How do I disconnect the battery?

Hi Mark.
On my 07 QP the -ive lead on the terminal is quite short and the +ive lead is quite long.
So I suggest (and I have done this) you disconnect the -ive with an ordinary spanner (mine has a T piece arrangement on it which I did not use - I took the whole clamp off) and tuck the lead away in the recess.
Then slide the battery (you may have a retaining clamp to be slackened off too) toward the rear of the car in order to get access to the +ive terminal. Again remove the whole clamp and mine has a plastic tray with about 6 terminals on it which comes away with the clamp. This longer lead can be placed somewhere safe. The battery is now disconnected, but if you want to remove it then there is a lip on the entry to the recess which is fragile. So I put an old shower curtain on the boot floor and a telephone yellow pages on that. The battery can then be lifted (it is heavy) over the lip onto the directory and the shower curtain allows you to slide it to a convenient position.
Hope this helps

rockits

As C says Mark just disconnect the negative & that is all you need. You will get a tiny spark when connecting back up but this is normal & nothing to worry about. It is not dangerous.

Make sure you tighten backup up the negative terminal enough so it is not loose & can't move around the post but don't go too mental as you can overtighten.

rockits

Forgot to say on time I normally disconnect mine late PM/evening & leave overnight but I'm sure it won't need that long. Normally long enough for any cached power to drain out of any capacitors and the like wow be enough. I don't know for sure but guessing 30-60 mins would be enough. Always done mine overnight when required.

Wanderer

Does one unbolt the bolto on the post itself (looks hard) or can one unbolt it top section off the bit that connects to the section on the post (looks easy) if that makes any sense? A picture paints a thousand words, here's hoping it's the right way up..

batt2.jpg

That picture is more or less the same as my assembly.
I undid the whole shebang using a socket to leave the post in all its glory. It was not too difficult.
I suppose it depends what your aim is

Wanderer

That picture is more or less the same as my assembly.
I undid the whole shebang using a socket to leave the post in all its glory. It was not too difficult.
I suppose it depends what your aim is

Looks difficult to get a socket on the right hand nut (ooo-errr)....

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Mine is not like that. It looks like this:

Battery 1.jpg

...and I have neither the tools nor the skills to get in the little space behind and get the nut off the back of the negative terminal connector.

I had a quick go at just removing the whole battery to get at the nut, but that turns out to be a highly skilled job as well.

Then I thought of just undoing the other end of the negative cable, where it is attached to the car:

Battery 2.jpg

but I was put off by the red paint mark, which is suggestive of a precise amount or torque needed (seems unlikely) or just a generalized warning (perhaps of the bottom nut falling somewhere inaccessible).

I guess I will have to go to the local garage and get them to do it...

midlifecrisis

Just undo the red marked bolt. The red mark is only a quality check. Or better still undo the bolt on the negative terminal, it won't give you a shock.

Silvercat

I had exactly the same problem on my 2009 Quattraporte S 4.7 in December 2017 and was advised it could be the battery and / or the front wheel Abs sensor. I opted for a new battery at £283 but the warning lights have stayed on. To replace the sensor requires the hub to be replaced at c £1000 fully fitted. Fortunately they don't need replacing in pairs....thankfully!

montravia

I had exactly the same problem on my 2009 Quattraporte S 4.7 in December 2017 and was advised it could be the battery and / or the front wheel Abs sensor. I opted for a new battery at £283 but the warning lights have stayed on. To replace the sensor requires the hub to be replaced at c £1000 fully fitted. Fortunately they don't need replacing in pairs....thankfully!

I don't think mine cost that much (GT) @ DL. I think it was about £600, but I'll check.

Michael

Budget around £1,100 from the main dealer for part and labour. I've replaced 2 of them, both passenger side in the past 1000 miles at an MD. In future, I'll buy the part from Meridien with the 10% discount and get an indy to fit.