ABS unavailable MSP unavailable ASR unavailable - Go to dealer

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I'm getting an intermittent, then permanent, “ABS unavailable, MSP unavailable, ASR unavailable, go to dealer†message on the QP, and the forum tells me that this might be a dud battery (bought a new one in October), loose battery connection (maybe), or a bad ABS sensor in a wheel bearing in which case: give it a wipe (£), re-seat the connections (££), new sensor (£££), new bearing (££££).

(What the heck is ASR, anyway?)

I'm wondering if it is something to do with the car standing idle for 2 weeks over Xmas. When I first drove it there was a bit of a graunching noise which I took to be the parking brake binding. Now the parking brake does not always release automatically, and I'm running on 'Park Off' to avoid that. Presumably these problems are connected somehow.

It just might be battery-related, as the error messages seem to come up when starting from cold, but sometimes not when starting up to come home after a long run. But this is not so intermittent in the last few days - more all the time.

Also, I'm getting an intermittent parking sensor failure message, which surely is a separate issue, unless that is a further sign of a battery problem. Of course part of that problem is not knowing which one is dodgy.

So, what's the story on a battery reset - just disconnect for a while and then reconnect and hope everything comes back? It's in the boot somewhere, right?

Any additional suggestions?

CatmanV2

So, what's the story on a battery reset - just disconnect for a while and then reconnect and hope everything comes back? It's in the boot somewhere, right?

ASR=Anti Slip Regulation

I suspect just disconnecting the battery and having a cuppa will reset everything that can be. But I think the QP needs a code for the radio?

Sounds to me like two issues, though. Screwed ABS sensor and duff parking sensor

C

Mattp

I had that error a couple of days after I bought my QP - scared the muck out of me... it was a new battery... did a battery off overnight, came to the conclusion it was an abs sensor, then all by it's self the error went away and hasn't come back in over 1000 miles...

My parking sensors also do something similar... if it's been out in the rain, parking sensor failure, drive to dealer, but if it's had a few dry, warm nights they work perfectly!

Ebenezer

Feel for you Mark - but this is exactly what I had and it was the sensors in both front bearings.
New bearings I'm afraid

Eb

rockits

Funny this shimmy kind of thing. Every QP I have driven...only 3 btw...has felt not quite 100% right on an odd random occasion at the back end. Every now and again it seems a little unsettled or does something weird. I don't think it is the tyres as it happened on mine recently after the tyres were changed.

I can't put my finger on it & it doesn't happen often but certainly there is something that is not quite spot on. Not sure if it is surface changes or something else. Mind you my tyres have always been shot since I bought the car.

Just put on Conti Sport Contact 6's as believe it or not you can't get Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or 4S for the QP. I could have had the 4 on one axle & the 4S on the other but couldn't get a matched set of 4 in either tyre. I spoken to Michelin & they confirmed this was indeed correct.....weird.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Funny this shimmy kind of thing. Every QP I have driven...only 3 btw...has felt not quite 100% right on an odd random occasion at the back end.

I get it when one back wheel goes over a bump like a raised white line or a cat's eye, and then the back end seems to jerk to the side (by what feels like 5cm but is probably 0.5cm). So I'm thinking could be the MSP or ASR getting confused and doing something weird...... But I know nothing about this sort of thing.

rockits

This is definitely the sort of thing. Feels like the rear of the car skips over as you say. Happened the other day on the M25 at 70mph (obviously). As you say seemed to feel like it had jumped a foot but probably was much less. Doesn't happen often but has given the same feeling on all 3 QP's I've driven

Maybe down to geo setup or something else. Not felt this feeling on any other rwd car I've ever had or driven.

Contigo

Sponsor
Same on the GTS, wide section tyres going over a storm drain or white line means a change in traction and the rear end skips about. Change your tyres and it will improve, also wet and cold exacerbates the situation.

rockits

Good to know it seems across the board. It has only happened once on the new tyres & they were & are very new. I'll keep any eye on once they have worn in.

What tyres you got on your GTS Phil? It has never happened on the 4200 out of interest.

Ebenezer

Yes skipping happened to me until I got the geometry done.
I'm afraid it's a new bearing and do the geo
Eb

rockits

Yes skipping happened to me until I got the geometry done.
I'm afraid it's a new bearing and do the geo
Eb
You might be right with the geo Eb. Obviously the 4200 hasn't done many miles full stop & I had a full get done @ WIM/Blackboots when I got the rear tyres done.

The QP has never had it done in my ownership so might get that done when I get it serviced with AV later in the year.

Michael

I'm getting an intermittent, then permanent, “ABS unavailable, MSP unavailable, ASR unavailable, go to dealer†message on the QP, and the forum tells me that this might be a dud battery (bought a new one in October), loose battery connection (maybe), or a bad ABS sensor in a wheel bearing in which case: give it a wipe (£), re-seat the connections (££), new sensor (£££), new bearing (££££).

I'm wondering if it is something to do with the car standing idle for 2 weeks over Xmas. When I first drove it there was a bit of a graunching noise which I took to be the parking brake binding. Now the parking brake does not always release automatically, and I'm running on 'Park Off' to avoid that. Presumably these problems are connected somehow.

It just might be battery-related, as the error messages seem to come up when starting from cold, but sometimes not when starting up to come home after a long run. But this is not so intermittent in the last few days - more all the time.

Also, I'm getting an intermittent parking sensor failure message, which surely is a separate issue, unless that is a further sign of a battery problem. Of course part of that problem is not knowing which one is dodgy.

Any additional suggestions?

Mark,

It is very likely to be the ABS sensor on a wheel. I have just gone though this on my GT and here is the conversation that went with it

http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/showthread.php/25373-Airbag-Light-on-GT-4-2

I know it says airbag, but we drifted off onto ABS sensors.

Cheers.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Mine has NOT gone away. I did a battery disconnect and that has not magically fixed it. I guess it is a drive to Exeter and ££, £££ or ££££

Ebenezer

Yup. However with me it did go away for a short period and then I'd get the beeps and the Christmas lights
Eb

Jkulin

Mine started that last week, switched off then on again and it went, then whilst away at the weekend it did it a second time, someone mentioned that it was the abs sensor or bearing but will go one for ages then stay on.