Decision Time: 4200 vs GS vs GT

D Walker

Have a look @ m1980k recent advert, wharts and all if it’s in your budget, it’s been inspected and you know what you are in to..

Jnismith

As someone who has both a 4.7 GTS MC-Shift and a GS, both of which do less than 3k miles a year, I'd say the GTS is the better sounding, more comfortable, more modern and more complete car, which (with the Sport button pressed) makes every journey an event. The GS, on the other hand, is more hardcore and sporty (though no faster).

If the budget is around £30k or below, it has to be a GS. But if you go to around £35k or above, then for me it would be the GTS.

Over the next few years the GTS is likely to depreciate a little, while the GS probably won't. I'd say running costs will be similar on both.

I'd buy from RG if you can. To have a car that's been properly inspected, serviced and warrantied is worth the little extra. That said, buying a well known car from the Club/Forum is also worth considering (subject to a PDI). But I'd be wary of cars being sold by non-maserati knowledgeable garages/people.

Thanks for the advice. I do intend to buy from within the forum/reputable dealers. Just seem to be more good cars than buyers at the moment

RobinL

So I have now test driven a 4200, 3 Gransports and today a 4.2 Auto Grantourismo. The 4200 (pre-facelift) was a bit of a dog. All the GS' were nice and I love the direct steering though the ride is pretty hard. But I just can't work out the Grantourismo. It was a 400 bhp Automatic but it didn't really feel that fast. My daily driver is a BMW 440i with the MPPSK pack which gives it 360 bhp and it feels way, way faster than the GT. Its also more comfortable. So to me the only thing going for the GT is the looks which you can't see from the inside of the car anyway. In fact you can't see the end of the bonnet at all which as the one I drove didn't have front sensors is going to be fun to park!

So it looks like a Gransport which was a **** of a lot of fun to drive and I've one more to look at tomorrow but I keep looking at the ads for the two RG has in Chester but they just seem a bit too dear. It's going to be fun making a decision though. Any thoughts would be welcome.
I have an immaculate 4200cc with 32k genuine miles and 10 months warranty which may go for sale when I get back to UK in 1st week of Feb :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Contigo

Sponsor
As someone who has both a 4.7 GTS MC-Shift and a GS, both of which do less than 3k miles a year, I'd say the GTS is the better sounding, more comfortable, more modern and more complete car, which (with the Sport button pressed) makes every journey an event. The GS, on the other hand, is more hardcore and sporty (though no faster).

If the budget is around £30k or below, it has to be a GS. But if you go to around £35k or above, then for me it would be the GTS.

Over the next few years the GTS is likely to depreciate a little, while the GS probably won't. I'd say running costs will be similar on both.

I'd buy from RG if you can. To have a car that's been properly inspected, serviced and warrantied is worth the little extra. That said, buying a well known car from the Club/Forum is also worth considering (subject to a PDI). But I'd be wary of cars being sold by non-maserati knowledgeable garages/people.

Absolutely spot on. The GTS is the more modern car, looks better and sounds better and turns way more heads, if none of those are important to you then get the GS. :D

Zep

Not sure the GTS has better fuel consumption. Or maybe it just the way I drive mine!
GS Steering is better, as mentioned because it's lighter.
As for speed, 0 to 60 the GS is quicker, in gear the GTS is quicker (probably the bigger engine), as well as top end.

As I said, very different cars. It's why I'd like both.

Trust me, Blu and I drove his car fully wound up to Le Mans last year and it was much more economical than mine in similar conditions. I haven't a frame of reference for 0-60 as I don't do launches in my car, but top end is the same, there was nothing between Blu and I, side by side at Bruntingthorpe up to 160 mph.

The weight of the steering isn't what I was talking about, it's the feel through the wheel as the grip of the tyres changes that I prefer.

As you say, horses for courses, I wouldn't be unhappy with either.

CatmanV2

I don’t do launches in my car, but top end is the same, there was nothing between Blu and I, side by side at Bruntingthorpe up to 160 mph.

Fibber! I've seen you launch down the Autostrada :D

Been flat out with 4200 / GS down Brunty as well. Nothing to choose though not at that speed. BTW I think we have a couple of bets that are about due aren't they? ;)

C

Jnismith

At 70 mph, all cars are doing the same speed. Sure its about how quickly you get there but it's also about the experience of sitting in the car, the driving position, and whether its a nice place to be. I absolutely adored my Ghibli with its wood trim and wooden steering wheel. It may have looked like a seventies Toyota from the outside but inside I was living the dream.

whereskeith

Having spent time on multiple long 4 hour journeys in both cars the GS seats are way more comfortable and in my view hold you in the seat better.. most of the other points I agree on with the GTS.

Absolutely spot on. The GTS is the more modern car, looks better and sounds better and turns way more heads, if none of those are important to you then get the GS. :D

Jnismith

So thanks to all for the advice. Hopefully have found the right GS and it’s going to be inspected next week. McGrath Maserati welcomed me back like an old friend and am delighted that Paul the modern car mechanic will do the inspection and hopefully look after it for me. Fingers crossed.