Rattle noise

whereskeith

Hi all.
I wonder if anyone can help shed some light on a potential issue.
My GS was sat in car park ticking over in neutral when I noticed a rattle noise coming from underneath the car near the rear of the engine to the secondary cats.
It didn't change with a higher idle.
Turned engine off and after re-start it was gone and did not return on the very short drive back home.
It was not a tinny sound, I have recorded it on what's ap and sent over to garage for their opinion.
I can happily what's app the recording over to anyone. Hopefully it's not a cat conv.
What else is located at the rear on the engine ?

conaero

Forum Owner
Totally normal and yes I panicked when I first heard it on my GS

In neutral when running the clutch thrust bearing is primed for quick engagement. After a certain amount of time idling it fully releases and that’s the rattle your hearing.

Totally normal.

whereskeith

Thanks, hopefully that’s exactly what it is

In neutral when running the clutch thrust bearing is primed for quick engagement. After a certain amount of time idling it fully releases and that’s the rattle your hearing.

Totally normal.

whereskeith

My mechanic just called me and explained in detail the sound you describe. He said defo not the noise you describe.

Totally normal.

conaero

Forum Owner
The fact it started once idling for a certain period and disappeared on restart I am pretty convinced but I have not heard it.

Do it again and see if it returns after 5 mins of idling to prove it.

The other sounds you get are the rattling dual skinned manifolds but that is present on cold start and disappears are the car warms up.

Cats it could be but on instant restart after the noise appears and it disappears would make it highly unlikely.

Do some more testing to replicate and report back.