Replace XC90 4.4 V8 with something fast, interesting & reasonably practical...ideas?

rockits

That's cheap even for an older model. Range Rovers pre 09 were not as well built but still a nice place to be. Not that bargey and when you stick them in sport mode everything tightens up quite nicely.

Ive heard/read the later 2009-on were a fair bit better. Did you drive an older one to compare to your RR SC? I take it your is a later 2009-on?

rockits

But the XF Sportbrake might be a good replacement, although the 540bhp supercharged versions are probably out of budget

Indeed....£40k+ ;) Never been a fan of the interiors on the XF's. After having the XJ which was a very nice place to be they always seemed a little 2nd division.

zagatoes30

Ive heard/read the later 2009-on were a fair bit better. Did you drive an older one to compare to your RR SC? I take it your is a later 2009-on?

Yes we had an 03plate TD for 3 years, it was good but fragile and cost the warranty company a fortune. The current one is 09 plate, built by Jaguar and so much better in just about every way. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't advise anyone getting a pre 09 version unless they are super cheap and you are ready to spend on it.

rockits

Yes we had an 03plate TD for 3 years, it was good but fragile and cost the warranty company a fortune. The current one is 09 plate, built by Jaguar and so much better in just about every way. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't advise anyone getting a pre 09 version unless they are super cheap and you are ready to spend on it.

Thanks and agreed. Your car seemed a very good deal at the time. You happy with it?

Maybe half a snob. When you get spoilt it is hard to move down ;) Shame they don't do an XJ Estate....now that would be massive!

zagatoes30

Thanks and agreed. Your car seemed a very good deal at the time. You happy with it?

It is awesome in every way, well built, comfortable, fast, handles (especially in sport mode), can take loads in the back and will pull a house down (never even notice our 1800kgs caravan is on the back). Fuel economy is best not talked about, 20+ when cruising and a steady 18.8 overall since we have had it.

philw696

Have to say I love mine.
The advice I was given was to buy 07 onwards and the easiest way to identify them is the ignition key is in the dash and you have the rotary knob for suspension settings.
They are well built and what a place to be on a Long Journey having just done 3,500 kilometers and a lot of New Zealand I can vouch from experience

Mines a Vogue non SC but still gets up and goes.

azapa

We have had a few scoobies as family cars. The later gen (2007 ish) legacy estates still turn my head, lovely shape to them. But then we bought a 2010 Forrester, new. Mechanical box, 2.0 petrol with the high/low 4wd lever. Sounded good on paper but was quite sh1te. Gearbox barfed all over the driveway, new one needed, and the thing had so little torque it could not get out of underground car parks. No more scoobies. Rant over.

Oh, the M5. Buy that. I just saw an e39 version that had my man math calculator (and garage rearranging geometry sketches) all worked up.

zagatoes30

The first upgrade was 2007 and as you say the key moved to the dash, in 2009 the big upgrade came in and it went to push button start with the LCD clocks (completely new electrical system). At this time you the diesel changed to a Ford sources 3.6 V8 and petrol engines moved from BMW to 4.2 Jag units. Late 2010 the diesel went to 4.4 V8 (still Ford) and got the superb 8 speed box, you can spot these as they have a round knob to select the gears rather than a normal gear shift on the 6 speed auto. The SC petrol didn't get the 8 speed box until the latest shape came in in 2013 or so.

rockits

Had a nice 2000 facelift Sport in Dark Blue metallic with beige/tan leather. Lovely car and drive. Fancy something a smidge quicker/spicier though.

rockits

Not sure that quite suits my quietly confident understated character. I'd have to move your side of the world