Alarm Problem on my 4200

PaulCambio

Paul, open the boot, remove the access panel on the left side of the boot, stick your hand in and up toward the wheel arch, my 4200 had the tracker battery originally taped to the arch but the sticky had given up long before my tenure and it was simply dangling from the cables in there! It is a gel/sealed battery about 200 x 120 x 60mm. I believe most of them were fitted with NAV-TRAC units when new in the UK, some had a fob, others didn't.

As others have said, they will come out and service/remove it for you now.

Just had a look in the boot. Can't feel anything up there, but the CD multiplay unit is in the way, so it could be I guess.

Update - I've just spoken to Nav Trac, and they tell me my car has never had an active tracker account with them.

I also spoke to the original dealer who supplied the car in 2003. They tell me it didn't have a tracker fitted (the claimed no 4200's did - so think they are wrong based on other posts I've read). The car is being towed to Emblem today, so will update the issues as and when they find out.

Last edited:

2b1ask1

Special case
That is interesting Paul; it is usually the go-to for rapidly flattening batteries, it could just be your battery is pooped!

PaulCambio

Turns out that my battery was totally dead, and the alarm control box became de-programmed. It had to be removed and sent away for reprogramming. A new battery too, and all works fine again now - for the moment of course!

PaulCambio

UPDATE

Took the car to an auto electrician, and they have traced the battery drain to the amplifier, telling me that it does not shut down when the ignition is turned off.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there an easy fix?

CatmanV2

UPDATE

Took the car to an auto electrician, and they have traced the battery drain to the amplifier, telling me that it does not shut down when the ignition is turned off.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there an easy fix?

Well the easy fix is take the amp out....

C

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Are they sure it’s the amp; it’s usually the tracker that drains the battery.

safrane

Is this the ASK amp that is part of the auditorium option?

If so it is easy to bi-pass; the option uses the same wiring loom and has male and female connections that means you can unplug the amp main wires and fit them back together bypassing the amp. You can then take oit the fuse located next to the green multi plug and you are sorted.

PaulCambio

Is this the ASK amp that is part of the auditorium option?

If so it is easy to bi-pass; the option uses the same wiring loom and has male and female connections that means you can unplug the amp main wires and fit them back together bypassing the amp. You can then take oit the fuse located next to the green multi plug and you are sorted.

Yep. The auto electrician spoke to Emblem, and that's what they told him to do. All sorted now I hope.

giorgio01

OK so if all the above fails, we can talk about using the the working blue key to pair the other key to the car :D

C
Hello,
I have exactly the same problem with my keys, one with working buttons and one where the buttons don't do anything. With the "not working" key I can lock and unlock the car manually by inserting the key in the barrel as well as I can start the engine. My question is how I can pair the second key to operate the alarm?

CatmanV2

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem with my keys, one with working buttons and one where the buttons don't do anything. With the "not working" key I can lock and unlock the car manually by inserting the key in the barrel as well as I can start the engine. My question is how I can pair the second key to operate the alarm?

It depends if the buttons are actually physically working or not, so let's assume they are and that you have a new battery in the key (DON'T lose the transponder chip when you change the battery!)

1. See if they key is out of synch. With the non-working key stand close to the car and double press the unlock button. Try it a couple of times. See if that brings things back to normal. If not...
  2. With working key, unlock and disarm car.
  3. Sit in driver's seat and close door
  4. Repeated lock and un-lock the car using the working remote. Observe the LED on the dash board.
  5. After about 7 cycles the LED will start to flash a lot more rapidly, indicating the central locking is in learning mode.
  6. Press the button on each of the remotes in turn (Unlock I think). This should pair them to the central locking.
  7. Exit car. You can just get out. Shut door and test.

All this is from memory though. I know it works if you get it right but I can't quite recall if you press the 'lock' button or the 'unlock' button to pair them. Also not sure about exiting learning mode. Pretty sure it drops out after a few seconds anyway. In any event, the process is not hard as I did it myself.

HTH

C

giorgio01

It depends if the buttons are actually physically working or not, so let's assume they are and that you have a new battery in the key (DON'T lose the transponder chip when you change the battery!)

1. See if they key is out of synch. With the non-working key stand close to the car and double press the unlock button. Try it a couple of times. See if that brings things back to normal. If not...
  4. Repeated lock and un-lock the car using the working remote. Observe the LED on the dash board.
  5. After about 7 cycles the LED will start to flash a lot more rapidly, indicating the central locking is in learning mode.
  6. Press the button on each of the remotes in turn (Unlock I think). This should pair them to the central locking.

All this is from memory though. I know it works if you get it right but I can't quite recall if you press the 'lock' button or the 'unlock' button to pair them. Also not sure about exiting learning mode. Pretty sure it drops out after a few seconds anyway. In any event, the process is not hard as I did it myself.

HTH

C
Thanks for that I'll try. There's on more thing, would you happen to kno what it means if the alarm beeps a few times within 20-30 seconds from locking the car and the same few beeps straight after unlocking?

giorgio01

HTH

C
In your point 6. do I press it simultaneously on both keys or good one first for example?

CatmanV2

In your point 6. do I press it simultaneously on both keys or good one first for example?

One at a time. Don't think it matters what order, but try good first

Thanks for that I'll try. There's on more thing, would you happen to kno what it means if the alarm beeps a few times within 20-30 seconds from locking the car and the same few beeps straight after unlocking?

It's not happy about something. Possibly a sensor like the boot or bonnet, or possibly one of the interior sensors is de-activated. It should be in the manual I think. I have an electronic copy if you don't

C

giorgio01

One at a time. Don't think it matters what order, but try good first

It's not happy about something. Possibly a sensor like the boot or bonnet, or possibly one of the interior sensors is de-activated. It should be in the manual I think. I have an electronic copy if you don't

C
Are the ones (sensors)in the A pillars the only ones inside the car?

giorgio01

HTH

C
Thank you, both keys working now. Another problem solved.