Parking ticket advise

Ryandoc

Folks

I'm not adverse to holding my hands up and paying when it's due. However I've received a parking ticket from what I believe is a private company, well I know it is.

Was a Sunday and I parked in an empty doctors surgery car park right next door to leisure centre to take son to a party. It's £60 in 28 days or goes up to £100

Is anyone knowledgeable on these non council tickets and can advise please? I have a photo of what they've sent me which I can forward on to someone

Thanks

Contigo

Sponsor
If it a PCN rather than an actual council Parking Fine (FPN) then you would need to first appeal to the issuers (read the ticket for how to appeal) if that fails then you would need to appeal using Popla, the usual ones are on grounds of poor signage and unfair charges.

https://popla.co.uk/

That's your starting point.

Eight reasons you might refuse to pay

1. The contravention didn’t occur. For example, there were unclear or misleading signs, non-visible markings, or the ticket wasn't issued.

2. The parking firm is not a member of an accredited trade association (see below for more information).

3. The charge isn’t proportionate to the normal advertised costs of parking or the losses caused to the company or landowner - in practice this will probably only apply for charges in excess of £100.

4. You didn’t own the car when the parking ticket was issued. For example, it had been sold or stolen before the ticket was issued.

5. The payment machines were out of order and there was no other way of paying.

6. The parking company wasn’t responsible for looking after the land you parked on - this has been known to happen.

7. The parking ticket is invalid. For example key details such as the registration number are recorded incorrectly.

8. Mitigating circumstances. For example, health issues or vehicle breakdown.

I used this site for info and templates to win a case for my parents so it is well worth persevering imo.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-appeal-a-parking-ticket-on-private-land

IMPORTANT

Ignore unaccredited firms
Only members of accredited schemes can access DVLA data, while non-members can't. (check if they are accredited)
This means some independent car park operators can’t get your details in order to pursue a parking fine against you.
If you write to the company to complain about a parking charge, you are inadvertently providing them with your name and address.

Do not admit to owning the car or who was driving at the time.

D Walker

I paid mine on the basis I am a lazy git and it was easier to work the time to pay the £60.

I know I did park in a disabled space marked in dark blue with no light or signs but I couldn't be arsed....

Ryandoc

Thanks Contigo. I’ve read somewhere that it should have been issued within 14 days does this still count?

It was 17th December and letter only came yesterday, and it is a PCN yes

ofenomeno99

Please don't fall into this trap! It's not worth it!! I was in a similar position, travelled a lot, moved house, came back to what used to be a £60 ticket to a £380 fine AND a CCJ. Just pay the £60 and get on when your life.

2b1ask1

Special case
Parking cowboys, yes it must be issued within 14 days http://www.notomob.co.uk five minutes on there and you will find any number of reasons they are in the wrong. Was the car park illuminates and a clear sign at the entrance? Do they have genuine permission from the land owner? All of the above from Contego. Don’t give them your name or state you were driving if you communicate with them at all. An appeal will be rejected every time, they should provide a POPLA number with the rejection but that costs them so they won’t.

Contigo

Sponsor
Don't pay it, that's just lazy, it's the principle ffs! Why should they charge £60 to park for 1 hour ?

Ryandoc

Found a good template and have appealed based on 6 weeks to issue and have asked them to provide a Popla number so will see what happens.

It’s not the money at all it’s the principal

Contigo

Sponsor
Found a good template and have appealed based on 6 weeks to issue and have asked them to provide a Popla number so will see what happens.

It’s not the money at all it’s the principal

Good on you Ryan. You will win it mate. It's worth going back and taking photos of the signage if it wasn't obvious you were parking on private land etc...

I wish you luck. These doctors surgery car parks, private hospital car parks, hotel car parks for business meetings are using "Parking Eye" more and more and enforceable 24/7.
If this was the case and arose from the use of a camera-based recording system using ANPR it will be extremely challenging to win an appeal unless there was no signage highlighting that the system is operational during the time you were parked or that the PCN was received beyond the time-frame stipulated by law. But there is always a possibility as each case is judged individually.

Wack61

They just try it on hoping people will pay,

I got a proper council ticket, 30mins parking , parked, went to the post office then the bank, huge queue at both, got back and the warden was just walking off , 35 minutes , think that worked out at £30 for 5 minutes parking, almost as much as Knightsbridge, this was the days of tax discs, he had a scanner, zapped the barcode and a printer on his hip issued the ticket, 30 seconds tops.

I wonder if they've gone back to handwritten tickets now

Ryandoc

They don’t give a reason but pretty sure it will have been the fact it was 6 odd weeks before they issued it, their letter was very short and blunt, I’m hoping they lick the envelope through gritted teeth lol

iainw

Has anyone got a ticket for staying too long in a supermarket car park?
My wife popped into Sainsbury’s when my daughter was at school - did some shopping then had a breakfast
In their cafe- and took some work with her. The car was there in total Justin over four hours- but unbeknownst to me or her- there is a 2 hour limit on parking there. Seems crazy to me to fine a customer who used your shop and are in your cafe! Has anyone else experienced this? Seems mad to me

sionie1

Has anyone got a ticket for staying too long in a supermarket car park?
My wife popped into Sainsbury's when my daughter was at school - did some shopping then had a breakfast
In their cafe- and took some work with her. The car was there in total Justin over four hours- but unbeknownst to me or her- there is a 2 hour limit on parking there. Seems crazy to me to fine a customer who used your shop and are in your cafe! Has anyone else experienced this? Seems mad to me

If she was in the store using the cafe etc find out the store managers name and ask them to cancel the ticket. You may well have to submit a copy of the till receipt. I manage a team who often have this happen, and in 99% of the times it happens we get the ticket cancelled.

CatmanV2

If she was in the store using the cafe etc find out the store managers name and ask them to cancel the ticket. You may well have to submit a copy of the till receipt. I manage a team who often have this happen, and in 99% of the times it happens we get the ticket cancelled.

This

C