Cracked Pirelli Corsa

FF1078

There has been another thread on here about the above before but I'm just sharing some pictures of mine. The car is a 2014 so they've probably been on since new as they are on the front and have covered 10000 miles but they have well over 2/3 wear left in them but they are fekked.
I'm going to put Pilot Supersports on the front as I fitted them on the rears late last year but please all check yours.20180204_121556[1].jpg20180204_121611[1].jpg

zagatoes30

I had a set of Goodyear F1s that did that but the crack was from the inside out, only noticed when they were removed for fitment of the winters.

allandwf

I'd be complaining about those too. Normally cracks with age appear more at the shoulder, at least any I've seen in the past have.

azapa

I think the age and the cold kills tires in general. Mine have no cracks, and as far as I can tell are still the originals (4 years old). But they are well worn and have hardened. The corsa is 50% softer than the regular Pzero, and I think they just were not made for cooler operating conditions. Think worst case scenario: short, not too stressful (or in traffic) driving in cold climates.

Scaf

When I got my 2010 GTS the front tyres were like that - but still had 5mm on them.
Didn’t notice until after delivery but dealer was honest about it and we went 50/50.
Perfectly legal, will pass an MOT but must be dangerous (or at least not as amsafe as they should be)

FF1078

When I got my 2010 GTS the front tyres were like that - but still had 5mm on them.
Didn’t notice until after delivery but dealer was honest about it and we went 50/50.
Perfectly legal, will pass an MOT but must be dangerous (or at least not as amsafe as they should be)

Pass an MOT with cracks? Not that I'd keep them on like that. I wouldn't like to be doing 70mph and the front tyre goes.

azapa

As I am now shopping to replace mine, I have just read what they really say 'on the box'. May put things in to perspective:

The P Zero Corsa is Pirelli's DOT-legal Competition tyre primarily developed for use on high performance cars at drivers' schools and lapping days conducted on race tracks. The P Zero Corsa incorporates Pirelli's racing experience to enhance driving satisfaction at the limits of performance.
On the outside, The P Zero Corsa uses a high hysteresis tread compound that transfers the vehicle's horsepower to a dry track by developing inspiring grip at high tread temperatures. This tread compound is molded into a unique asymmetric and directional tread pattern that features a sturdy outer shoulder to provide lateral stability and cornering grip, while grooves in the tyre's central and inner tread areas enhance wet track handling and braking. The P Zero Corsa's asymmetric and directional tread design requires separate "left" and "right" side tyres for the vehicle as branded on each tyre's sidewall. On the inside, the P Zero Corsa features highly flexible steel belts reinforced by spirally wound nylon to enhance steering precision and provide high-speed capability while reducing weight.

Strad

Just emailed them so I'll let you all know the outcome.

Nick - you may have seen my post, I had the same and with cracks on the sidewall. The car was just over a year old though the DOT numbers showed 2014 tyres. Pirelli UK replaced all four tyres and the new corsa tyres have transformed the car. No more hops and skips and really inspires confidence so I’m happy to stick with the tyre that all the R&D concluded was the best for the Stradale.
If you don’t get anywhere, then PM me and I’ll dig out the contact details at Pirelli. Mark.

Sticks

I had exactly the same. Pirelli paid for new tyres, after many weeks of presumably assessing them. There was a bit of shenanigans because one is supposed to return faulty ones to the supplying dealer, but they are in Leeds and I am in London, but we eventually got over that hurdle.

FF1078

I'm just waiting for an email address from "Strad" as my email to Pirelli seems to have fallen on deaf ears!

Strad

Nick - you should have the email address now. It’s the one behind the ‘Contact Us’ link on Pirelli GB website. They were quick to respond though as with Sticks, they started suggesting it went back to the supplying dealer (JCT600 Leeds) which wasn’t going to work from East Anglia.
In the end an engineer came out and authorised their local centre (Protyre) to fit four news ones - I had only seen cracks on the rears so thought it all pretty good service.
The bit I don’t get is why a July 2016 car had 2014 year tyres on it........
Mark.

azapa

Mark.

...such a low volume production tire they probably only do one run a year. Makes you wonder if they were well stored before fitting, or drying out in a scorching warehouse somewhere...

FF1078

Nick - you should have the email address now. It’s the one behind the ‘Contact Us’ link on Pirelli GB website. They were quick to respond though as with Sticks, they started suggesting it went back to the supplying dealer (JCT600 Leeds) which wasn’t going to work from East Anglia.
In the end an engineer came out and authorised their local centre (Protyre) to fit four news ones - I had only seen cracks on the rears so thought it all pretty good service.
Mark.

Thanks Mark
Pirelli have responded and I'll keep you all informed.

FF1078

Pirelli are sending out an engineer to inspect the tyres.
Very good service up to now.

Scaf

Hope you get a result with the tyres.

Have have some tears that seem to have lost their tread really quickly, perhaps I should send an email :as004:

FF1078

Well ther nice man from Pirelli came this morning and he's given me a tyre, I have to buy the other side which is fair enough as it's only one that is cracking, and they're 4 years opld with 10,000 miles on.
He blamed it on using tyre conditioner to make them look shiney, not sure why as the other side hasn't cracked but anyway he's given me one free of charge so cant complain.