Newbie in the East Midlands

Phil B

Hello,

I got my first Maserati (hopefully not the last) on Friday and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. :beauty:

I was going for the Granturismo, and looked at some superb 2007/8 models. However, since I already have a quick car (2007 Shelby GT500 Mustang), in the end I opted for a 2015 Ghibli in Rosso Folgore, with dark grey interior. The opposite end of motoring to the GT500. For a comparison, think of a Ghibli Shaolin Kung Fu monk compared with the Mustang heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson.

Anyway, advice and recommendations on maintenance and upkeep will be welcome.

Phill

YKejUuj.jpg

SfY7aWF.jpg

Phil B

Andy,

Thanks for the welcome.

The Mustang was modified by the previous owner (and a little by me). Out of the factory at 500bhp (engine, not rear wheel). Now Just under 600bhp and 544 ft.lbs torque. 0 - 60 around 4.2, if I can keep the front pointing forwards. Wheel spin in second at 25mph without slipping the clutch, so it needs massive care with the right foot and in the wet, I could get around town faster in a Focus.

However, if I drive it like Miss Daisy's chauffeur, it does maybe 16mpg (US), (19mpg UK) round town and 26mpg US (31mpg UK) on a run. Driven enthusiastically, I get half that. The Ghibli, when I drove it home from the showroom, got around 51mpg UK on the M6. Not tried the mpg in Sport Mode yet though.

I know which will be the 'daily' .............. :happy2:

Phill

Phil B

Welcome Italian stallion and American mustang different but both enjoyable

zagatoes30,

Many thanks.

Strangely, I understand that my name means "Lover of horses" (careful with that one). I suppose a Ferrari ought to be the next one.

Phill

Gp79

Welcome, did we meet at Ibstock - Geoff Fowkes the other week?

Remember your / a GT500 and chat about Maserati.

MrMickS

Welcome. Always good to see another Ghibli owner around here. Love the colour.

Advice on maintenance would be to make sure that its been to an MD before the 3 year warranty runs out to make sure that you get any niggles fixed before you have to pay for them. Other than that just enjoy driving it. After almost 2 years and 40k miles I still get a smile whenever I get in and start the engine :D

Phil B

MrMickS,

Thanks for that.

It has two full services by Graypaul Nottingham, at December year one and December year two (i.e. last year). Warranty runs out in March, but has another six month full guarantee from the dealer as part of the sale - Maserati Extended Warranty.

I'm glad to hear that the pleasure of driving it hasn't faded!

Phill

Oldgrognard

Welcome !

I’m another newbie. Since I’ve joined a month ago I’ve put 1,180 trouble free miles on my GranSport Spyder.

Wattie

I’d be checking the front suspension strut mounts in the engine bay after what I read here!
Enjoy the car, unusual colour.
Cheers Wattie

Scootadad

Hi and welcome
Nice looking motor's, not sure about the Ghibli yet, maybe need to see one close up but hey it's a Maserati and that's sure to bring a big smile

Phil B

Gp79

Many apologies about the delayed reply. My mother died mid February and I've been doing a lot of cleaning, tidying, legal stuff, etc.

Yep, I was at Geoff Fowkes having some spacers fitted to my GT500, since the new wheels were too close to the big caliper Brembos.

Do you go to any meets or the like? Are there any in our area? I run the Midlands Mustangs Facebook Group, so I have a lot more to do with them than I do with Maserati.

Phill

Phil B

Welcome !

I'm another newbie. Since I've joined a month ago I've put 1,180 trouble free miles on my GranSport Spyder.

Thanks for the welcome.

I've been trying out the ICE and Sport modes. Mixed urban/dual carriageway I seem to be getting around 37mpg in standard mode, maybe 39/40 in ICE and 32 in Sport. For that amount of difference, I'm inclined to run it in Sport all the time.

Phil B

I'd be checking the front suspension strut mounts in the engine bay after what I read here!
Enjoy the car, unusual colour.
Cheers Wattie

Wattie -

Yes, it is an unusual colour, used mainly for the Quattroporte I think.

I've not checked the struts yet, but I understand there can be a problem with them. Better do it before the manufacturer's warranty runs out ...

Phill

Phil B

Ooooh, you don't want to do that. Unless there's actually snow that is :)

C

Ha, ha.

Anyway, why not? I really don't want to be in the situation of trying anything out for the first time when it's really, really needed. :f7:

Having spent some years on a Honda Fireblade 1000RR, the first thing I did when I got it (new, in 2014) was to go out and try an emergency stop from 30 in the rain to see how the ABS performed. It was astonishing - just stopped. No sliding, no back wheel becoming the front wheel....

Phill

CatmanV2

Ha, ha.

Anyway, why not? I really don't want to be in the situation of trying anything out for the first time when it's really, really needed. :f7:

Cos it's rubbish. Or at least if it's anything like the one on the 4200. You raise a fair point, though.

C

CatmanV2

Ha, ha.

Cos it's rubbish. Or at least if it's anything like the one on the 4200. You raise a fair point, though.

C