Apple HomePod

Wack61

Looked in a charity shop window on wednesday , saw some speakers so went in for a nosey
They were huge B&W DM6 , as I was about to leave I spotted an amp Quad 405 and a Quad 33 preamp
So :D

They weren't charity shop money though unfortunately View attachment 67297
Well that was disappointing , set them up today after waiting for a DIN to phono adapter AAANNNDD nothing , preamp lights up but the power amp is dead , replaced the fuse but nothing so they're going back when the shop opens again :(

Wack61

Oh that's a shame :(
C
At least this one has a warranty
My hifi guy has a list to get through at his workshop plus I've got 2 amps , a dvd player , a turntable and a cassette deck to take up.

Just streaming some Brian eno , he's got my Marantz CD94 , I think he likes it because it's been on test for 2 months to make sure it's ok when I get it back

CatmanV2

Brian Eno has your CD94? Can't he get his own? ;)

I've started working 'differently' and can't hack no / bad quality music in the office, so there's a little bluetooth amp coming on Sunday to plug into my Minipods. Found them in Cash Converters in Baker's Arms years back. Paid about a fiver for them I recall.....

C

Wack61

Brian Eno has your CD94? Can't he get his own? ;)

I've started working 'differently' and can't hack no / bad quality music in the office, so there's a little bluetooth amp coming on Sunday to plug into my Minipods. Found them in Cash Converters in Baker's Arms years back. Paid about a fiver for them I recall.....

C
Not quite
There's some Brian eno in that 250 CD collection I bought a few weeks ago , so far it's a bit background music for my tastes
I've had a few bargains in cash converters, got a denon home cinema amp they'd reduced to £150 , it was still £400 on ebay at the time, they all looked bored so I've no idea why they didn't just check it themselves and put it on there.

It was mint, still had the setup mike which always goes missing

CatmanV2

I've had a few bargains in cash converters,

Most of my watches have come from Cash Converters at significantly lower than the market value, it's very odd.

If things go OK one of those Audengines looks nice but I might just go for another Cyrus streamer.

C

Wack61

I've spent today updating all the drivers on my laptop which is now running windows 10 pro , I've also decided it's time I ripped my CD collection but I'm a bit unsure of the best way of doing it, is there an idiot proof app or software for flac, so far all I've found is clickbait , thanks

Wack61

Decided that was too much like hard work , bought an innuos zen music server /CD ripper, saves them to flac and downloads track listings and covers , does a CD in about 7 minutes then spits it out

I've also just bought this to try out
20200606_220731.jpg

It came with a £430 invoice for a full refurbishment in 2018

Last edited:

CatmanV2

Nice

Gut feeling is it would be too warm for me.

Mrs C and I spent the afternoon listening to music in the lounge. Amazing

C

Wack61

Most of the things I buy can be sold at a profit if they work and more or less break even if they need fixing
Unfortunately most of the things I've bought recently need fixing , I've still got the quad preamp which powers up so hopefully it works , the charity shop I bought it from has been closed since so I haven't been able to return the non working power amp

Wack61

I've eventually got this setup

Tried a pye pre-amp I had from the 80s but it needs work as you can't adjust the volume without it crackling that much it scares the birds off the roof

The quad 303 pre-amp works, only this one doesn't go to eleven, you can barely get it to one before it's too loud so I think I might need a passive pre-amp with no gain

It sounds amazing though , I may as well buy a new pre-amp as quality din to phono adapters for CD ,Vinyl ,audio engine will cost as much as a passive pre-amp

20200630_104334.jpg

Last edited: