New Member here!

Rick1008

Hi Gents,

After owning numerous M3's and other German marques, I have finally taken the plunge on my first Italian Stallion!
A 2004 4200 coupe, Cambiocorsa, Alfieri Grey, Nero Leather.

A few question's that i have:

1) How does one perform a hill start and do I have to put the car into neutral everytime i stop in traffic?
2) When parking on a slope, do i leave the car in 1st gear?
3) If the heater doesnt work, does it always mean the heater matrix is dead, or can it be a as simple as a fuse, loose connection?

Thank you in Advance
Rick

Zep

Welcome Rick - an excellent choice of steed!

To answer your questions:

1) The ABS system has a hill hold system which delays the release of the brakes for a short period which varies depending on the angle the car is sat at. The clutch will bite at around 1200 rpm so just move your foot from the brake to the throttle as normal and don't press too hard or it will try and pull the clutch in quickly. I know someone who twisted a driveshaft by flooring it too quickly after releasing the brakes in a QP so try to avoid that... I always go into neutral at traffic lights. There is some conjecture of over the benefits of this as the clutch stays pulled in for 30 seconds after you have gone into neutral so it doesn't prevent wear of the release bearing, but it does mean that if the clutch is dragging slightly it will reduce the wear on the clutch plates.

2) Yes - if the car is in gear when you turn it off it will stay in gear and supplement the handbrake - always a good idea with our cars.

3) When you say it doesn't work do you mean in terms of heat output or the fan? If the fan works but it blows cold you might have and airlock or a sticking valve / flap. If the fan doesn't work its probably a duff connection. The main symptom of a knackered matrix is antifreeze in the footwells - not to be mistaken for normal water in the footwell which is a blocked condensate drain from the air con.

CatmanV2

2) Even better, don't use the handbrake until the MOT is due. Prevents the shoes from locking on then delaminating.

C

Rick1008

Hi Zep,

Thank you for your reply. Much obliged :)
The heater/fan icons are displayed on the screen, but i cant hear the fan or feel any heat...The heated seats work....the mirrors tilt down in reverse, but dont adjust when I press the joypad and they dont fold in...

Cheers
Rick

CatmanV2

Check the fan connector under the glove box. They have a habit of melting and coming loose. That prevents the blower from working as there seems to be some kind of self test.

If that doesn't help it might be that your pollen filter / airbox is full or rain due to a blocked drain (which you want to sort out ASAP) to prevent water on the electronics.

On the positive note, unless the issue has got severe, fan failure is unlikely to be linked to a shot matrix.

C

FIFTY

Welcome! Doesn't sound like heater matrix is causing that but it's worth checking if it has failed anyway as they only last 10-15 years (blend of aluminium with plastic end caps that deteriorate)

If the car steams up easily with a soapy residue up the windscreen it's a sign. Also if coolant level constantly drops... easiest way to be sure is to remove to kick plate in the passenger footwell and remove the 3-4 screws holding the trim up the side of the transmission tunnel and look for damp patches on the wiring looms, fuse box, carpets etc. the tell tale taste of coolant.

Can't help you with the CC box I have a manual :firing6:

CatmanV2

...the mirrors tilt down in reverse, but dont adjust when I press the joypad and they dont fold in...

Cheers
Rick

Just saw this bit. The switch under the mirror pad needs to be moved to left or right if memory serves, to make them adjust? Just making sure you're not missing something basic (try a GT mirror adjust switch!)

C

Rick1008

Thanks everyone for your kind assistance. Catman, when I press the mirror joypad to adjust nothing happens. I also cant fold the mirrors in, when I press that button. When reverse gear is selected, they do dip so I can see the curb.....

CatmanV2

Likely the pad has broken then, but you do understand that the three position switch underneath the pad must *not* be in the centre to adjust the mirrors, yes?

Rick1008

Yes, ive tried that already. The folding mirrors button does nothing too. Maybe a fuse issue?

D Walker

As they are independently motorised i'd be looking at something common, so its a signal or power to both, yes look for a fuse, if not then I would suggest having a look under the control pad.

Unfortunately I dont't have a wiring diagram handy / or on lap top

rockits

You better hope the fan issue is not whole the blower unit. Had that on the project 4200/GS. Dashboard out!

Mine gave intermittent working blower unit but mainly nor working. There is a diagnostic error code that come up on the dash LCD with fault code to pinpoint the error. It is on here somewhere. Look at my 4200/GS/hybrid thread as it is all on there.

FIFTY

Yes, ive tried that already. The folding mirrors button does nothing too. Maybe a fuse issue?

The fuse for the power wing mirrors also controls the 12v cigarette lighter output. If that is also dead then it's very likely the fuse

Rick1008

Cheers again everyone. Will investigate further and report back. Have a lovely weekend!

Rick

RoaryRati

Yes - welcome - you're going to have great fun. I have an 02 plated 4200 (spyder) and recognise several of your issues!!

1. Hill starts/parking on a slope - on mine I gather the handbreak is reknowned for being c..p. For hill starts and being rather weak I have to use my left foot on the break as I am not strong enough to pull the handbreak on hold the car and re. parking on a slope we now leave ALL our cars in gear (having once witnessed our s2000 trying to roll away!). Also I have been advised that you need to pull the handbreak vertically up - ours is on the far side of the centre console, so I lean across to ensure I pull it up straight, rather than putting a bit of sideways pull on it.

2. Leaking heater matrix - my car is just recovering from one which, sadly, had been going on for some time (but the heater always worked) - the only clue really was the coolant level regularly required re-filling despite the car passing 'water pressure' tests - or whatever. Instead of lifting up the metal floor in the passenger footwell (probably beyond my capabilities) I inserted a white bit of kitchen towel there - it turned a lovelly shade of blue!!

Hope that helps

F456M

Congratulations!

The Maserati life is "one step above" the BMW and Audi life. I bought my first Maseati at age 21 and never regret it. Had a BMW 320 (carbed inline six) as a winter toy while the Maserati 222 4v. was in winter storage. After that, another eight Maseratis. One thing I really appreachiate, are the cold mornings when the Modenese animal wakes into life and warms my body and heart! Enjoy it.

Has the Cambiocorsa cars really a hill hold function? I did not know that.. How do you use it? My E46 M3 SMG has it and I have to hold the DOWN paddle while in 1st and with the foot on the brake. That makes the revs og up and then it can (theoreticly) stand still at a hill before I press the accellerator. Not really something I have to use much but a cool function. I have never tried it on my 2002 Cambiocorsa though....

Rick1008

Hi Roary! Thanks for the heads up!

Hi F456M! The M3 is has become a 'rude boy' toy and seems to have the wrong image attached to it. I'm approaching my 40's and fancied something a bit more classy. Ultimately the V8 Ferrari connection sold it for me :)

I want to add a bluetooth adapter to the car but cant seem to find the forum link for the DIY guide....
Also, what options do I have in terms of minor exhaust tweeks?