Replace XC90 4.4 V8 with something fast, interesting & reasonably practical...ideas?

rockits

I ran one for a year and loved it. Seriously, try one. If you can live with the 12-15mpg! It's just such a nice SUV to drive.
I'll have a look. Not fussed about mpg. Aren't the early cars a bit....well...ugly? Is there a better year to look from?

D Walker

Ah, I thought you were going mad and spending 30k, just read the front end again,,, yeah you are right, under 15k is uber miles, pig ugly and probably going to be expensive...

Merc it is....

rockits

Ah, I thought you were going mad and spending 30k, just read the front end again,,, yeah you are right, under 15k is uber miles, pig ugly and probably going to be expensive...

Merc it is....
I could have gone mad but decided to let a solicitor & planning consultant relieve me of a few k instead. I'll keep you posted as to developments of course

Going to see an E55K Estate tomorrow.

Contigo

Sponsor
I had an M5 Touring and agree with the advice not to run one without a mondial warranty! Bork factor is high and will be ruinous...

D Walker

I could have gone mad but decided to let a solicitor & planning consultant relieve me of a few k instead. I'll keep you posted as to developments of course

Going to see an E55K Estate tomorrow.

In High Wycombe per chance.....

Contigo

Sponsor
AMG hard to beat in biturbo estate form but ask Damo about his experience. Drive so well though and very capable. Shame you need the Estate as it is limited market. The V10 C6 RS6 is sterile , the B8 RS4 is much better. What about an aging B7 V8. RS4 Avant? Get the engine decoked too and you get the best of both worlds as you keep an awesome sounding NA V8.

rockits

I had an M5 Touring and agree with the advice not to run one without a mondial warranty! Bork factor is high and will be ruinous...
Agreed. I'm happy to take a punt on things but I'm not stupid. The E55K is one of the most sensible less sensible cars around.

rockits

AMG hard to beat in biturbo estate form but ask Damo about his experience. Drive so well though and very capable. Shame you need the Estate as it is limited market. The V10 C6 RS6 is sterile , the B8 RS4 is much better. What about an aging B7 V8. RS4 Avant? Get the engine decoked too and you get the best of both worlds as you keep an awesome sounding NA V8.
The S212 E63 BiTurbo is certainly an option. I know of a 64 plate forum car for mid to late 20's which is interesting. Would be a nice car at 25k.

I agree on the Audi's. Drove a mate's RS4 saloon manual V8 which was quick but harsh/hard & difficult to make smooth progress at anything less than 9/10's. The new V6 BiTurbo doesn't really interest me like most modern turbo motors.

rockits

Did Damo have issues with his? Head bolts or other issues?

MrPea

A friend of mine had the original RS4 estate. Aftermarket exhaust and a custom remap = more torque than a Veyron. It was epic!

I'm certainly finding this thread of particular interest as I'll soon be looking for a "small" estate that's "a bit interesting".

rockits

I don't tend to hang around when I know what I want. Find it....see it....good enough....buy it

The guy was a retired engineer that supplied Bentley/VW, Dyson & MoD. Bought it from a McLaren engineer & has had it for 7 years. Just replaced it as needed to tow his car trailer etc. with a Touareg V10 R50.

It isn't perfect but not far off & reflected in the buy price. A straight honest genuine car from a straight honest decent seller. Good enough for me for the daily workhorse for a few years. Lovely drivetrain that AMG lump.

philw696

That's the way.
Bought my 360 Modena the weekend after going to Le Mans with Frank in is and a bit of egging on from the forum ;)