Headlamp Switch on GS

Jnismith

The headlamp switch on my new GS is spilt. This came up on the PPI at McGraths but they have quoted £181 plus VAT plus labour to fit it. I’m assuming this is a new part. Eurospares have this for £126 new or £70 second hand. Any thoughts on this and would it be easy to fit myself?

conaero

Forum Owner
Its probably the same as Alfas of that ear, can you post a pic?

Failing that get a used one from David Askew or Trident Spares.

Cant see it being more than £20

Jnismith

Its not quite the same as the Alfa 166 which is the closest. That seems to be combined with the adjustment switch when on the GS its separate. I've already emailed David Askew. Will have a look at Trident Spares. Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 14.05.27.jpg

spkennyuk

The switch mechanism behind the black plastic facia plate and selector knob might be the same as a 166. You can possibly swap just those bits over. Is there any manufactures markings on the metal body that can be checked ?

Thia is the alfa 166 body markings.

SmartSelectImage_2018-02-16-15-59-47.jpg

Jnismith

Dunno, Haven't tried to get it out yet, its just the "turny bit" (technical term), that's broken. I think thats the selector knob. Might be able to just use an Alfa one and then replace the bits I need. Do you know how it unclips?

Jnismith

I just pulled it off and I'm fairly sure its the same. All I need is the bit that pulls off, seems a bit of a waste to buy the whole unit. But I can get that for £40. Or I could just put some superglue on the old one. Either way, its going to be a lot cheaper. Thanks.

IMG_4386.jpg

spkennyuk

Nowt to loose by super glueing it first and then put some epoxy round the repair to reinforce the repair.