Keyless go, keyless gone more like!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
One of our Directors got his Mercedes stolen over the weekend, all on CCTV.
Guy with laptop walks up to house front door, seconds later a second guy opens the drivers door, jumps in, and drives off!
Apparently guy with laptop gets within range of the car key inside the house, then somehow scans the key, and relays to the car outside unlocking it.
I've heard about this, but actually knowing someone this has happened too all recorded on CCTV is something else.
He wasn't even at his own home, he was visiting his dads!!

ChrisH

Wow. Sounds like Gone in Sixty Seconds!

Must have been a planned targeted theft. What Merc was it?

alfatwo

Another reason to buy an older car without all that nonsense then Mike..

They wouldn't of nicked your old 4200 without putting the window in and then spending half an hour trying to break the steering lock..by then they would have given up!

Dave

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Another reason to buy an older car without all that nonsense then Mike..

They wouldn't of nicked your old 4200 without putting the window in and then spending half an hour trying to break the steering lock..by then they would have given up!

Dave

Less of the old, thought that applied to old 3200's only!!

Scaf

Since this technique has been public knowledge I have kept the key to my new XJ in my kitchen so they can’t reach the signal and bounce the code to the car.
I have heard of someone losing a Range Rover from outside the restaurant they were eating in.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I haven't got the Maser on classic car insurance, but it is agreed value though.
Stag insurance is super cheap, again agreed value, unlimited mileage, £150 a year, and no mot or car tax either!!

allandwf

There has been a video of this very act doing the rounds for the last few months. Maybe there should be a way the key switches itself off or is not viable if no motion is detected, or something along those lines.

Yes something similar in my area too. Thieves managed to unlock many cars parked on the road and stole what had been left inside the vehicle. They were really after paperwork that may have contained bank details etc but were not averse to pinching trainers etc

MrMickS

I turned off the keyless entry on the Ghibli after seeing the earlier videos. Its not something I used often, I prefer to press the button on the key fob.

CatmanV2

I turned off the keyless entry on the Ghibli after seeing the earlier videos. Its not something I used often, I prefer to press the button on the key fob.

Depending on how it's implemented I can see a case where that might not make any difference....

C

namaste

My sister and her partner put their car keys in something called a faraday bag for this reason. I laughed when I originally saw them hanging up, (as my car was being driven off by a nerd with a laptop). But seriously, seems like they have a purpose afterall.

Michael

MrMickS

Depending on how it's implemented I can see a case where that might not make any difference....

C

Pray tell?

AFAIK this works because keyless entry is enabled and the devices used by the crooks relay the signal between the car and the key. The keyless entry on the Ghibli is triggered by trying to open the door, by pulling the handle, when the door is locked. At this point it appears to check that the key is present and unlock if it is. With it switched off in the menu this is no longer works.

That said I don't think it would prevent the side window being smashed, door unlocked, and the keyless start being triggered by a device inside the car relaying the signal to the one near the keys. That eventuality should be catered for by the tracker token not being present when the ignition is started.

CatmanV2

in wouldn't be surprised if you can't trick the car into looking for keyless entry anway. Given the typical level of coding ability in industry and the level of communication I suspect the laptop will already be doing with the car.

C