Road trip to Scotland

CiaranONeill

Decisions decisions!! I'm planning a very short road trip to Ben Nevis in June.
I have to decide
a/ Do I take the Mitsubishi Outlander Plug in Hybrid with loads of room for gear, great comfort and 45mpg (and smile when I see the fuel bill)
or
b/ Do I take the 3200 with less room and 15mpg (smile constantly for 4 hours each way)
Mmm I wonder what you will all think!

Panicracing

We are doing the NC500 this year and same here, other half want to do it in the E63 AMG, me the Gransport, go with heart and not your head. Last time we were in the highlands I was in my XC90. Boring as f**k.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

RoaryRati

We've gone to Inverness a couple of times - not sure which route but one of the most fantastic roads (possibly A9) has a 50mph speed limit on it and speed cameras - criminal

Corranga

Your location says Lurgan, so assuming you're there and coming over on the ferry, you can set out a pretty decent route to Ben Nevis (rather than up the motorway to Glasgow, if you were coming from Englandshire)
Once you make it to Ben Nevis, the roads just keep getting better as you go north though ;)

We've gone to Inverness a couple of times - not sure which route but one of the most fantastic roads (possibly A9) has a 50mph speed limit on it and speed cameras - criminal

The A9 is one of the most dangerous roads in the country, so they say, though they then seem to delay and delay making it 2 lanes... There are better routes anyway, though I appreciate it gets better as you get further north.

davy83

Yes avoid the A9 and use the little roads out west, you are not in a hurry! once you get to Inverness the roads are great. Ben Nevis and around Fort William, there are some good roads too. The only thing that might spoil the 3200 experience would be a lot of snow, otherwise, i have had many trips out around west and north of Scotland and the 3200 was awesome, the best driving i have ever experienced, its the right car in the right place.

zagatoes30

A9 is a pot holed **** street, stay away.

But there are some great roads around Ben Nevis so search them out and take the Maser

Needamaser

Yes avoid the A9 and use the little roads out west, you are not in a hurry! once you get to Inverness the roads are great. Ben Nevis and around Fort William, there are some good roads too. The only thing that might spoil the 3200 experience would be a lot of snow.
Snow in June???
Presume you are coming from Stranraer or thereabouts in which case stick with the West and go up the A82 in the 3200.

D Walker

I did the NC 500 couple of years ago in the 4200, my advice is to go anywhere to not use the A9; as the guys have said above, stick to the West side or maya be get to the northern point and head south through the centre..

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Drove down the A82 through Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park a couple of weeks ago from Loch Ness, stunning drive.

MrMickS

Heading up that way later in the year with a finish at Inveraray Castle at the beginning of June.

davy83

Was up glen Muick on Friday, great drive up and great weather, just thought I would share this photo!

P1160788.jpg

CiaranONeill

So I decided to take the Outlander Hybrid on the trip... only joking! Looking forward to taking the 3200.