have been covered before and most cars after approx 2010 are ok but do we have any idea what percentage of potentially affected cars actually have been? Forums generally are very good at over estimating problems. Is the hit rate 5% or 50% as I have no idea?

Far fewer than the forum would make you believe. When I asked Emblem, for example, I recall them saying they'd done one. And they deal with loads of the 4.2 engined GS, QP and GT cars of the 2007-09 era.

outrun

Far fewer than the forum would make you believe. When I asked Emblem, for example, I recall them saying they'd done one. And they deal with loads of the 4.2 engined GS, QP and GT cars of the 2007-09 era.

It wouldn't put me off. It's a low volume car from a classic maker. It comes with the prospect of the odd bill but to be honest, I paid more looking after 911s than I have with maserati.

montravia

Ditto Dick in Swindon. Mine is a one of those potentially to suffer and I've done 12k this last 12 months bringing her up to near 40k. No signs yet and DL indicate that it much depends on the use and care, they see much Higher milers without issue. I was considering a swap for a younger variant and they could have profited from that, but advised instead this one should be a keeper. Much overplayed in their opinion.

It's 3k to fix. Not much more than a major service with added bits

Wattie

Anyone know this Granturismo in North Yorks?

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...ranturismo-v8--------------------2008/7888745

I was looking for a 4200 but noticed this has been reduced. Still a bit outside my budget, but looks a nice car, well equipped with low mileage.

Wondered if it was someone on the forum.

Andy
Well if you’re interested in this I would suggest that the QP 4.7 GTS (SYTNER approved vehicle) discussed in another thread is a far more superior car for the money......the 4.2 GT IMO is a very very ordinary vehicle.

The QPGTS......fabulous, unique....special......not ordinary......and cheap as chips (unless it has something huge wrong with it......but that will be covered by a warranty I would think). at £26950.....mental!! !

Cheers Wattie

agooner

Well if you're interested in this I would suggest that the QP 4.7 GTS (SYTNER approved vehicle) discussed in another thread is a far more superior car for the money......the 4.2 GT IMO is a very very ordinary vehicle.

The QPGTS......fabulous, unique....special......not ordinary......and cheap as chips (unless it has something huge wrong with it......but that will be covered by a warranty I would think). at £26950.....mental!! !

Cheers Wattie

I wasn't really after a 4 door. I have a Lexus 400h which is just fine. Its old but reliable.

As I mention; was looking for a 4200 and simply saw the ad for the GT. I have pinged the seller, and see what the response is. I had set a budget for a 4200 with some extra for the mtce, servicing, unplanned bills, etc. The GT is an outsider, but no harm in enquiring.

Before I bought my 4.2 last year, I spoke to the service manager at the main dealer who'd serviced it from new. According to him, they'd never had to do a variator repair in the ten+ years he'd been there. If I recall correctly, the perceived wisdom here at the time was that with a higher mileage car, if the variators hadn't needed a repair by 60k+ ish then the car was likely in the clear.
The other prevalent comment here was that an often used, but fastidiously maintained car was preferable to a garage queen.
Coincidently, when I started buying Jeep Grand Cherokees, I heard nothing but horror stories about reliability. Nearly twenty years later, each has been more reliable than the last.
Same with the Granturismo. Some friends thought I was mad, when I bought it. But it's never put a foot wrong and puts a Cheshire cat grin on my chops, every time I turn the key.

Andyk

You know what is Mike....Maserati are not honouring any under warranty and pretending it isn't an issue Sorry couldn't resist it.

allandwf

Before I bought my 4.2 last year, I spoke to the service manager at the main dealer who'd serviced it from new. According to him, they'd never had to do a variator repair in the ten+ years he'd been there. If I recall correctly, the perceived wisdom here at the time was that with a higher mileage car, if the variators hadn't needed a repair by 60k+ ish then the car was likely in the clear.
The other prevalent comment here was that an often used, but fastidiously maintained car was preferable to a garage queen.
Coincidently, when I started buying Jeep Grand Cherokees, I heard nothing but horror stories about reliability. Nearly twenty years later, each has been more reliable than the last.
Same with the Granturismo. Some friends thought I was mad, when I bought it. But it's never put a foot wrong and puts a Cheshire cat grin on my chops, every time I turn the key.

That's forums for you. While being a great source of knowledge etc. They also seem to exaggerate the negative points. Understandably people post requiring assistance or guidance.

Andyk

All forums are the same.....You here more bad points than good as that's just the nature of forums. People come on to ask questions about stuff that may be goi wrong. Not often you get a thread saying no issues with my car today.........When I had an M3 it was subframe issues........and now with the v8 M3 its actuators.......but ask dealers and they say it ain't as bad as punters think.....But you pay your money and take the chance.

agooner

Pinged the seller. Owned for 18 mths, MOTd until June. Last service was June 17 at a cost of £1500. Advisory on MOT for oil leak, but it wasn’t there any more when taken back to be looked at. Uncertain of disc and pad wear. Tyres are P Zeros. All manufacturer recalls have been done. Car is based in Harrogate.