Conference in Bologna - how to travel

Scaf

Two months after acquiring my GTS I took a wild road trip down to Bologna taking 10days, now
I have decided to attend a conference in Bologna in early April.

Question is do I drive (GTS)
Or fly

Clearly the Alpine routes would be ruled out due to snow and I won't have time to meander - it would have to be a full on drive down with an overnight stay somewhere.

What to do .....

Contigo

Sponsor
Bologna is about an hour and fifteen minute flight so much easier to fly. However it's one **** of a drive and in the GTS it would be even better. You could go down and take in the Lakes though which would be awesome. Whilst in Bologna you may as well take the GTS back to the Modena plant and also arrange a visit to the Pagani factory.

allandwf

If it's a quick trip down, and not much time for play or detours, I would fly. Take the car another time when you can take in the sights as Phil mentioned.

safrane

If you are planning to stay for a few days then take the car as Phil suggest.

If just attending the conference then fly.

You may want to see the Trident and Neptune statue in the square it may still be under covers during its renovation.

We stayed in the Art Commercial hotel on the old square... has a good private garage there as well.

Scaf

Cheers guys - I have been before and took in all the sights - bloody statue was covered up though !
Guess Inam looking for some encouragement to put some miles and smiles on the GTS !

Scaf

Cheers guys - I have been before and took in all the sights - bloody statue was covered up though !
Guess Inam looking for some encouragement to put some miles and smiles on the GTS !

P R

The motorway through Switzerland will be open and still a stunning drive... no brainer for me, if you have the time, then drive

MrMickS

I'd fly for a conference. No open passes, car would be parked up most of the day so you wouldn't have much chance to use it except for the trip up and down.

G

Guest 1678

Have done the trip to Le Marche on a number of occasions.

Hit the early ferry and when you land in France about 10.30 local set the Sat Nav to Lake Como. You will be there about 11 hours later:
French Section - 350 miles of absolute pants
Swiss Drive - Awesome 3 hours, with tunnel tomfoolery to listen to the exhaust
Italian Drive - Enter via the region with all the Castles and waterfalls at night - stunning.
Hit Como - drink beer, sleep
Head to Bologna - next morning allow 4.5 hours

No brainer - get the plane!

RoaryRati

Yes loving mountain passes but hating traffic jams and motorways (or the European equivalent), at that time year, and given your schedule, personally I'd fly

Contigo

Sponsor
The roads around Garda are amazing this is one near Tremosine. A-may-zing and scary at the same time...

19961336_10155920472025016_5902744229553627080_n.jpg

You can see how much there is around Modena for the petrolhead.

20046274_10155902917245016_7469764022165345106_n.jpg

Pagani musuem and factory tour.

19756523_10155902917585016_671132619205741469_n.jpg

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
An alternative approach would be overnight or day ferry from Harwich to the Hook of Holland, through the Netherlands until you pop out onto quite a lot of unrestricted Autobahn all the way to Switzerland. No idea, though, if getting from Switzerland to Italy in April might be a bit snowy, but it's a great drive and avoids, to paraphrase Damo, 25 miles of French sous-pantalons.

All depends on how much of the trip is conference and how much is you taking a couple of days either end for an epic drive.