4.2 Standard GT, adding exhaust valves

montravia

I'm happy with my GT.

It's a 4.2, and I've decided to keep her.
She doesn't however have exhaust valves, and therefore not quite as spectator head snapping in terms of sound.

I've read all of the http://www.sportsmaserati.com/showt...ication-Guilde?highlight=exhaust+modification

I'm not sure that I really want hooligan rasps and pops, but would appreciate a little.

We use her quite regularly, and often long trips, in the UK and probably do another trans-France grand tour this year. She's nice at quite burbling along. Don't want any intrusive drone or rasp.

I'd just like her a little more assertive in Sports or above 3,500 revs. The power's fine.

I've seen that Larini do a valve kit for the 'standard' 4.2 https://www.larinisystems.com/colle...larini-auto-valve-control-remote-exhaust-kits about £400.

Would I be disappointed? Would it sound more like an 'S'? I'm cautious about going full hooligan, it's not me, and I'm not sure that the Kazzoo sits comfortably with the image of the GT. Sorry chaps my taste only. Prefer the sonorous howl, with perhaps a rasp on the over-run.

Again, an insurance mod notification?

Anyone done this, or anyone nearby to compare? (Gloucestershire, Cheltenham-ish)

ofenomeno99

When I had my 4.2 I changed my exhaust to the Oval MC Sports exhaust and it was LOUD (Beautiful) - all the time - but the solution is to install the formula dynamics valve control.

CatmanV2

Just get a set of valved boxes. All the sound of the GTS and 4.7. It's quite loud in open mode, but certainly nothing like hugely offensive.

In closed mode, it'll sound the same as it does now

You'll need something to control the valves

C

montravia

When I had my 4.2 I changed my exhaust to the Oval MC Sports exhaust and it was LOUD (Beautiful) - all the time - but the solution is to install the formula dynamics valve control.

Thanks ofenomeno,

That'd be the sports exhaust now retailing $2,554? and the control valve for $250?

montravia

Thanks ofenomeno,

That'd be the sports exhaust now retailing $2,554? and the control valve for $250?

montravia

Thanks ofenomeno,

Thanks Catman.

The Larini control system I pointed to implies that it's for 4.2's which don't have valved systems, so I assumed that that was all that was required, and that the existing boxes were mod'd.
https://www.larinisystems.com/collection/maserati/granturismo-4.2

"LARINI 'AUTO' VALVE CONTROL & REMOTE EXHAUST KITS - MASERATI GRANTURISMO 4.2
Three Kits Supplied Together
REQUIRED - Valve & Remote Control Kit Supplied For Vehicles Not Equipped With Exhaust Valves As Standard
For vehicles without exhaust valves as standard - the valves in a Larini 'Valve Control' Exhaust System will open and shut, and function, via the Larini pneumatic feed pipes.

You will be able to have the valves opening and shutting automatically with throttle at circa 3500 rpm (for example), as well as having an override remote to allow you to have the valves permanently open, or reverting back to the 3500 rpm cross open point functionality. Kit comes with all parts, instructions, and remote control.

The additional valve remote module kit, once installed, will allow the driver to remote activate the valves so they either a) stay 'OPEN' always or b) revert to 'AUTO' open and shut under a pre-determined rpm load via throttle input. (Please Note: We do not recommend driving at full throttle with the valves permanently shut, as this will provide a restriction to gas outflow). ""

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that's only half of it, I'd need:-

"Larini 'Club Sport' Rear Boxes (Diamond Black QUAD Tips) with Valve Control
https://www.larinisystems.com/colle...ts-exhaust-rear-boxes-diamond-black-oval-tips
"

Which for the preferred 4 exit version is £2085.95

Bu55er that.

I do wish that site descriptions were more explicit if that's the case.

That's ridiculous, cf Benny's full changed out system for a few hundred quid.

Surely I can bash a couple of 'oles in my boxes, get a couple of solenoid actuated valves linked to the vacuum system and sport button and use the existing boxes. I know exhausts is a black art, but it ain't quantum mechanics.

Surely someone's done this. Didn't you, Catman, or are valved boxes sourced at a keener price?

CatmanV2

I got mine from ebay at a pretty reasonable price (for certain values of reasonable that Mrs Catman, for example, wouldn't agree with) They are GTS rears.

I'm sure you could mod the boxes. Either a straight bypass or a copy of the valved boxes where basically the loud side is straight through the rear box.

You can get an idea from this listing, but as with everything he sells the cost is horrific
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASERATI-...145382&hash=item25e5765d69:g:n7cAAOSwXPNZ~I6A

I thought Matt was working on something similar for the GT but it's clearly not impossible

If you keep an eye on ebay you might get some at <£1000

C

CatmanV2

That's great, C.

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out. At least I'm clear now

No worries. If you find some, it's worth making sure the seller confirms the valves and actuators move freely. Although it might be worth just replacing them before fitting them anyway....

C

safrane

Eurospares have broken a couple of 4.2s in the past and I also note they have new 4.7 s rear exhaust for less than a grand a side