Low audio volume on AUX (using a Bluetooth adapter) - ideas? solutions?

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I play audio from my (android) phone via a BT adapter plugged into the Aux socket (for audio) and USB (for power) - on my 2009 facelift QP.

I was using a TauTronics BT device, and am now trying an Anker one which has a nice control button you can stick on the dash.

BUT with either of these devices, the audio volume (via the AUX channel) is quite low. Just about loud enough to hear, when on max, but no higher. (The Tau has a volume control, but that is on max, too, as is the phone.) Whereas the radio, CD, etc all play pretty loudly at a mid volume setting, and can be turned up to ear-splitting.

Any thoughts on why this is, and any solutions? Is there some sort of in-line amp you can get?

rockits

Had a similar thing on the AUX port on a 2012 S212 Merc E Class Estate. It was a known issue that the AUX port had lower line signal/output than the other channels. I know there was someone who put an inline signal booster in place with success. The volume level was enough for me though that it never caused me an issue. This one sounds very low from what you are saying.

I was guess it would need to be well earthed/shielded/isolated etc. So it didn't amplify any noise/interance as not an optical connection. But you know this anyway.

I have one in the XC90 & it works well on AUX. In my experience the levels and noise can vary massively model to model. Had a DICE or two in old E39 540 BM's years ago & they were fab but used the old CD changer optical connections.

outrun

If you’re using a phone to stream, turn up the volume on the phone while the service ie Spotify is streaming.

rockits

I'd expect Mark would have thought of that....he's no dummy. Mark....feel free to prove me wrong

P R

My Ghibli USB stick used to be on the quiet side compared to the radio. I used a program to amplify the music files. Worked a treat with no need to buy anything. It would mean if you played the music on other sources it might deafen you!

MGT

Is the Aux normal volume when your phone is plugged straight in? If so it's probably an underpowered BT adapter. Try to find one with an amplifier in.

Mattp

Why not bite the bullet and just get a loudlink? It maybe more expensive, but mine works really well, plenty loud enough, supports Bluetooth apt-x and I really appreciate the track skip on the steeringwheel. :)

MGT

Why not bite the bullet and just get a loudlink? It maybe more expensive, but mine works really well, plenty loud enough, supports Bluetooth apt-x and I really appreciate the track skip on the steeringwheel. :)

More details? for a GT?

Mattp

Loudlink.eu
It's a Bluetooth receiver that plugs in in-place of the CD changer.
I thought they did a unit for all the cars, but looks like it's just the pre face lift QP and pre GT cars... but if you have a 6 disc changer then i would have thought it should work.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Mine is a post-facelift QP with no CD player, so would loudlink be an option for that?

rockits

Might be a block connector & wiring ready for a cd changer in the little compartment below the steering wheel. That would be where it would plug in if you haven't a CD changer. Can't belief the wiring wouldn't be there.

CatmanV2

It looks like what I need is a 'headphone amplifier' (probably), like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SaoMai®-Portable-Amplifier-Headphone-Earphone-HA4-Black/dp/B077HPP4F1

So my next question is this: Can I power both the BT receiver AND the headphone amplifier from the USB socket in the glove box? I suppose some sort of little USB hub might work....

If you have power issues from the USB socket, you'll have the same power issues from a hub, unless it has an additional *external* power supply......

<edit> I see it has a battery so you might well find it charges OK when you're not using it then runs off the battery. It will rather depend on how much current the BT adapter is using, and how much the USB socket is set to provide.

C

Masser50

My Layen I-dock 4.1 works fine. Maybe get a receiver that transmits higher than bluetooth 2.0, such as the Layen?