Refurbishing Steering Wheel Cowl (4200) Sticky Finish

Vampyrebat

Right all

I have just finished the above and it took me approx. 5 hours. Very similar to Fernando's bit on refurbing the dashboard air vent.

Firstly, remove your upper/lower cowling (this is done by removing 5 no. alan key bolts from below and 2 no. micro screw from the top cowling on both sides, steering wheel can stay on).

With both sections removed, start by heating up the sticky finish with a hair dryer in sections and whilst hot scratch off the majority with a blunt tool so as not to scratch the plastic underneath (I used my thumb nails)!
WP_20180219_13_38_17_Pro.jpgWP_20180219_15_32_13_Pro.jpg

When this has been done to both sections, rub the surfaces with white spirit/turps until all of the remaining sticky finish is removed, this takes some patients and elbow greese, ensure all has been totally removed and your cowlings should look a bit matt and milky like below
WP_20180220_16_18_16_Pro.jpgWP_20180220_16_19_20_Pro.jpg

Now you can use any car finishing polish and give all sections a good polish and buff and it should end up like below. The first picture shows part polished for about 1 minute and then buffed to show the difference the polish makes. The last is the finished result. Mine was sticky and there were many scratches especially around the key entry like so many others. These have all gone and looks like new with no maintenance.............Hope this helps you all!!
WP_20180220_16_25_42_Pro.jpgWP_20180220_17_14_38_Pro.jpg

alfatwo

Nice one, strange though as you don't get that effect on 3200's and it's the same part..

Dave

Gp79

Good work, not a problem on my GS yet, strange as it has suffered every other common issue, rusty subframes, F1 pump failure, tie rods worn, heater matrix leak, hot start issue, useless handbrake.

Still love it but never thought I’d have to restore it in stages!

Vampyrebat

Dave
Are you saying that the 3200 is the same part but without the horrible sticky finish?

Gp
I think it can depend on how exposed these parts are to the sun as the only items I had a problem with was the dash top fan and cowl (top only, bottom part was not tacky but had some scratches in the finish where the last owners had missed with the key). The two items that get the sun constantly when we have it!! If your GS lives in a garage then I don't think you will have a problem.

I was also thinking of treating the top of the dash in grey alcantara to match the roof lining/break up the all black interior and use up the left over. Your thoughts on this or do you think I'm going a bit Pimpy!!??

adam01

Dave
Are you saying that the 3200 is the same part but without the horrible sticky finish?

Gp
I think it can depend on how exposed these parts are to the sun as the only items I had a problem with was the dash top fan and cowl (top only, bottom part was not tacky but had some scratches in the finish where the last owners had missed with the key). The two items that get the sun constantly when we have it!! If your GS lives in a garage then I don't think you will have a problem.

I was also thinking of treating the top of the dash in grey alcantara to match the roof lining/break up the all black interior and use up the left over. Your thoughts on this or do you think I'm going a bit Pimpy!!??
Nope

Affects cars that are mostly garaged as well ad in my case

More to do with ageing but that also is somewhat random

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Corranga

You could also potentially get it trimmed in leather or suede to match your interior, with some neat stitching lines.

Hesk

I have found 70% rubbing alcohol from chemists (about £2 a bottle) great for de-stickying switches and trims (including the ends of an older Dualit toaster!)

Raulpereg

Right all

I have just finished the above and it took me approx. 5 hours. Very similar to Fernando's bit on refurbing the dashboard air vent.

Firstly, remove your upper/lower cowling (this is done by removing 5 no. alan key bolts from below and 2 no. micro screw from the top cowling on both sides, steering wheel can stay on).

With both sections removed, start by heating up the sticky finish with a hair dryer in sections and whilst hot scratch off the majority with a blunt tool so as not to scratch the plastic underneath (I used my thumb nails)!
View attachment 47526View attachment 47527

When this has been done to both sections, rub the surfaces with white spirit/turps until all of the remaining sticky finish is removed, this takes some patients and elbow greese, ensure all has been totally removed and your cowlings should look a bit matt and milky like below
View attachment 47529View attachment 47530

Now you can use any car finishing polish and give all sections a good polish and buff and it should end up like below. The first picture shows part polished for about 1 minute and then buffed to show the difference the polish makes. The last is the finished result. Mine was sticky and there were many scratches especially around the key entry like so many others. These have all gone and looks like new with no maintenance.............Hope this helps you all!!
View attachment 47531View attachment 47532
Hi! The bolts below are all alen? Do you know size number? Im strugling to remove them...

Raulpereg

He anyone tacked metal interior door handles?. The finish looks crazed it’s almost like the lacquer is discoloured
No, but I would be also interested as I have refurbished the plastic cover but dont know how to dismount the lockers, and I think they go together with the handles. Im afraid dismounting door panel will be needed...

No, but I would be also interested as I have refurbished the plastic cover but dont know how to dismount the lockers, and I think they go together with the handles. Im afraid dismounting door panel will be needed...
I’ve taken off the door panel before and behind are some screws holding on the door handle and plastic retainer. These come apart but fiddly. But can be stripped, I will take mine apart and repaint it