Wireless OBD diagnostic?

I had an Amazon special Autel diagnostic (£15.00 or so) for use on my Kangoo and QPV and it worked no problem at identifying and clearing any spurious alarms.
I have now given this to my son for his Alfa and it still is working.

2a.jpg

I would like a replacement and have been trawling the interweb for options.
I have a Utopian image of a small diagnostic which could be wireless linked to my Windows 'phone which also has Bluetooth (I do not know what these things are!) that I could read any errors on. The diagnostic would not be plugged in permanently.
So I would need the wireless diagnostic tool itself and a suitable (free) app on my 'phone and I am now confused with the myriad of choices and jargon. I also do not wish to pay an extortionate amount for something that is 'a look see and clear' gizmo.
Any ideas troops?
Thanks

Trev Latter

If it's for the Alfa, Multiecuscan (paid version) is well worth the money on a laptop. I've been using it for years on both my old 159 and the current Giulietta. With the adaptor leads (cheap off ebay) it covers a LOT more than a basic old scanner. It'll work with the wifi interface as mentioned above.

wink

Dash Command app works fine on iPhone with a wifi OBD II dongle. similar to the one suggested above. For Android phones you need a bluetooth OBDII dongle and the Android version of the Dash Command app. Not sure if there is a Windows phone version. App wasn't free but only a few quid - total cost for app and dongle was around £20.

alfatwo

Dave, Those Chrysler based Alfa's you son has, are they any good?

Just wondered, as a mate of mine is thinking of buying one, its a 2010 so its fairly old now

Dave

Yes mate
He loves it. It is a bit hairdresser for me - but I am old.
Andrew has had no bother with it apart from the spurious engine warning light which turns out to be nothing
(where have I heard that before?). It goes like stink (2.2L), is well put together and looks nice inside and out.
I am tall too and that could be a problem with the hood up or down! No wigs you see. He has had it 6 months now and is his second car. The first was a Punto banger which he also liked. Insurance was a bit steep as he is young. No regrets

Mattp

I have a Toughbook and a bluetooth Delphi diagnostics kit for my diagnostic needs - doesn't work on the Maser, bar the basic, but on pretty much every other car can interrogate all the modules and produce nice reports and stuff... One of the nice features is the option to operate pretty much any function of the car remotely - if viewing a car I can stand behind it and trigger the brake lights for instance - or if I'm being picky - the RH side aircon mixing actuator!

The Issue you will have will be the windows phone - I am a huge fan of them, but app support for OBD stuff is near non-existent

Something like this interface would do the job. I have a similar one that i use with my fruit based mobile device. One advantage is that it also communicates in KWP2000, so is also compatible with 3200s. App/software wise, I'm not sure what's available for Windows phones these days, but any obd software will do the job. I used this one when I had a windows phone a while back and it worked ok.

Did exactly this on the old Renault and it worked a dream many thanks Trev (and others)

allandwf

Dave, Those Chrysler based Alfa's you son has, are they any good?

Just wondered, as a mate of mine is thinking of buying one, its a 2010 so its fairly old now

Dave

Mrs allandwf has a 3.2 Q4 Brera as her daily, loves it. I think it's approaching 120k miles now. It's a 2008.