Porsche stops Diesel engine production.

Andyk

Was thinking Peter that Maserati missed the boat on this as they were late to the party....and now the party is nearly over.

safrane

When the first QPs and Ghibli with diesel engines were announced some four years ago I said the same...China has even worse air than us, so I suspect they will drive most manufacturers to ditch the derv.

As Maserati have put almost their entire basket of eggs into this as their future...so will there be one?

Jnismith

Three years ago, we had 2 diesel cars, now we have 3 petrol. Can’t see myself ever buying another one. Good opportunity to wind up my mate who bought a diesel Macan last year though.

rockits

I don't get it. Not that much has changed in so few years. People knew how dirty diesel was & always has been. The devils fuel should have been kyboshed yonks ago.

It is good of course don't get me wrong but why are we.always so slow to take enough action fast enough.

Need I mention plastic bags etc.?! If I was PM I would ban plastic bags tomorrow......vote rockits

No idea how to spell kyboshed BTW! Is that right?

bigbob

No one knew how much they were all lying a few years back. Thing is very few diesel engines will meet the new 6b regulations. Hats off to Porsche.

rockits

The liars knew they were lying

Others would have known.

When all these scandals come out it is constantly surprising how many people knew & nothing was said or done. Or it was swept under the carpet or compromises like the 'greater good' or 'it is best for all' are the phrase that get talked about at the time.

It often is always known.

Zep

The whole thing was a massive con. The government ministers involved were assured that the particulate filter was the answer to the soot. It works well in PCVs and trucks because they are serviceable items, but in cars, that are poorly maintained and regulated it was a disaster. Then oxides of nitrogen became the new enemy, no easy way of fixing them.

Let's be honest, if you sit on a diesel train they pump their carriages full of more fumes than you could get if you sat all day on a busy London street. Does a train built in the 70's to run on low grade diesel and re-engined in the early 90's match any car for emissions? The railway makes VW look like saints.

Gp79

I’ll certainly buy another diesel - 3 yr old bmw 520d

Will be cheaper than the last one in current climate, then run it until it’s worn out, like my current one which is nearly at 170k but still going well, original dpf, turbo etc.

This is all nonsense, the government will go through then change heart when we are all driving battery / hybrids

rockits

That is the problem for me & always has been. If I'm trusting the govt. & they are doing a decent job & led by decent people who seem to be doing a decent job in an uncompromising way then I can get on board....we all can. If we can't believe that is happening & things are done right & fair by educated individuals then it all falls down. It has always fallen down for me in my 45 years on this planet.

Many politicians are just as corrupt as the people/companies/world they are trying to govern. It all falls down & is meaningless. I can't buy into it as I don't believe or true them.

I've been in business a fair time. I currently have no desire to grow, to employ people, to invest, to take risk or any of the things that business & entrepreneurs normally do. The odds are stacked against you, the regulation & regulations are ridiculous & margins too low with often customer demands/expectation levels too high especially in London/South East.

It all stinks.

MrMickS

Its good to see Porsche stop making a diesel, especially as the diesel SUVs were probably their biggest sellers. The alternative has to be petrol/electric hybrids and that'll be where the next push will come. Hopefully all of the silence from Maserati is because they've got this sort of hybrid powertrain under development. I suspect not though and they'll be late to the next party.

The only chance of expansion in China, which is where the growth is, will be in the electric/hybrid market. Petrol V8s just won't do it and would condemn them to a quick death rather than a slow and lingering one.

Interestingly I read this article http://www.thedrive.com/tech/18626/...ng-of-autonomous-cars-as-americans-study-says which unfortunately suggests that there will be more autonomous driving features alongside the new power plants. Why anyone would buy a Maserati and have it drive itself I don't know, as long as its optional I don't care but I fear it being forced on us whether we want it or not.

Ewan

Maserati have a good recent(ish) history with small, twin-turbo petrol engines, such as the 330bhp 2 litre used in the Ghibli Cup 21 years ago. Let's have that type of engine back, with a bit of electric boost to add to over 400bhp.

MrMickS

Maserati have a good recent(ish) history with small, twin-turbo petrol engines, such as the 330bhp 2 litre used in the Ghibli Cup 21 years ago. Let's have that type of engine back, with a bit of electric boost to add to over 400bhp.

It would be good to see this sort of development, at a technical engine level, especially given their history.

Andyk

That could be the answer Ewan. When I think of Maserati Bi Turbo springs to mind before V8. Probably as that's what I grew up with.

safrane

I have no doubt they have the know how and capabilities... but do they have the cash to pay for its development given that they are unlikely to have had pay back from the last new engines.