Eyes

DavidL

Thought I’d pitch in here since it’s what I do all day, just a bit late to the party.
If you just need reading glasses then frankly that’s your best option in the first instance. The only issue is that if you look up you can’t see so multitasking is hard. In that instance a varifocal is your best option, not to try and improve your distance but rather not to make it worse.
It’s useful if you spend a lot of time in meetings/presentations etc but you would still treat them as your reading glasses.
Laser isn’t really useful in this instance as 99% are single vision corrections. In theory you could be lasered to allow you to read but then you’d need distance glasses!
There are some multifocal laser (and cataract/lens extraction) options. Ultimately this is where it will go but I’d argue not yet. My experience is that whilst you’ll probably manage both distance and reading without glasses your best vision won’t be as good as it could have been. Most importantly, its then very difficult to over correct with glasses afterwards, or later in time as things change, which they will gradually.
Tellingly I read an Ophthalmology paper recently about multifocal intraocular lenses and 75% of it was about patient selection. If you like sharp vision don’t do this. But it has to get better as it evolves.
Contact lenses are a similar principle but less permanent. You will always get better acuity of vision (versus soft lenses) with spectacles but often the advantages of no frame etc outweigh this. If I have 4 patients who have exactly the same needs and prescription, with soft multifocal lenses 1 will love it, great vsion across the board. The next 2 will be ok but aware they can get or have had sharper vision but that the flexibility wins through. The fourth will just say they can’t see a thing. Often we can prove them wrong but they are clearly very uncomfortable with that type of vision. The reason for this is how the lenses are designed and how an individual’s brain interprets this. There are several different designs of soft multifocal lenses as well as monovision (one eye for dist and the other for reading) so even if you have tried one doesn’t mean it isn’t worth trying again. I often have a dozen lenses in for a patient and have them around town for a couple of hours trying different combinations before sending them away with whatever seems best.
I won’t comment on online sales. It’s a fact of life so you must weigh up the pros and cons and make your own decisions.
I think I’ve spotted one customer on this very thread so I must be doing something vaguely right.
Hope this has been of some use.
David

Trev Latter

Thanks for that post David. I’m just about due for an eye test and was considering trying verifical contacts, but having read your post, I may have a rethink on the trial and just stick to my glasses.

DavidL

Thanks for that post David. I’m just about due for an eye test and was considering trying verifical contacts, but having read your post, I may have a rethink on the trial and just stick to my glasses.
I wouldn't give in quite so easily. Motivation is a huge factor but they are well worth trying whether its dailes or monthlies. Maybe I came across a little pessimistic but I do have lots of people who wear them very happily. Well worth a try at the very least.

conaero

Forum Owner
Thanks David...straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

I will take your advise and book an eye test with the view (no pun intended) to use reading glasses at the correct strength for now and take it from there.

montravia

Thanks David...straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

I will take your advise and book an eye test with the view (no pun intended) to use reading glasses at the correct strength for now and take it from there.

Do please, Matt, avoid High Street chains. The diagnostic equipment may appear impressive but....

Ping me offline if you'd like expansion or call me

hodroyd

Had reading glasses for a few years now, but fed up of having to get the specs out every 2 minutes, so looking at either laser corrective surgery, or lens replacement..!!
The issue is if you have laser surgery, I think it does one vision perfectly, such as long, but not short vision as well if that's what required..!! I have had 2 appointments with vision express for an exam to see if they can do the work, but they wanted my full medical history before they would tell me, so I walked out even after they promised to only ask about eye related matters..!! Now looking for somewhere else and considering Eastern Block, fancy a club quantity discount deal..??

dem maser

Im booked in for laser eye surgery so I’ll let you know how it goes next week

Paid a deposit last year when I was working and when I lost my job they wouldn’t refund it only postpone the surgery so finally i agreed to do it
24 months 0% works for me

GeoffCapes

Paid a deposit last year when I was working and when I lost my job they wouldn’t refund it only postpone the surgery so finally i agreed to do it

Who was that with?

hodroyd

Tip for when in a restaurant when you've forgotten your glasses. Use your phone to take a picture of the menu, then expand to a readable size. Fractionally less embarrassing than having the waiter read it all out load.

Hahahahaha, what a good idea..!!!!

hodroyd

What are you having done exactly Dem..??

dem maser

What are you having done exactly Dem..??

Laser eye treatment as I can’t be arsed with glasses then contacts then glasses again throughout the day
I plan on kicking on health and fitness this year and glasses are a pain with swimming and sauna etc and also it’ll be nice to be on holiday and not worried I may loose my lens

Zep

I had laser treatment with Optimax in 2006 for shortsightedness. Due to the thickness of my cornea I had to have epi-lasik. It was bloody painful but I have had tip top vision for more than a decade and it is now undetectable under and eye exam.

I'd recommend it to anyone but just remember that the recovery periods they quote are optimistic.

Needamaser

Vision went wrong when I was 8 and had measles.
Needed glasses for distance. Went onto hard lenses when I was 15.
Since then gone onto soft lenses and then needed glasses for reading when I went into my 50's.
Tried variofocal glasses and lenses which didnt work for me. Considered laser treatment but optician put me off. Had monthly/weekly and daily lenses at various points. Biggest hassle with lenses was swimming and risk of losing a lens.
Then last year was diagnosed with cataracts. Since then both eyes done to remove cataracts and I have better than 20/20 vision in both eyes. Still need reading glasses.
Things to bear in mind are if you have laser surgery you will hopefully have good sight for a few years but it will degrade and you are looking at further surgery which is much more complicated or glasses anyway.
Second thing is if you then develop cataracts (and chances are you will at some point) surgery is a lot more complicated because you have had laser treatment.
There was a woman in for cataracts at same time I was in and she had already had laser treatment and surgeon told her the chance of good vision was a lot less likely after surgery.
Treatment and technology is improving all the time. Variofocal implants being tried now with cataracts but still at development stage.
Speak to a optician who has no vested interest in surgery if you dont need it. As said before every surgical procedure carries a risk.